• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO in Sibelius 5

Share/Bookmark

GPO in Sibelius 5

As many of you now, Sibelius 5 does VST hosting now. There are new procedures for those who have the Sibelius GPO and those who have regular GPO. Eric has put together some guidlines to help those with the upgrades.

Steps:
    1. Open Sibelius 5 and under help click Check for Updates from the list http://www.sibelius.com/helpcenter/u.../from_5_0.html
    2. Sibelius: at site click on Help Center at the top right of page http://www.sibelius.com/cgi-bin/help...ch.pl?com=main
    3. Help Center: middle of page click on Sibelius Sounds updates http://www.sibelius.com/products/sib...s/upgrade.html
    4. Sibelius Sounds Updates: enter appropriate serial number for matching product, click on upgrade and follow instructions from there.
    At this point you have to set up the sounds using the edit instruments in house style. It is a funky way just to get up and running and you have to use their Sibelius Sounds Essential but they said it was temporary but it does work…..for now. It is a round- about way to get to where you need to go.

There are new updates expected later this week and we'll keep you updated.

Thanks Eric for your help with this.

Gary Garritan

Re: GPO in Sibelius 5

Quote Originally Posted by Garritan
    As many of you now, Sibelius 5 does VST hosting now. . . . . . It is a funky way just to get up and running and you have to use their Sibelius Sounds Essential
    I'm not sure what you mean by saying "you have to use their Sibelius Sounds Essential[s]" . The "Essentials" library is included as part of Sibelius 5, and it looks as if it's there to give a useful set of sounds 'out of the box' for those users who don't yet own any kind of VST sound library.

Users who had the "Sibelius Edition" GPO from Sibelius 4 do have to make one upgrade, but regular GPO works in Sibelius 5 straight away, and both work with or without using "Sibelius Sound Essentials".

Dear Lurker,

I was wondering about what you say..."but regular GPO works in Sibelius 5 straight away, and both work with or without using "Sibelius Sound Essentials"....so far..can you please be so kind to explain me how I can use the regular GPO in Sib 5.??? I will appreciate that very much.

JL:

P.S. I know that the GPO is still working in Sib 5, but just with 8 instruments and a lot of errors regarding chanel numbers and so on.

Quote Originally Posted by Lurker
    I'm not sure what you mean by saying "you have to use their Sibelius Sounds Essential[s]" . The "Essentials" library is included as part of Sibelius 5, and it looks as if it's there to give a useful set of sounds 'out of the box' for those users who don't yet own any kind of VST sound library.

Users who had the "Sibelius Edition" GPO from Sibelius 4 do have to make one upgrade, but regular GPO works in Sibelius 5 straight away, and both work with or without using "Sibelius Sound Essentials".

Quote Originally Posted by Jaques
    GPO is still working in Sib 5, but just with 8 instruments and a lot of errors regarding chanel numbers and so on.
    Kontakt Player 2 in Sibelius has 16 slots (though that's not the same as 16 instruments) and you can have as many instances of KP2 as you want so long as your computer can take it (so you can have 16 or 32 or 48 or 64 slots if you need to). Overhead for additional instances is fairly small.

Because Sibelius switches between samples a lot (e.g. strings 'short bows' for shorter notes) it may load three or four 'patches' for each instrument, so you may need to do a bit of poking around to make sure you have enough instances of KP2 for your score.

Sibelius has adopted a new 'Nanny' approach to channel assignment - you need to forget about channel numbers and let Sibelius work things out. The hard part is finding the right Sound ID for the sound you want, but the chatter on the Sibelius forum seems to be that this will be much easier with the (free) update expected soon.

One irritating channel-related problem at the moment is that the first two slots are often shared, wrongly, because of a bug related to the 'click' track. The workaround is to add an instance of some other library (e.g. Microsoft wavetable synth) to your configuration, OR change the instruments in the Click Track to sounds that can be found in GPO Basic Orchestral Percussion.

Quote Originally Posted by me
    change the instruments in the Click Track to sounds that can be found in GPO Basic Orchestral Percussion.
    This advice is now obsolete - Sibelius version 5.1 has just been released and it deals with a lot of problems including, I believe, this one.

I've just started testing the 5.1 demo and so far, everything is working correctly.

Everybody keep your fingers crossed!

- k
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

Quote Originally Posted by klassical
    I've just started testing the 5.1 demo and so far, everything is working correctly.

Everybody keep your fingers crossed!

- k
    Well, my 5.0 is on the UPS truck & will be dropped on my porch tonight...
    Then I'll upgrade to the 5.1.
    then I'll see how it all works with GPO, JABB, and CoMB...

I am most enthused about the sound set designer, even if the procedure seems a bit tedious!

Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

Go Back to forum