• Register
  • Help

Topic: GarageBand '08

Share/Bookmark

GarageBand '08

For those who are interested. The latest GarageBand that comes with iLife '08 for the Macintosh is, so far, completely compatible with Kontakt Player 2 and the Garritan line of products. So many great improvements have been added to this humble prosumer application...

Choice of export codec
    Tempo control
    Effects control
    More effects channels
    Region tracking lock
    24bit support
    Matrix EQ
    Arrangement grouping and labeling
    Notation editing and printing

Incredible, and alone worth the price of the entire package for $79
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Re: GarageBand '08

Schneb:

24-bit audio recording is a huge improvement for GarageBand.

Can you address multiple instruments within one instance of the Kontakt 2 player?

Can you have multiple MIDI channels on a single sequencer track?

These were the big built-in limitations in previous versions of GarageBand. You could only play one Garritan instrument in one Garritan player at a time. I hope they've redesigned things and gotten around this restriction. Otherwise, Logic Express is a better choice.
    Wheat Williams
    Atlanta, Georgia, USA
    Music Copyist in Sibelius
    Apple MacBook Pro, Mac OS X 10.8 Mountain Lion
    Apple Certified Support Professional. I also work with Windows.

Do you think GarageBand '08 is derived from a future Logic '08 or 'just' an updated version of the previous GarageBand?

Would you consider GarageBand a good utility to orchestral composition?

It could be just the thing to push me over to the "dark side" and buy me a mini!

I need good music software - might as well factor that into the price of the machine!
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Quote Originally Posted by BlueMax

It could be just the thing to push me over to the "dark side" and buy me a mini!

I need good music software - might as well factor that into the price of the machine!
    GarageBand is not a sequencer. If you want to sequence and manipulate it look elsewhere. I use Metro for the Mac. There are demos available at sagantech.biz. Three different prices.

Phil

I'm sorry I missed a lot of these questions back in August, but I will address a few of them now...

Can you address multiple instruments within one instance of the Kontakt 2 player?
    No, however, you can still use key switching to change the parameters within the instance.

Can you have multiple MIDI channels on a single sequencer track?
    The tracks stand alone within a project, but you can combine multiple tracks in to one track. For what you want, there is Logic and others.

These were the big built-in limitations in previous versions of GarageBand. You could only play one Garritan instrument in one Garritan player at a time. I hope they've redesigned things and gotten around this restriction. Alas, no. But it does not seem to slow things down by having multiple tracks with the various instruments. For the price, it is pretty powerful. But if you want the control, by all means, go Logic.

Do you think GarageBand '08 is derived from a future Logic '08 or 'just' an updated version of the previous GarageBand?
    The future is here, and I am sure they feed off of the same Core Audio engine code.

I think it is a great introduction! And really, you are not paying that much money. The orchestral instruments aren't great, but hey, that is why there is Garritan! You can hear what is possible with my examples linked below in my signature.

You mean the "light side". Microsoft is the Empire. Apple is the Rebellion.

Depends really on what you want to do. ProTools may be the way to go if you have a PC. Macs are good because of their interface and stability. If you do go the Mac way, be SURE to get as much RAM as it can hold. You'll need it!
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Go Back to forum