• Register
  • Help

Topic: Ministry of Rock?

Share/Bookmark

Ministry of Rock?

Does it rock? I'm looking for some some rocks/modern stuff. I'm considering whether I should cherry pick different libraries from different companies (one for basses, one for guitars etc) or just go with MOR...

Opinions?

Re: Ministry of Rock?

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    Does it rock? I'm looking for some some rocks/modern stuff. I'm considering whether I should cherry pick different libraries from different companies (one for basses, one for guitars etc) or just go with MOR...

Opinions?
    (Hearsay mode on: First off, my understanding from reading around (not from first-hand experience though) is that EW's new PLAY engine is, in the words of one frustrated user whom i will quote, "not ready for primetime." That would pull me up short right there, absent a major update release and general improvement in user feedback. (::Hearsay mode off)

Leaving that completely aside, I would say it depends greatly on your needs in this way: is time pressure a very, very serious issue for you? (i.e., music to vid, ad/tv work need to be able to kick something out in a day kind of issue?) If so, then you might seriously consider an EW product such as MOR. Production has been done for you; plug and play. Probably not overly flexible or broad in what you can get out of it per patch, but it will do well, and do quickly, what is showcased in the demos.

Absent any superlative user feedback about MOR, I personally would not go this route. I think that if you have a sufficiently good effects base, which many people who have been doing this for a while do, you can get more for less from your second strategy, which is to cherry-pick various libraries. By sufficient effects base, i mean a collection of amp modeling/impulse response library/guitar fx plugs and the like, such that you can take a clean sound and make it rock to your satisfaction.

Just for example, assuming you have the above, you could get RealStrat, due to be released this month, (and it probably will be; the video demos are online and the splash page is up), which will get you better and more flexible chords and strumming. For guitar soloing, numerous excellent guitar libraries of all cost ranges are available. Pettinhouse 4Gb DirectBass for Kontakt can be had for something like $64 right now, if you opt for a misprinted-label or jewelcaseless copy, and as a bass player, i will tell you it sounds fantastic and is impressively nuanced and flexible (and is insane value for money). You probably already have a great drum plug, but if not, there's DFHS, BFD, AD, Funk Equipment, Scarbee, and the like.

These instruments are mostly clean, so you do need the fx infrastructure to get a broad sound palette. But the point is that if you have that, you get deep flexibility from each instrument itself and with it the opportunity for stunning realism if you know the real instrument decently in functional terms, and further deep flexibility from being able to style your own fx chain and sound from the ground up. It's a more involved process with more input from you, which is what flexibility entails, but in my opinion gets you longer shelf-life and ultimately more musicality. YMMV.

I have both Gypsy and VOP, the problems in Play are certainly there and the updates are supposed to find the samples automatically but don't, they have released two updates for the library (some samples were missing) and an overall update for Play. When the first overall update was installed it had more bugs than it fixed ( I ended up with the Fab Four front end!)

I think they are getting there, but I had threatened to return the libraries under the sale of goods act here in the UK.

I have however been pleased with both libraries. They do sound great!

Simon
    www.sounds-and-images.co.uk

And now also at Flickr!

http://flickr.com/photos/sounds-and-images/

www.myspace.com/simonfielder

NorthernSounds.NET.
    View Simon Fielder's Profile at NorthernSounds.net

Hi both, and thanks.

I have faith that EW will have updated Play to a satisfactory level at the time I buy what I need. To answer your question about speed - Well - I'm not a very knowledgeable rock player/listener. What I need is to add a guitar, bass, rock drums and place it in an electronic/synth/orchestral setting as flavor. In other words I'm not planning lengthy solos, but rather spicing up an action track.

Seems MOR would be a good ticket? Ofourse I want each indivisual patch top be high quality even if I dont use it extensively.

Quote Originally Posted by Marcussen
    Hi both, and thanks.

I have faith that EW will have updated Play to a satisfactory level at the time I buy what I need. To answer your question about speed - Well - I'm not a very knowledgeable rock player/listener. What I need is to add a guitar, bass, rock drums and place it in an electronic/synth/orchestral setting as flavor. In other words I'm not planning lengthy solos, but rather spicing up an action track.

Seems MOR would be a good ticket? Ofourse I want each indivisual patch top be high quality even if I dont use it extensively.
    That being the case, yes, you sound like the archetypal EW target customer. I woulld wait until PLAY is ironed out a bit, and go for it.

Just basing it off the demos and user feedback, MOR seems very high quality and its owners are very happy with the sounds, at least a dozen user feedbacks I read about
    www.energiestudios.com

Just in case anyone is still reading this thread.... No, I would not buy MOR and I would cherry pick. Why? Because I've owned it for a while and it's not what it's hyped up to be. I've played guitar enulations for years, so it's not the learning curve. It's the fact that only the solo lines are good. The chord strumming (ha!) and other features are pretty hoaky. That said, the guitars are not very good. Listen carefully to the demos and you'll note that it's the lead that stands out while the rhythm chords are just run-of-the-mill, any other sampled guitar can do and the "machine gun" problem is "in effect". In other words, strumming is poor.

The guitars killed it for me and I think RealStrat or LPC guitar would be the way to go. Check out their video demos of live performance on the Musiclab and Prominy websites. I own LPC guitar and RealGuitar (by Musiclab). RealGuitar is a very good acoustic guitar emulator. The strumming is fantastic and convincing. LPC guitar is more flexible than the electrics in MOR and performs much better. EW actually banned me from their website for mentioning LPC, RealGuitar and RealStrat as being better choices in one of my posts. They said I was "advertising" third party products.

The drums and basses in MOR are good, but you could do better with Addictive Drums or Battery 3, both of which are much more flexible. I won Batery 3 and have used the demo version of Addictive Drums. Basses...there are lots of good bass programs. Another draw back to MOR is that it only has a limited choice of channel outputs as a VST, which also limits external processing. And finally, its a CPU hog when the interface is open due to the overly elaborate graphics. Unless you've got a monster of a system, performance will suffer and your sequences may crash if they're VST heavy.

I do use MOR sometimes for the drums and basses, and sometimes a guitar. But it's far from being a "one stop" answer to rock. The best answer is to have a selection to choose from so that your productions don't always sound the same. I wouldn't opt for buyiong a three-piece suit to wear everyday just to save money. Get the three piece only is you've got a full wardrobe.

Thanks for your thoughts. I actually have LPC but find it too cumbersome... This has to do with me not knowing a lot about guitars - so I guess it's daunting to me the same way VSL can be daunting to someone with little knowledge of orchestral instruments.

So the reason MOR is attractive to me is that it could give me the a "rock sound" in some of my mixes, without making actual rock music. But I'm still looking around.

I bought MOR recently and like what it can do. I havent had the PLAY issues that others have experenced. A few crackly samples (which I know they will fix). Very Playable. I love the Basses. I have real players that I bring in most of the time and this blends well with that.

-T

Go Back to forum