• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Advice sought from String composers

Share/Bookmark

Advice sought from String composers

I would like some of you string-writing experts out there to give me some advice on a piece I wrote for an upcoming project. I’m using sampled strings, but the final piece will use real string performers. I will be working with a conductor to assist me, but cannot meet up with him for several weeks, so I thought I would give you guys the breakdown of my piece and ask you advice. The solo strings I am using sound a little thick, I am told, compared to real strings. I am looking for a similar fullness with the real strings. Will the amount of strings I am using achieve this? Here is the breakdown of the solo instruments:

Start- Violin and Cello
    0:45- Violin 2 added
    1:08- Violin 2 dropped, harp added
    1:28- Violin 2 returns
    2:02- 2 Double Basses added (sustain & pizz). I also added a low viola to back up the 1st violin
    2:23- Violin 3 added (high notes)

The song is called "Reminiscing" and is located at: http://seandockery.com/previewmusic.html

Any other advice on arranging this piece is welcome.

Thanks!

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

INTEL|CORE I7 980X 3.33G, 12G CORSAIR DDR3, SSD 160G|OCZ for OS.

Re: Advice sought from String composers

Which song should we be checking out???

Peace

rikp

I take it it's the one called Reminiscing? It's a lovely piece. It does sound like very warm, full-sounding, solo strings. Do you mean you want to add more players on each part? That will give you a different sound (an ensemble sound) but not a fuller solo sound.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

I'm sorry. The peice is called "Reminiscing"

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Cubase 5, Komplete 6, Alchemy, PLAY, Vienna Instruments, Spectrasonics, and much more

Quote Originally Posted by diligamus
    I take it it's the one called Reminiscing? It's a lovely piece. It does sound like very warm, full-sounding, solo strings. Do you mean you want to add more players on each part? That will give you a different sound (an ensemble sound) but not a fuller solo sound.
    Thank you for the compliment. I guess I wanted to know if the fullness I am hearning with the 3 violins, 2 Double Basses, a viola, and cello samples will sound as full with the real instruments.

By the way, the string are Kirk Hunters Solo Strings (except the cello which is from EWQLSO) The harps are from Vienna Harps.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Sean,

why do you want real musicans for this?

You wrote, you have got Cubase 4, Powercore V2.2, Kontakt 2.2, EWQLSO Platinum, EWQLSC, KH VS Pro, and many other awesome VSTi's .... .

If I were you, I would try to find out to play best these libraries and would work at your arrangement hardly. I think you can do a lot there!

BTW, the melody is nice.

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

WHO says your strings sound too thick? Just wondering but I thought the "demo" sounded right on,IMHO!

You're going to have to put a little faith in your conductor and your players when the time comes and see what develops,because there is very little you can do about it until you get everyone together in the same room.A little scary,sometimes but also not as bad as you might be thinking either.Speaking of which, is this for a recording session or live performance and do you have a choice of halls if for recording? Have the players had a chance to listen to your recording yet, so they (somewhat) know what you expect of them?If you've done all the prep work that you can,then relax a bit until the session comes up.
    But really I don't see what could possibly go "wrong" with seven instruments and a good place to hear them.

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist
    Sean,

why do you want real musicans for this?

Gunther
    This piece will be on an upcoming CD of mine, and to tell you the truth, I do not want sampled instruments that I can have performed if I can afford it. Maybe it's just me, but when I purchase a new-age CD I enjoy reading the credits and seeing all the musicians that contributed to the project and not just seeing one guy compose everything electronically. It connects me more with the music usually. I absolutely love all the "awesome" libraries that I am blessed to have access to, but to my ears nothing beats real strings played by talented performers. When my CD is all said and done it will contain over 30 real performers (strings, bagpipes, Celtic flutes, sopranos, and choir). I won't be hiring anything but talented musicians and I'm confident that the finished product will benefit from their contributions.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Quote Originally Posted by quantum7
    This piece will be on an upcoming CD of mine, and to tell you the truth, I do not want sampled instruments that I can have performed if I can afford it. Maybe it's just me, but when I purchase a new-age CD I enjoy reading the credits and seeing all the musicians that contributed to the project and not just seeing one guy compose everything electronically. It connects me more with the music usually. I absolutely love all the "awesome" libraries that I am blessed to have access to, but to my ears nothing beats real strings played by talented performers. When my CD is all said and done it will contain over 30 real performers (strings, bagpipes, Celtic flutes, sopranos, and choir). I won't be hiring anything but talented musicians and I'm confident that the finished product will benefit from their contributions.
    Oh yes, I underline that. It is always the best when talented performers play real a music from a talented composer and arrangeur.

So, if you only use the libraries for composing, why do you have so many?

I have tons of libraries and use them all every day for my productions which mostly goes on air.... .

But, OK, I never produced a classical CD and understand what you mean... .
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by skyy38
    WHO says your strings sound too thick? Just wondering but I thought the "demo" sounded right on,IMHO!

You're going to have to put a little faith in your conductor and your players...
    Thanks Sky! Right now I am looking at string performers from the Las Vegas Philharmonic. So hopefully I will get quality performers. The performances will be recorded at a quality studio in Las Vegas and convolution reverb will be used to simulate a hall.

Sean C. Dockery
    www.SeanDockery.com

Go Back to forum