• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: Alleluia by DPDAN

Share/Bookmark

Alleluia by DPDAN

BUMPED by me on 04-19-09 ...holding head down

Hi everyone,
    Typically, this is a vocal arrangement for a choir of men and women by Randal Thompson.

I decided to make my own arrangement for string quartet and string orchestra based around the arrangement for men. I picked out the parts from a barbershop chorus recording and played them into Digital Performer.

I used GOS (Garritan Orchestral Strings) for the string section sound,
    and augmented that with the Stradivari Solo Violin, the Garritan Gofriller solo cello and a solo viola from GPO. Interestingly, the string basses only play during the last two notes, cellos don't go THAT low . My favorite part is the last two chords AHHH MENNNNNN, can you hear the seven notes???

Altiverb is Konzerthaus Vienna Large Hall.

The entire piece has only one word, Alleluia. The word Alleluia is woven between the various parts and the melody is constantly changing making for a very fun thing to mix. The last two notes have a second lyric... AMEN.

My arrangement is mostly four part harmony, but when seven or more notes are needed to create the color, the string orchestra takes over.
    It was fun arranging the parts between quartet and the string orchestra.

This is not nearly as good as 50-60 real string players, and I know that Even though I did attempt to make it as real as humanly possible in a few days, I decided to say "it's done". As always, there is room for improvement, but I am content to leave it as it is. Originally this was going to be my selection on the Garritan Christmas CD but I want to do something within four minutes, and something more upbeat for Christmas, I'm still not sure what.

Alleluia
    I hope you enjoy this as much as I enjoyed putting it together.
    Dan

Re: Alleluia by DPDAN

Hi DPDAN,

I really love the end of this in particular, so sweet.

I would perhaps have liked to see some more dynamics to make up for the change from voice to strings, but it is still wonderful, and as a devotional, it is particularly suitable.

Is it just me or is there a technical glitch here? The music kept stopping and starting.
    Hang on I think it may be just me - the keyboard is responding in spurts as well.

I think this is my 100th post.

Dan,

overall you catched a more baroque string trio sound, a little like a hurdy-gurdy, and contrasted it with a more romantic strings orchestra sound. This is an interesting idea and applies to this piece.

But something does not fit for me yet. Baroque string players use much more dynamics, shorter bows, almost no portamento and way less vibrato. Vibrato is used, but as an ornament like a trill. Also for baroque strings one should think of the bow more like dancing and less shoving forth and back.

This all is not just tradition but has a sense. It gives enough variation possibilities for e.g. the starting sequence with its many repeating similar notes, so it would make sense and fit together.

A good model to study the richness of this style would be the violinist Reinhard Goebel and his ensemble Musica Antiqua Koeln. I highly reccommend to anybody to get a bunch of their records and lock away with them for a weekend or two. It is a really exciting world of music and well worth being explored, especially for everybody that is interested in sacral music.

Best
    Hannes
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

You were right to call this "Alleluia" . It really is. I always get excited when you put a piece here and this is really worth listening. One day I MUST have Altiverb myself.

Thank you for posting this, really, really great.

Raymond

That is inspirationally beautiful. Great job, Mr. Dan! Nice blend of instruments. Thanks.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

sensitivity and taste, your trademarks... gos sound so beautiful that they made me want to hear more of them... amen

Wow - More DPDAN music! It's great to see your stylings gracing The Listening Room again, Dan--thanks!

What a beautiful piece - I appreciate you filling us in on some background in your text.

Interesting notes from Hannes, offering his ideas for making it more authentically Baroque. It made me think of how I suppose I'm more eclectic in my preferences, rarely being concerned with academically authentic approaches, but more interested in what can make any kind of music sound "pleasing to the ear" (there's that dreaded phrase again! lol) in our contemporary setting.

Fabulous job, Dan. It would be a great addition to the Christmas CD, depending on the moods of the CD as a whole, and what cuts would be next to it.

Thanks much for this much appreciated sharing. Imagine now that I'm turning on Applause for you to hear.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

DPDAN:

Always an adventure to hear your awesome, creative endeavors. This piece, although originally scored for voices, comes alive with the strings you have applied. One can feel the sanctity of the music as it unfolds and especially the last 30s to 1m of playing. The last (open) chord just climaxes the whole listening experience.

BRAVO, again and again, DPDAN.

Jack
    Jack Cannon--MacBook Pro (2015, 13") GPO4/5, JABB3, Auth. STEINWAY, YAMAHA CFX, Gofriller CELLO, Stradivari VIOLIN, COMB2, WORLD, HARPS, PIPE ORGANS, FINALE 2014.5, Mac Pro 2.66 GHz CPU, 8 GB RAM, DP 9.5, MOTU Traveler, MOTU Micro Express, MacBook Pro (2012, 13") 2.2 Ghz CPU, 8 GB RAM.

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Interesting notes from Hannes, offering his ideas for making it more authentically Baroque. It made me think of how I suppose I'm more eclectic in my preferences, rarely being concerned with academically authentic approaches, but more interested in what can make any kind of music sound "pleasing to the ear" (there's that dreaded phrase again! lol) in our contemporary setting.
    Ouch ... I know what you mean. Probably you have that wrang out lament in the ear that can happen by authenicists. What Reinhard Goebel and his ensemble do is the opposite of that, very vivid and vibrant. And of course pleasing.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Thank you everyone for listening and posting your thoughts.

Hannes, funny as I read your advice, I kept saying to myself, "I know, I know" This piece certainly does sound baroque, and you are right about all of your observations, but here's why the quartet has so much vibrato...

I only have a solo viola from GPO, and those solo intruments all have alot of vibrato intensity. I knew it would sound really odd with only that quartet player playing romantically, so I decided to make the others at least similar in style.

I am not thrilled with the overall sound of most of the piece, but here is an interesting note,,, I spent more time on the ending than the rest of the piece, so that does prove that I should have spent more time on it.

Once again, thank you all, and thank you Hannes for your genuine help.

Dan'l Boone

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast