• Register
  • Help

Topic: Shadows

Share/Bookmark

Shadows

Often times I will sit at my keyboard, play a couple of ideas to warm up and then hit record in Sibelius and see what happens. I will try to picture something in my mind, a scene or a feeling and then just let my fingers go wherever they wish to go. Needless to say, I end up with a lot of worthless crap but every now and then I come up with something that makes sense. I sometimes use what I come up with as ideas for other pieces or add an instrument or 2. A full paragraph just to say, "here's some improv."

Setting the scene :

A woman wakes up in the middle of the night. She thinks she hears noises. She gets out of bed and walks to her door. There is a long corridor with many closed doors on each side of the hall. The hall is long and the exact end is not seen. She goes door to door opening some quickly and peering inside. In one room she sees
    shadows moving against the wall. In another room a rat runs along the wall and disappears into nothingness. Shadows play an important part in the scene, how they move and increase her fright. One door she opens has a stairwell which she follows up into another long hallway, at the top of the stairs is a window where she looks out on a dark night and sees shadows move and hide behind trees. She travels down the hall and opens the last door and sees a scene of stars everywhere she looks. Above and below are all stars. She falls forward into the universe.

This music is not for everyone and no I did not let a cat help me out with these.
    Here is the MP3:
    http://www.box.net/shared/jx6seplybj

Part 2 here continues with the same idea, but is faster and has some neat riffs in it.

http://www.box.net/shared/nvhfdpkcrl

The piano is the Steinway from JABB.

Re: Shadows

Hi, Rolifer

"...no I did not let a cat help me out with these..." Are you sure?! - KIdding!--I just loved your own funny jab at yourself. My cat is Far too heavy to have provided passages like this, they would be more like "clink/clonk - pause shlonk/plonk longer pause" - wouldn't have been Nearly as interesting. SO if you're just kidding us, and your cat really Did help you out here - she's a more talented cat than mine.

Meanwhile, as to your atmospheric improv. OK, I guess I don't know what to say except that I listened to both and found them both interesting and spooky. The second one I liked better of the two, probably because of the faster tempo, and the lower octaves were used more.

"Interesting"--what a lousy word. But these pieces Are that. They are without a doubt some of the most unique things I've ever heard here.

The coolest thing to me is that you had fun doing some improv, you did well explaining the process, and you didn't just keep to them to yourself as exercises--They're more Real now, don't you think?--because they're online and being shared.

I'm curious to read how other people react to what you've offered here.

Thanks, Rolifer!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Randy,
    Thank you for not calling this piece "interesting". I have found that "interesting" is a code word meaning either, "what the hell was that" or "God, that was horrible, but I don't want to hurt his feelings."

I have been told that these pieces are great by a few and horrible by others. Like I said, they're not for everyone. However, a few people have said that they were inspired to try it for themselves. You hit it on the head though about this being fun. I have a similarly written piece that I accompanied with the violin and if I ever figure out how to mix the violins from sib and the piano from Jabb, I will post it.

I forgot to add that I also like the second one best. And the Ex got the cat in the divorce.

Thanks again for the quick reply and I am also curious of what others will have to say.

These are simply fantastic improvisations. This is strange, on the weekend I listened again to one of my Keith Jarrett albums (I mentioned him in another thread too!) He is my favorite jazz pianist artist. If you listen to his album live at Carnegie Hall, especially Part VI the style of your gorgeous creations are amazingly simmilar (although without his usual grunts and shouts ) I admire your skill at the keyboard to be able to do this. I find it absolutely fascinating how the mind can work through the hands to create patterns, motives, and themes in "real time", some of them so complex and only to be discovered by oneself after listening later. I can only say BRAVO!!
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Quote Originally Posted by LouisD
    These are simply fantastic improvisations. This is strange, on the weekend I listened again to one of my Keith Jarrett albums (I mentioned him in another thread too!) He is my favorite jazz pianist artist. If you listen to his album live at Carnegie Hall, especially Part VI the style of your gorgeous creations are amazingly simmilar (although without his usual grunts and shouts ) I admire your skill at the keyboard to be able to do this. I find it absolutely fascinating how the mind can work through the hands to create patterns, motives, and themes in "real time", some of them so complex and only to be discovered by oneself after listening later. I can only say BRAVO!!
    Thank you for the listen and the kind words. You brought up a key component that I forgot to mention. I don't get to "hear" these until playback and to be totally honest, I sometimes have to delete some notes that my fat fingers put in by mistake.

I listened to some works by Keith Jarret and am honored to be mentioned in the same paragraph as him. When you mentioned grunts and groans I was thinking about a different guy who plays more classical music. I know I am not in the same league of talent as Jarret, but I do appreciate the comparison of music.
    Thanks again,
    Ron

Hello again, Ron

New auto-mail just came in for your thread, and this from you got me curious:

"...I don't get to 'hear' these until playback..."

What do you mean--?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hello again, Ron

New auto-mail just came in for your thread, and this from you got me curious:

"...I don't get to 'hear' these until playback..."

What do you mean--?

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    While I am playing these improv's, I try to concentrate more on the movement of the rythym, not the actual notes. So as I am playing. I am not completely aware of what notes I am playing. It is more of a feeling and a sense of what direction I want the piece to go in. I have been playing guitar like that for years, but only in the past year or so that I have been playing piano like that. I hope I am explaining this so you can understand, since I do not!!! It's almost as if all I can hear is the beat of the music, so upon playback, I get to hear what notes my fingers played.

While these two improvisations don't particularly run to my
    preferences... the mind is such a darned interesting contraption;
    it builds patterns (both in the improvising player and in the
    mind of the listener) better, perhaps, than anything else it
    can do. And regardless of a certain outward randomness,
    there is pattern and sense in these pieces.

If you'll excuse me for saying the word "interesting" -- very
    definitely without any "code word" implications -- these pieces
    quite surely are... interesting! If you took these apart and
    formally analyzed them, I believe you'd find a surprise or two
    in the amount of structure and organization hidden within.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum