• Register
  • Help

Topic: Which KP2 Plugin?

Share/Bookmark

Question Which KP2 Plugin?

Okay, I definitely am not a Mensa member and I am somewhat confused on the KP2 plugin. I am using Tracktion 3 and have an AMD 4200+ dual core processor running Windows XP SP2 with 2 gigs of ram and 5 hard drives giving me nearly half a terabyte of storage.

I have been crashing to desktop a lot lately and wonder what maybe causing it. Wav files in Tracktion alone have no problems. (I haven't crashed once even with 20 or more tracks of audio.) But, with one KP2 pluging and 8 tracks, BAM back to desktop or worse. As I have been struggling with this the past month, I have come to a realization that in my plugin section there are 3 versions of KP2. One is listed as Kontakt Player 2, the next as Kontakt Player 2 8 synth outs and the third as Kontakt Player 2 16 synths out.

The question is which one should be used or does it make any difference. And finally if it doesn't make any difference why can't KP2 handle more than 6 or 7 instruments in its rack before my CPU overloads. (oh, did I forget to mention that the CPU meter goes to red which means CPU overload.)

It is not just Tracktion because the same thing happens to me in Sonar HS.

Any one who can shed some light on this would have my very grateful thanks. It is frustrating saving every minute and fearing the inevitable crash.

THANKS
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: Which KP2 Plugin?

KontaktPlayer2.dll, KontaktPlayer2_16.dll and KontaktPlayer2_8.dll are VSTi plugins with different output capabilities. KontaktPlayer2.dll can deliver 16 stereo/32 mono output channels, KontaktPlayer2_16.dll can deliver 8 stereo/16 mono channels and KontaktPlayer2_8.dll can deliver 4 stereo/8 mono channels. My guess is, you pay a performance penalty (CPU/RAM) with the larger plugins, but I don't know how big this is.

Did you enable "Multiprocessor support" in KP2's Options | Audio Engine and "Use Multiprocessing Engine" in Sonar's Options | Audio | Advanced? If not, you will be running on one core only. Tracktion may have a similar setting.

Re: Which KP2 Plugin?

Did you enable "Multiprocessor support" in KP2's Options | Audio Engine and "Use Multiprocessing Engine" in Sonar's Options | Audio | Advanced? If not, you will be running on one core only. Tracktion may have a similar setting.08-14-2007 01:02 PM
    Thanks for the response Nickie, it is much appreciated. Yes, to your question, Tracktion is dual core enabled and with audio file the CPU is barely working. I will try using the KP2 with eight outs and double them up when necessary but, with 2 gigs of mem I don't think that should really make a difference. Your explanation of each player makes sense and I appreciate that.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Go Back to forum