• Register
  • Help

Topic: Bianca, a piece for a newborn child...

Share/Bookmark

Bianca, a piece for a newborn child...

this is my latest composition... "Bianca" is the name of the daughter of a firend of mine who was born last week... she's very cute! and i decided to take inspiration from her to compose something original...
    the main part is from GPO, but the orchestral is just supporting the theme played by the electric piano.... i also added an acusitc guitar solo and a bass/e-drum part.
    i think the theme is well developed... with some variation, a modulation and back... but since i have not studied composition i just wrote the parts "by ears"... and any suggestion will be welcome! :-)

this mp3 lacks the mastering, i just added a quick limiter on the main bus but i think it was setted a little "high" ... and it is somewhere smashing the sound too much... anyway this should not be a problem since when i will finish the piece i will try to take a more serious mastering. there is also some digital "click-crack" here and there.... i think have to otpimize the Sonar project...i was near the extreme..

http://www.alchemystudio.it/docs/bianca.mp3
    i am working on this piece since 4 days and i need some rest... and some suggestion! :-)
    thanks for listening!

EDIT: i already re-upload the piece...
    now the digital clips and crackles are gone (i hope...) and there is NO LIMITER! :-)
    some small variation in the mix, raised the oboe and flute, and compressed a little the orchestral percussion tracks...
    Last edited by bosone; 08-14-2007 at 02:53 PM. Reason: changed version

Re: Bianca, a piece for a newborn child...

Very pretty! You do a good job "by ears". . I especially like the oboe part.

I could really do without the guitar (?). It adds nothing in my opinion and actually detracts from the smooth nature of the music.

Thanks for letting us hear your music.

Regards,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Love music that you have created to honor your friend's daughter.

You might consider lowering the overall level of the sound. You are approaching distortion and places it is distorting in the lous passages. Also, the first oboe solo is a little too soft, covered by the accompaniment.

But eveything else to be said is that it is excellent work.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Hello, bosone

What a pretty song - So perfect as a great tribute to a little baby, for Bianca you told us about.

And it's definitely a song, with a melody which sounds like it's wanting to have lyrics.

What a production! - OK, so you were first to mention that you're aware of the distortion-how you were recording the mix just too hot. That can be taken care of. I think you were just excited to get the music Out there since you've been working away at it four days and wanted to have some people hear it. Good, now in Sonar just watch your meters, avoid having to be severe with compression or limiting - it'll work out great.

I'm sure you are aware of how very different people's ideas for balance and mixing can be. Never forget that even though the caveat of "in my opinion" isn't always included in feedback, it's always to be implied. For instance, in my case, I really enjoyed the guitar solo and found it very well suited for the piece. The Oboe's volume worked Most of the time for me, but I could hear some places where it was being drowned out when it shouldn't be. That's fixed with careful volume envelope work in Sonar, if you decide that's a note you want to work with.

It's really really nice. It's enjoyable to hear some pop music in here, and this was clearly a heart felt and well done project. Best of luck with your final mix!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

bosone,
    Very nice Pop melody to my taste! The introduction has warm Electric Piano feels; it tends to invite the listeners to hear all the way to the end...Pretty Progressive kind of song!
    You have good arrangement and structure built, only the last part need to be done is the mixing/mastering! Even as it is, I enjoy it and will listen more sometimes!

Long

thanks for listening and for the suggestions!
    i raised the oboe a bit, and next mix i will upload (i hope before saturday, then i will go on holyday...) i will not use any limiter! :-)

thanks again!

i reuploaded the piece with small variations...
    now the digital clips and crackles are gone (i hope...) and there is NO LIMITER! :-)
    some small variation in the mix, raised the oboe and flute, and compressed a little the orchestral percussion tracks...

the link remains the same of the first message

Just lovely, Bosone! And beautifully suited to the wonder
    and miracle of a newborn life -- the hope and the promise
    each new child represents.

One should always write "by ear", by the way; and those
    who do not should consider other uses for their time.

Very much enjoyed!

My best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Go Back to forum