• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Topic: What happened to the thread on Listening Room etiquette?

Share/Bookmark

What happened to the thread on Listening Room etiquette?

I may be losing it, but, when I arrived home from Devon on Monday I could have sworn I saw a thread from Randy about people who post lots of music but don't listen to any. I went away again on Tuesday and have just got back - I thought I'd check out how this thread went, but I can't find it. I think I even posted in it, but I can't find it in my subscribed-threads list. Did it get overly heated?

Re: What happened to the thread on Listening Room etiquette?

Yes, it got quite heated and now we are all on probation.

not really, i'm joking, i don't know the answer to your question.

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    Did it get overly heated?
    The thread was taken a little far in some cases and frankly, I'm tired of all of the threads complaining about the listening room. The problem was that everyone has different opinions on how the listening room should be. Frankly, with the debating going on, the community was going into turmoil. I'm guessing that removing said threads was for the good of the community.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

It is still there, about 6 August it was locked.

Richard

My impression with these threads (this and others) is that the community was just in the healthy process of self-consolidation and finding agreement when the mods decided to take action.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

It is best to focus on the positive things, such as making music and encouraging and learning, all which make this forum a great community. If we lose focus, we could depart from the main reasons we are here.

Let me repeat much of what I posted in the above thread in case some of you missed it:
    The most important thing is for us to help and encourage each other. When that is disrupted, it is sometimes best for the admins to take action for the good of the community....

Why are we all here? We are all here because of music. To make music, to share it, to learn, to impart knowledge, to help and be helped.

All of us love music and it does not matter if we are trained, or just beginning, or into one particular genre or another.

Just look at the Listening Room. There are over 41,000 postings in some 3,800 threads in the Listening Room alone and it has grown to be the most trafficked place on Northern Sounds. That is a lot of music being shared. This clearly shows why most of us are here. People are making more music than ever before and sharing their music with others.

I'm very impressed with how the forum members have developed a real sense of community and everyone generally gets along very well, despite numerous and vast differences in background, language and culture. We sure are a varied bunch! And we have shared so much together over the past four years.

The vast majority of people here exercise good judgment, reasonableness, and mutual respect. Most recognize that there's a human being behind every post, and behave accordingly. This is a community for smart and talented people who share an interest in personal and musical growth. Sure there may be the odd minor squabble or slightly heated disagreement, but members usually take the initiative to work out differences and reconcile with each other when they have a dispute. All of this is says a great deal about those who make up the community.....

...This forum will always be a work in progress and I need your help to maintain it as the wonderful community it is. Let's do whatever we can to keep this a unique oasis on the net.

Getting back to why we are here, let me tell you some of my reasons. What matters most to me — what is real to me in this virtual place — is inspiring and helping people. Wherever I hear the fine pieces being presented in the Listening Room I am gladdened and humbled. Whenever someone is helped here to push past a limitation or learn something new, I find tremendous fulfillment.

My goal and purpose is to provide the tools to help you realize your musical dreams. These are the important things that trump all the other trivial stuff.

Recently I asked myself, if I only had a few months to live, what would I do? Quite honestly I would want to be here. Deep down I've always wanted to do what I am doing now. It is my passion in life and fulfills me deeply as a human being.

I hope all of you, too, will discover the passion inside you and live for what truly matters to you. Life is just too valuable and too short -- don't leave this life with your music still inside you. Focus on that, and all of your life, and the lives of those around you, become so very much richer.

As forums go this is defintely one of the friendliest and best of places. (One of the most productive, too!) Let's keep this one of the best forums on the net by continuing to help, respect, and care for one another.

All my best,

Gary Garritan"

Quote Originally Posted by Ernstinen
    Hey! I just spent a week in N. Minnesota fishing. What did I miss?

Ern
    Perhaps you can tell us your fishing stories Ern - about the one that got away

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    Perhaps you can tell us your fishing stories Ern - about the one that got away
    this one is Ern escapes and direct to Germany swum, into my net.
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

It's very hard to choose the right words that won't upset anyone here, so I'll just say my opinion...as an MD5 hash:

d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e

...and that's how I believe the community can be improved.
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

Quote Originally Posted by C J Pro
    It's very hard to choose the right words that won't upset anyone here, so I'll just say my opinion...as an MD5 hash:

d41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427e

...and that's how I believe the community can be improved.
    Are you sure?

It may be less upsetting if .... xd41d8cd98f00b204e9800998ecf8427ez

Go Back to forum