• Register
  • Help

Topic: Oud, Duduk, and Percussion demo

Share/Bookmark

Oud, Duduk, and Percussion demo

This is a piece featuring oud and duduk. I was trying for a mideastern vibe.

Grouduk

Please give it a listen and let me know your take on it.

Marko

Re: Oud, Duduk, and Percussion demo

I like it. Before the entry of the oud - its sounds more jazz-cross-over (ala Alice Coltrane - Pharoah Sanders) rather than "authentic" arabic to me. I'm no expert at all in this music, but for a rough impression, it sounds like a more western use of arabic textures. Not at all cheesy, but not really aiming to be totally authentic either. The relative simplicity of the rhythm suggests a dance sequence to me. Cool sounds!

Quote Originally Posted by Gesticulator01
    I like it. Before the entry of the oud - its sounds more jazz-cross-over (ala Alice Coltrane - Pharoah Sanders) rather than "authentic" arabic to me. I'm no expert at all in this music, but for a rough impression, it sounds like a more western use of arabic textures. Not at all cheesy, but not really aiming to be totally authentic either. The relative simplicity of the rhythm suggests a dance sequence to me. Cool sounds!
    And though many people mistakenly use it as such, the Duduk is about as Middle Eastern as the pan flute.

The Duduk is in fact Armenian.

Having said that, I really liked the piece! Very fresh and interesting. Well done!
    "International Award Winning Arabic Fusion"
    www.ajmusiconline.com

2xMac Pro 2.66, OS 10.4.9,Pro Tools 7.4.8,Waves Plat,Altiverb
    4xVisionDaw PC,NI Komplete, All Play 1.2.5 Libraries

howdy marko,

i really enjoyed your demo, loved these small finger details on the right channel. which libraries did you use?

peace

Hello Marko,

As always; tight, complete, professional and unique. A treat to hear from you. You simply have got the talent and skill. Another refreshing post!

Best,
    tony h
    tony h
    Master Comp. P5 deluxe intel dual core, Windows XP Pro, 4G ram, HD's=OS Audio, two samples, Cubase 3/4 , GVI Kirk Hunter Concert strings, KH Concert brass, Emerald, Miroslav strings, brass, Quantum Leap brass. DAW and Master comp by pcaudiolabs- Slave Comp for VI only, Gigabyte Intel ,8G ram, ethernet, Windows Vista Ultimatex64, VI Ensemble,VI SE Appasionata strings.

Authentic! Would I rather have an authentic civil war pistol or a genuine one?

Thanks gesticulator!

Thanks dubaifox. I'll have to get my sense of origins starightened out.

Thanks gigalove. I used RA mostly. I think the finger cymbals are from Stormdrum.

Thanks tony. You are very kind.

Thanks for listening all.

Marko

Quote Originally Posted by Marko
    Authentic! Would I rather have an authentic civil war pistol or a genuine one?
    I think maybe you'd prefer a genuine revolver from 1970 to an authenticated civil war pistol - to stretch a metaphor!
    Regards,
    G.

How about an authenticated genuine civil war pistol?

Marko

Ah, well i think I'm a bit lost with this authentic/genuine thing now.

To put it more simply - I dont think you were trying to write something that could be passed off as ethnically accurate, but just exploring your own tastes with a middle-east palate of sounds, would that be right?

At any rate, its an enjoyable track with a good groove.

Go Back to forum