• Register
  • Help

Topic: OT: Need recorders flute advise

Share/Bookmark

OT: Need recorders flute advise

Hi guys. Im looking to buy a good recorder flute for my own use. I have a plastic model, the one from yamaha, and i want to buy something in wood. So, my question is if i would get a more nice tone with a wood recorder and what brands you can recommend me.

Well, thanks any tip for this.
    Marcelo Colina

Re: OT: Need recorders flute advise

I was going to say that a recorder is a recorder and a flute is a flute but I suppose that a recorder could be considered another type of transverse flute.

I swear that I can tell the difference in sound quality between those cheap plastic clarinets and the high-quality ones made from wood, but some of my musician friends say that it is impossible to tell.

I would go for the highest quality wood model that you can afford. I still maintain that plastic is hard and unyielding and produces a tone that reflects those characteristics. I don't know any brand names.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Hi Larry, and thanks your advice. Sorry about the "recorder" and "flute", im not english speaker, and wasnt sure about the naming.
    Marcelo Colina

I don't know which brands are good, but it is much better sound with wood. There is a warmth or something there that is not present in the plastic ones. I also noticed that, at least at the music stores i have visited, plastic ones are only in one size and the woods are in several.

Way back I used to play recorder, and the manufacturers I remember were Aulos, and Yamaha. After a quick search, Hohner and Hornby also appear to make them.

Regarding what's best, I couldn't find any ratings (but I only looked for 10 minutes). I only played plastic ones, but wood always sounded pretty good. The good thing about plastic is the low (no) maintenance, while wood probably requires a bit of care.

(When searching online, the term "woodwind" helped to get rid of all the digital recording references).

I hope that helps...

Greg

Marcelo,
    I've seen the Hohner recorders at TX MUSIC EDU CATORS CONVENTION
    for many years. Their website is listed below.
    Gary

: http://www.hohnerusa.com

Thanks very much your advise. I will look that ways.
    Marcelo Colina

Marcelo,

I used to play recorder more than I do now. I have a Heinrich. Made out of pearwood. Nice. I'm sure you can find many sources online that sell quality wood instruments. Melody Music in Texas (www.folkharp.com) sells harps, recorders, dulcimers, etc... It's a good place to start looking.

Jeff

Lightbulb Re: OT: Need recorders flute advise

Quote Originally Posted by marce
    Hi guys. Im looking to buy a good recorder flute for my own use. I have a plastic model, the one from yamaha, and i want to buy something in wood. So, my question is if i would get a more nice tone with a wood recorder and what brands you can recommend me.

Well, thanks any tip for this.
    The Moeck Rottenburgh is great, and is available in a number of different woods. I like the rosewood version Traditional is boxwood, which is a bit soft. Maple and rosewood tend to hold up better. You can order them through Courtly Music.

Grant
    ==============================
    Grant Green ||| www.contrabass.com
    Sarrusophones and other seismic devices

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    I was going to say that a recorder is a recorder and a flute is a flute but I suppose that a recorder could be considered another type of transverse flute.
    Actually it's the recorder that can lay the stronger claim to the designation of 'flute.' Originally the marking 'flute' (or floete, flaute, etc) on a score would automatically have meant recorders. Composers wanting to ensure that a horizontal flute was used in their pieces would have had to attach the label 'transverse' (meaning 'horizontal'). Now, at least for English speakers, it's more automatic to assume that flute means a transverses flute - but the word for recorder, in many languages, still identifies it as a flute (eg Blockfloete).

Go Back to forum