• Register
  • Help

Topic: Does a bios RAM settings editor exist?

Share/Bookmark

Does a bios RAM settings editor exist?

A quick question about memory:

Several previous threads emphasized the importance of having the bios RAM settings match the actual settings required by a systems RAM. Suspect that I have a system that does not correctly auto-detect the RAM settings (cpu usage spikes with a very light load.) I downloaded CPU-Z, as reccommended but haven't as yet searched out the settings for the installed RAM.

When I checked the bios to see the settings (before using CPU-Z) I was surprised to see that there was no provision to manually adjust the bios RAM settings.

Is there a utility for making such adjustments or am I stuck with what the system auto-detects?

Thanks in advance.

Chet

Re: Does a bios RAM settings editor exist?

HI,
    all mobo bios' (except most laptops) have setting you can adjust.
    if its a Gigabyte you hav to hit F1 when in the bios to get the more advanced settings.

the exception to this is name brand computers who lock you out of bios settings.

RTM.

Scott
    ADK

Hi Scott

Thanks for the information. I am a fan of yours. I've learned a lot from your posts and respect the professionalism and integrity with which you do business.

The computer in question is an Everex laptop (XT5000T) and it does indeed lock me out of the bios RAM settings. That's why I'm interested in a bios settings editor. (Sorry I didn't make that clear) I've talked to Everex about this and tech support offered to replace the RAM (and mentioned that he himself would probably replace it with Corsair). Are either of these alternatives possible or likely to help? If not sufficiently for a DAW then for internet access machine?

Chet

HI Chet,

memory is the last thing you need to worry about in a note book.
    its the weakest link the subsystem.
    Laptops tend to fall short in 2 areas

1) Memory thruput
    2) HDD thruput.

even if you could tweak the bios it would result in little to no improvement.

the most important part of a laptop for pro audio is if it has NATIVE Texas Instruments chipset.
    if it does not chances are it will not perform well at all for audio.

the next thing is making sure your processor is running at full speed.
    all laptops have a speed throttle designed to save power.
    while that may be great for a biz man it is not good for pro audio.

install a program called speed switch. then set it to full power.

Scott
    ADK

Scott

Thanks for the information.

I knew that the TI firewire chips were necessary but although the Everex doesn't have them I thought I could workaround that using the Echo Indigo PC Card. But no, the Everex has an ExpressCard and the DuelAdaptor (as of this time) doesn't work with cards with an anti-static strip (such as the Indigo).

So it looks like the Everex will be my next internet access machine.

But just to be clear about the CPU utilization spikes, this was from in the 5 to 10% range to over 80% with no visible change: no new processes showing up in the task manager, no new programs launched, no tasks initiated in the running program, no print spooler running in the background, automatic updating turned off, not on an internal network, not on the internet, etc., etc., etc.

I'm concerned that even just for internet access this could be problematic.

Chet

the next thing is making sure your processor is running at full speed.
    all laptops have a speed throttle designed to save power.
    while that may be great for a biz man it is not good for pro audio.

install a program called speed switch. then set it to full power.

Scott

Speed Switch did indeed improve things significantly.

CPU utilization for the Everex is down to under 10% without spikes under the same conditions where it was above 80% before.

Thank you very kindly for your help.

Chet

Hey Chet,
    my pleasure! glad something i posted actually helped!

Scott

Go Back to forum