• Register
  • Help

Topic: Grofriller Attack question

Share/Bookmark

Grofriller Attack question

I'm having trouble on an exposed passage, using the Gofriller Cello.

Even with expression all the way at it's lowest value, I'm still hearing too much attack, or bow on the string, upon the first note.

Is there a keyswitch, or MIDI controller I have missed, that eliminates this?

I'd like it to fade in with a softer attack. I'd rather not use volume automation, unless that's the only way to achieve this.

Thanks in advance...

Re: Grofriller Attack question

Jaimo,

Attacks are virtually muted if C11 is zero, and note-on velocity is very low.

Giorgio

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgio Tommasini
    Jaimo,

Attacks are virtually muted if C11 is zero, and note-on velocity is very low.

Giorgio
    Not for me.
    I've used several different expression pedals including the suggested Roland & Yamaha - I'm still hearing too much attack (chop) no matter how light I hit the key.
    The closest I get to what I want is if I select keyswitch (A) but then I have to deal with the double hit.
    Seems to me this is something that could be fixed fairly easy - considering that so many of us users find it to be a problem.
    Instead of a smooth glide into a line it sounds like the performer is chopping everytime he starts a riff...

I'm a brand new user and was having the same issue, using the Yamaha pedal. I manually adjust my attack velocity to 1 and make sure the pedal is off with no real difference. My work around is to do a volume fade in (#7) on the beginning note. Would love another option to save time. Having recorded real cello and violin many times I know what I want to hear.

Dave
    www.dbwstudio.com

Please send me a wav + midi file of an attack + sustain, played on the Kontakt2 Player, KS C1, velocity = 1 and CC11 = 1, showing the problem you're reporting.

Best regards,

Giorgio

giorgio.tommasini@fastwebnet.it

Quote Originally Posted by Jaimo
    I'm having trouble on an exposed passage, using the Gofriller Cello.

Even with expression all the way at it's lowest value, I'm still hearing too much attack, or bow on the string, upon the first note.

Is there a keyswitch, or MIDI controller I have missed, that eliminates this?

I'd like it to fade in with a softer attack. I'd rather not use volume automation, unless that's the only way to achieve this.

Thanks in advance...
    You are not alone. I have been working with Gary on this as well (he was very quick and attentive on responding to the issue as well). Most recently Native Instruments contacted me for more details and example audio files. My issue was running Gofriller through Kontakt 3. There seems to be a bug on the attacks. Gofriller works fine with the included player, but for some reason Kontakt 3 has an issue with the attack being played at full volume. There is also a sucking/dull pop sound that occurs right after the key strike that is when the sample is cutting off. You can see the polyphony change from 5 to 4 when this happens. It is best heard in the C3 range. My machine is a Mac Pro 8 core 3Ghz with 5gb ram, running OSX 10.4.11.

Jaimo - good to see another Nashvillian.
    Jonathan Kerr
    J.Kerr Music, Inc

Re: Gofriller Attack question

Jonathan, Jaimo, Tim, Davey,

The Stradivari and the Gofriller are distributed as K2 Players. Moreover, they work perfectly if imported in K2.

They are however incompatible, and should not be used, with the present release of Kontakt3.

The programming of the envelopes and the modulators has been modified in K3, so the attacks no longer respond to the already discussed interaction of velocity and CC11.

While this may be disappointing to Kontakt3 users, please consider that the backward compatibility of a new sampler such as K3, can obviously be provided by NI only.

NI is well aware of this compatibility issue. We can only hope that this problem will be fixed in future updates of K3.

Sincerely,

Giorgio

Re: Gofriller Attack question

Quote Originally Posted by Giorgio Tommasini
    Jonathan, Jaimo, Tim, Davey,

The Stradivari and the Gofriller are distributed as K2 Players. Moreover, they work perfectly if imported in K2.

They are however incompatible, and should not be used, with the present release of Kontakt3.

The programming of the envelopes and the modulators has been modified in K3, so the attacks no longer respond to the already discussed interaction of velocity and CC11.

While this may be disappointing to Kontakt3 users, please consider that the backward compatibility of a new sampler such as K3, can obviously be provided by NI only.

NI is well aware of this compatibility issue. We can only hope that this problem will be fixed in future updates of K3.

Sincerely,

Giorgio
    Hey Giorgio -

No complaints here. Once I worked with Gary and NI to determine the bug in K3, I was perfectly content to use the included K2 player. I know that software is regularly going to be updated and changed and that this is always a possiblity. I was just explaining that the issue the people above were experiencing could be the K3 bug.

Congrats on the great product.
    Jonathan Kerr
    J.Kerr Music, Inc

Go Back to forum