• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: "Jacatta"

Share/Bookmark

"Jacatta"

I wrote this while still teaching.
    The instructions are as follows:
    If you are a jazzer, then play it as it is written.
    If you not a jazzer, try to make it swing a little.
    http://public.box.net/

Re: "Jacatta"

Quite a complex work which has to be heard more than once to get it all in.
    At the beginning I was reminded of 'west side story'.
    I liked the short lyrical part and another short part with more swing to it.
    I think it would sound great once you add the touch of a real performance.

Yudit

Very nice, Mr. Steve. I enjoyed your piano piece. Thanks for posting. We are looking forward to more!

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hi, sosmus

Exciting piece! I understood Sunbird's "West Side Story" immediately - the chord voicings, the progression and the rhythm conjured the feel of Bernstein's work in that landmark musical, but immediately after getting that hit I could hear that your piece was firmly on its own unique ground.

Really nice composition, and I know I've never heard anything quite like it here in The Listening Room before.

It'd be great to hear a fleshed out version of this, into a Jazz combo arrangement - or even a full orchestra, ala "West Side Story" again!

Thanks very much for this.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

This is very complicated jazz if I've ever heard it. I listen a lot to Keith Jarrett and I thought his music was complicated, although I say this coming from a person with limited knowledge of Jazz. This is simply mind blowing music and I loved it. Thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Much obliged for the comments. It is in the traditional ABA form and the title comes from Jazz Toccata. As I told Larry Alexander, I can never remember how many "t's" and "c's" I spell it with.
    I have tried "orchestrating" it for various combinations, from Wind Ensemble to a six flute choir but I still keep coming back to the piano, where it originated.
    Steve

PS to Randy B
    I don't like to re-orchestrate my own compositions because I think so much instrumentally and orchestrally anyway that I keep changing this and that to fit the instruments. I do like your idea of a full orchestra. It didn't occur to me when I wrote it because it was before Finale, Garritan and Contakt.
    Another possible thing to go on my "to do" list.
    Steve

Steve:

Very intricate jazz and very well suited for piano; however, my taste would add bass, drums, sax and fluglehorn. I keep hearing your great progressions and feel the additional instruments would have a ball improvising on them.

Really great writing, Steve. Would like to hear some small combo stuff if you have any handy.

BRAVO, Steve

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Y'all,

Here is an alternate link to Steve's "Jaccatta":

http://www.alexandermusic.com/resources/Jaccatta.mp3

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Pretty cool, Steve!

Long

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast