• Register
  • Help

Topic: Jumpernickel (Evolution of a Composition)

Share/Bookmark

Jumpernickel (Evolution of a Composition)

Yesterday, I posted a short piece to illustrate some comments. It was a simple structure, and easy to play. Today, I renovated and expanded that piece, which became somewhat more complex.

Jumpernickel

For comparison, the original
    Illustration Dance

Both feature the GPO Steinway, and were made using Sonar, including the wav, which was converted to mp3 using Cakewalk Pyro.

Richard

Re: Jumpernickel (Evolution of a Composition)

Unless a piece is written for four hands, when I hear someone spend so much time in the higher octaves like this, my thinking is when are you going to go lower. I never said that to myself at all, even after the second loop. In this case it works well.
    Well done.

Hi Richard,

I like the playfulness and lightness of this piece.
    I think that tempo changes could add a lot to this playfulness, and combined with dynamics could lead the listener through the piece.
    By the way, when one clicks on the 'play' the music starts, stops and then begins again. I had the same thing. It can be avoided by simply inserting a little silence at the start of the mp3.

Yudit

Hi, Richard

I enjoyed hearing the development, the evolution of this whimsical excursion into expansive randomness tempered with your musical savvy. I interpreted the relentless tempo and even dynamics to be your specific choice for this.

The technical note given here about the Box player starting over doesn't hold true for how it works on my computer. How these various players behave is unpredictable and dependent solely on each system's specs.

Thanks for this, Richard.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Richard

I enjoyed hearing the development, the evolution of this whimsical excursion into expansive randomness tempered with your musical savvy. I interpreted the relentless tempo and even dynamics to be your specific choice for this.

The technical note given here about the Box player starting over doesn't hold true for how it works on my computer. How these various players behave is unpredictable and dependent solely on each system's specs.

Thanks for this, Richard.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Well, yes, tempo and dynamics quite specifically intentional. It just did not seem that much variation would improve it. There are actually 3 basic dynamic levels, only slightly differing, and very little cresc. & dim. It seemed to me that it would alter the character of the piece by including any more. However, I would expect a certain amount of variation by the performer, since I would not like the performer to be an automaton. Some variations are inherent in the character of the piece, and thickness writing. It is not really random, but does not follow a standard form. Most of my music does not. The third and maybe final, evolution will be posted in a day or two. It adds a bit at beginning and end, and makes other changes in between. Just at the moment, I can't say more because the three incarnations are all somewhat blurred in my mind. I have spent some hours considering dynamics and tempo, and am now back to the starting point!

Sunbird, thank you. It was definitely intended to be bright and cheerful.

Rolifer, thanks. I had a good reason for thinking that the long periods in the upper register should work in this case, but now that I see that it did work, I have forgotten the reason.

Richard

Fascinating to listen to this series sprout and grow, Richard;
    the evolutionary aspects of it. I'm in the process of catching
    up with the various branches of this... advisedly so-called
    because there seems almost to be a brachiative shaping to
    all this.

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum