• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "Guitar Duo Number Fourteen"

Share/Bookmark

"Guitar Duo Number Fourteen"

All,

This is my "Guitar Duo Number Fourteen", featuring two instances of the JABB ten-string, extended-range acoustic guitar. This is number fourteen of twenty guitar duos I have written through the years.

I detuned one of the instruments a tiny amount.

Regards to all,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Re: "Guitar Duo Number Fourteen"

I like it larry. I am a guitar player, and it is always nice to hear guitar music. Did you detune one of the guitars so they would not sound like the same instruments being patched in twice? I think the portamento that you used in a few spots was a little out of place. A hammer on and pull off of the string would be more effective. I don't know if this technique can be done with GPO. I enjoyed it none-the-less.
    -Jay

Yes, I detuned one of the instruments to prevent phasing problems.

If you're talking about the "wiggled" notes that I did, that's not portamento. I used the pitch wheel on those notes for an "enhanced vibrato" effect.

I don't know how to do a "hammer on" or a "pull off". Sounds like something a carpenter and a stripper would do respectively.

Thanks for listening, Mr. Jay. Glad you like it. (I DO know what the terms really mean, by the way. )

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hey, carpenters and strippers deserve good music to go
    with their respective arts, I say!

Seriously, a lovely duet, Larry. Nicely done. I like the
    slight detune in this; works well.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Thanks, Mr. Dave. I hope that no one gets mad about your moving it from page two to page one.

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hi Larry,

I enjoyed this piece as well. I was a little distracted knowing the guitars were not quite in tune and this detracted from it for me.

But the piece has a wide range of influences it seems to me and I enjoyed that as well.

Thank you for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by AlanPerkins
    Hi Larry,

I enjoyed this piece as well. I was a little distracted knowing the guitars were not quite in tune and this detracted from it for me.

But the piece has a wide range of influences it seems to me and I enjoyed that as well.

Thank you for sharing.
    If you can hear this teeny-tiny, itty-bitty detuning then you have the best ears of any person or critter on the earth and elsewhere. It amounts to three-hundredths of one half-step! Even a 'roo can't hear it.

Many thanks for listening and commenting. I appreciate it.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Larry:
    I just listened to your "Guitar Duo Number Fourteen" and while listening, it dawned on me that the more I get to know you and the more I listen to your music the more I realize how honest you are. What we hear is what we get. You have a very refreshing honesty about your music--no pretense, no BS, just Larry. I wish I could have as much fun writing as you do.

Steve

Oh, BTW, I like your duo.

Quote Originally Posted by sosmus
    Larry:
    I just listened to your "Guitar Duo Number Fourteen" and while listening, it dawned on me that the more I get to know you and the more I listen to your music the more I realize how honest you are. What we hear is what we get. You have a very refreshing honesty about your music--no pretense, no BS, just Larry. I wish I could have as much fun writing as you do.

Steve

Oh, BTW, I like your duo.

Thank you Mr. Steve. It IS fun, isn't it? It's what keeps me young in mind and spirit...if not in body.

I appreciate your message. I wish that I were half the writer you are.

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    If you can hear this teeny-tiny, itty-bitty detuning then you have the best ears of any person or critter on the earth and elsewhere. It amounts to three-hundredths of one half-step! Even a 'roo can't hear it.

Many thanks for listening and commenting. I appreciate it.

Regards,

Larry
    I am sure you are right Larry - I am convinced that had I not been made aware of it I wouldn't have noticed it at all. That was my point - I am sure it was 99% imagination or self convincing.

I would be curious to hear a version without detuning to see what phasing problems would be like (and to see if I can detect any difference then)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast