• Register
  • Help

Topic: Running out of space for new libraries

Share/Bookmark

Question Running out of space for new libraries

Hi,

I'm thinking about buying an external HD to store my sample libraries and virtual instruments (EWQLSO Gold, Stormdrum, Halion libs, Atmosphere, Stylus RMX, and Trilogy. The other two internal SCSI drives on my PC are maxed out and I'm on a tight budget. I've found this 500 GB Seagate eSATA external hard drive for $ 150. It looks like a good deal, except that I've learned that the drive's access time is 25 ms which, as far as I know, is too much for an audio drive. Any thoughts or recommendations? Is anybody using this drive for audio?

Thanks,

Julio

Re: Running out of space for new libraries

25 ms? I think this is OK for a backup but for samples? Never ever.

I have no good suggestion for you except that I myself picked up the hint in this forum to try 10.000 RPM hard disks with 4 ms access time and did not regret it for a second. For your budget you could get a Western Digital Raptor X with 150 GB, no more, sorry.
    All your strings belong to me!
    www.strings-on-demand.com

Rather than starting a new thread, I'll respond to this one.

I'm in the same boat as Julio--I have two internal Harddrives, both around 100 gb in size, but from all my sample libraries to my audio recording and sample work, they fill up pretty fast.

Is it possible to get an external (Firewire, I presume would be the best) harddrive that is capable of containing these sample libraries and accessing them from my DAW? I guess the main issue is something that is fast enough.

Having a little difficulty finding external HDs over 7200RPM besides the Western Digital Raptor... I was hoping for a little more than 150gb.

What works for me. I purchase the Seagate 500 GB internal hard drives and then buy firewire enclosures for them. Much cheaper and works great! There are MANY enclosures on the market. They are so easy to put together! I have never had any problems with the four that I put together.

Peace

rikp

Quote Originally Posted by jvidal2003
    Hi,

I'm thinking about buying an external HD to store my sample libraries and virtual instruments (EWQLSO Gold, Stormdrum, Halion libs, Atmosphere, Stylus RMX, and Trilogy. The other two internal SCSI drives on my PC are maxed out and I'm on a tight budget. I've found this 500 GB Seagate eSATA external hard drive for $ 150. It looks like a good deal, except that I've learned that the drive's access time is 25 ms which, as far as I know, is too much for an audio drive. Any thoughts or recommendations? Is anybody using this drive for audio?

Thanks,

Julio
    Well, I guess that means I am screwed. I thought the 3gb/sec number meant I was in good shape.

Where is the information about the 25 ms seek time?

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Quote Originally Posted by jeffn1
    Well, I guess that means I am screwed. I thought the 3gb/sec number meant I was in good shape.

Where is the information about the 25 ms seek time?

jeffn1
    Thanks everybody for answering my post. I've found the information here (Tom's Hardware). They say the reason for the high access time might be the PCI adapter card that comes with the drive. I did some more research on the web and found that the probable cause could also be a feature called "quiet seek mode" which is enabled on the drive. jeffn1, are you using this drive?

Julio

Quote Originally Posted by jvidal2003
    Thanks everybody for answering my post. I've found the information here (Tom's Hardware). They say the reason for the high access time might be the PCI adapter card that comes with the drive. I did some more research on the web and found that the probable cause could be a feature called "quiet seek mode" which is enabled on the drive. jeffn1, are you using this drive?

Julio
    I haven't hooked it up yet. I did buy a separate SIIG PCI/eSATA interface (before I bought the drive)

I am not sure when I was going to hook it up. But, when I do I will let you know how it goes.

jeffn1
    For original progressive electronic rock influenced by J.S. Bach and (old) Rush, check out: www.soundclick.com/jeffreynaness.

Well, this guy did not discover a problem:

http://macaudiopro.digitalmedianet.c...e.jsp?id=53423

But, even though it was an audio article, he did not seem to really test for performance as a sample (or audio) drive.

jeffn1

Julio, I just thought I would update this thread based on my current situation. I installed the Seagate 300 eSATA drive using the included Promise PCI/eSATA card (I had also bought a new siig card, which, believe it or not, did not fit right in my Dell 8300).

Everything set up fine. I have tried Vintaudio C7, Horizon Overdrive and Wusikstation data files on the drive. So far, so good. I noticed when I try to select a program, it takes a second for the drive to start spinning. This does not bother me too much (it adds a small amount of loading time, I guess). But, I have not observed a problem playing the parts.

Then again, I have not put much stress on it with mutiple large samples playing back in a sequence.

I will keep you updated.

jeffn1

Jeff,

Thanks for the update. I'm still interested in the drive. Please, keep me posted.

Julio

Go Back to forum