• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Picking the title of a song/music piece/score

Share/Bookmark

Question Picking the title of a song/music piece/score

What is the best method, or what is the method you like to use, to make sure that a tentative title to a song has not already been used?

Thanks,
    David

Re: Picking the title of a song/music piece/score

Wow, i didn't know that you don't copyright titles. Or i guess i thought it would automatically be copyrighted along with music you copyright. I thought the ones that used previously used titles were either unaware that it had been used or were just bucking the system.

It seems to me like it would still be best to use an unsed or unique title, to distinguish it from any other works.

Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Music
    Why would it matter if it's been used. You can't copyright a title, and look how many songs/works have the same one
    Titles often fall under Trademark Law, though. You're better-off using your own, original title, Leaf. This way, you're safe from any "Legal Danger."
    Best of luck,
    David Guinness

Dell P4 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM, Windows XP Pro SP2, Finale 2007c, GPO and JABB with KP2
    HP AMD 2.3Ghz Dual, 3GB RAM, Vista Home Premium, Finale 2008, GPO, JABB, Gofriller Solo Cello with KP2

Confession: With some of my "lighter" works, I made up a title that bore little relationship to the actual music itself. My "On The Avenue" was an un-named piece of music that I had written and then misplaced. When I rediscovered it, I said to myself, "Hmmm...why don't I call it 'On The Avenue' " and that is its present name.

Now...I feel better.

Larry

Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander
    Confession: With some of my "lighter" works, I made up a title that bore little relationship to the actual music itself. My "On The Avenue" was an un-named piece of music that I had written and then misplaced. When I rediscovered it, I said to myself, "Hmmm...why don't I call it 'On The Avenue' " and that is its present name.

Now...I feel better.

Larry
    I have lots of titles in my head with no music to go with them yet. Some are like your "On the Avenue", so good i will have to use them even if they don't fit the music. Some are so good, that i can't imagine that they are not already taken.

Quote Originally Posted by Larry G. Alexander

Now...I feel better.

Larry
    aHA! I've suspected you all along, "Larry" (if that is your real name!). "Gypsy Dance Number 2" my left foot! You and I both know that piece is about bunnies!

I've got my eye on you,
    chris.

But the bunnies knew, and that is all that really matters.

You can search both copyrights and trademarks by starting from the Library of Congress's web site: www.loc.gov

You can also search musical scores on WorldCat (a worldwide library catalog with 80 million items): www. worldcat.org

Sometimes it helps to have a librarian in the family!

Is anyone aware of any method to use, like some big database or something of already used titles?

IMO, you would want the music you write to not sound just like someone elses music, so you would also want it not to have the same name as someone elses music.

Quote Originally Posted by danveach
    You can search both copyrights and trademarks by starting from the Library of Congress's web site: www.loc.gov

You can also search musical scores on WorldCat (a worldwide library catalog with 80 million items): www. worldcat.org

Sometimes it helps to have a librarian in the family!
    Oh thanks very much, Dan, that's the info i was looking for. You must have posted while i was writing the above, now obsolete, post.

Best Regards,
    David

Go Back to forum