• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Debussy - Trois Chansons

Share/Bookmark

Debussy - Trois Chansons

The Trois Chansons by Claude Debussy are from a 1908 collection, although two of the three works were written earlier. The works connect the styles of the past with the harmonic techniques of the time; the texts are by Charles d'Orléans, prince and poet, who was imprisoned in England after the Battle of Agincourt in 1415. The works are not thematically related. Dieu! qu'il la fait is a shimmering love song; in Quant j'ai ouy a languorous melody for soloist meanders above quick percussive-like vocal accompaniment, and the energetic Yver scolds winter for its cruelty. (Program notes used by permission; Samir Savant, Chairman, Pagasus www.pegasusmusic.org.uk )

I have set these three movements for winds. This is due partly at the request of a forum visitor to my earlier post of the Quant j'ai ouy movement and being able to find the other two songs. All entry and playback is through Finale 2006 using only GPO instruments and Garritan Ambience.

I. Dieu! qu'il la fait bon regarder - quartet of English Horn, Oboe, French Horn and Bassoon

http://www.box.net/shared/ukh05z9oh4

II. Quant j'ai ouy tabourin - septet of English Horn, three Bb Clarinets, Bass Clarinet and two Bassoons

http://www.box.net/shared/5vmuznks95

III. Yver, vous n'estes qu'un villain - quintet of Oboe, English Horn, French Horn and two Bassoons

http://www.box.net/shared/lbkkv4omkv

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: Debussy - Trois Chansons

Very cool! First off the renderings are wonderful.
    It is so nice to hear a Master through GPO sound libraries.
    Brings them down to earth a little.

Thank you for sharing these - Enjoyed!

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

I love this Debussey stuff. Just a great sound. Keep them coming.
    -Jay

great stuff, a few comments on note precision:
    at [2] in the first song there are wrong notes (the alto is both B# AND A# and the bass is D# in that same measure, not C#)
    also 2nd and 3rd measure before [2] there's something missing from that descending chromatic bass line

NOW, the second song! WHAT A DIFFERENCE!!! that tempo is gorgeous!!!!!
    not too fast, just a nice "modéré". VERY beautiful. And again, that is an incredibly felicitous choice of instruments. (still, a wrong note in the alto part 6 measures after [3] the tied C# somehow becomes a C natural, it should stay sharp. - it's where the solo finishes singing "Ung peu je me rendormiray;"
    Also be careful a few measures further the solo's second measure on "Sonner" should be G# - C#, you have a B instead of G#. At the Un Peu Animé, second measure, you have a C natural in the 1st tenor, it should of course be sharp. one measure before [5] bass should be F natural, not #)

Third song is too slow as well! You should be chasticing Winter: "Winter, you are naught but a villain!" (tempo "Alert et vif" should be nearly twice as fast).
    Again, watch the wrong notes: C natural, not # in the first few measures.

OK! I know I bitched on a bunch of details, but this is a very beautiful rendering of the Debussy songs, might as well hear the right notes to go with the beautiful rendering.

I'm wondering if possibly the online score you got might have mistakes in it. Does it seem to be a scan of the Éditions Durand & Cie original score? Or someone's notation programmed version? That might explain the wrong notes.

Sorry if I keep noticing details like these, but this is a work I've both performed as singer and as conductor a number of times. So it's really under my skin.

Gary:

Love Debussy and the winds seem to breathe some "new life" in these.

Very nicely done.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by Michael A. Wiktor
    Very cool! First off the renderings are wonderful.
    It is so nice to hear a Master through GPO sound libraries.
    Brings them down to earth a little.

Thank you for sharing these - Enjoyed!

Michael
    Thanks Michael. They are three very interesting works. And setting them to winds was lots of fun!

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hello, Gary

These are richly magical pieces and have been realized So beautifully by you. Marvelous!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Thanks Randy, magical indeed and a little tricky to work through. So many choices, so few songs!!

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01
    I love this Debussey stuff. Just a great sound. Keep them coming.
    -Jay
    Thanks Jay glad that you enjoy them. It's fun to find works that adapt so well to a new performance media.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    great stuff, a few comments on note precision:
    at [2] in the first song there are wrong notes (the alto is both B# AND A# and the bass is D# in that same measure, not C#)
    also 2nd and 3rd measure before [2] there's something missing from that descending chromatic bass line

........snip..........

Sorry if I keep noticing details like these, but this is a work I've both performed as singer and as conductor a number of times. So it's really under my skin.
    I had a difficult time finding these places where you suggested errors on note placement as I do not have the same markings in the online music ([2]). And the tempi was my best guess as I have not heard any of these works and only have run across some midi presentations of them. The real challange of course is playing all of this in with so many key changes. And then picking the instrument mix for effect and also realistic ranges if real musicians were involved. I might just try to get this published if I can find someone that is into this type of wind music.

I have reposted the files so they should be more to your liking now.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast