• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Topic: OTish - just bought a monster machine

Share/Bookmark

OTish - just bought a monster machine

I've been wanting to buy a new PC for some time now, and I finally splurged on something fancy-schmancy for myself.

For the geek-minded, the processor is an Intel E6750 Dual Core, 2.66GHz, 1333Mhz FSB, 4MB L2 Cache, going with 4GB RAM, and three drives (OS/Program, Audio, Samples). I'm having it custom-built by ADK, and should see it in about 2 weeks.

What can I say? I got tired of waiting for my samples to load! Here's hoping I never have to freeze another track in Sonar!

Just wanted to share my happiness.
    - Jamie Kowalski

All Hands Music - Kowalski on the web
    The Ear Is Always Correct - Writings on composition

Re: OTish - just bought a monster machine

I had a computer built by ADK too. I think you will be very happy with the computer and their customer service. Mine has been very stable and solid with Sonar.

Sounds VERY nice! Having a custom PC can always have it's advantages. I had my PC custom built last year and it performs like a dream. Although I originally had it built as an extreme gaming PC, I've had a few mods incorperated into it since its conception. I sometimes still have a few minor latency issues when loading too many samples from my library but, all in all, the performance has been exceptional.

Just remember, even though your PC is custom built, you still may have to tweak, and tune various things once you get it and start using it to best fit your needs;that is almost a given. However, once you get familiar with what it can do, you will find tweaking much easier as you go.

Best of luck and I can't wait to hear some of your compositions using your new PC!

Jaker "Shaver"

Congratulations. Unless you run XP64 or any other 64-bit OS, you can't use the full 4 Gb internal RAM. Windows XP will not permit that. You will end up with 3200 Mb RAM and about 800 "useless" RAM. The BIOS will assign that to something else.

At least that is what I had to do. That term "useless" is not quite true, it has a name in BIOS I forgot.

Sonar is at full speed now and freezing tracks..... you will notice that sometimes it is still necessary. But not to temper you enthusiasm, it is really a "JUMP" ahead. I still love my machine (about the same as yours).

Raymond

The person who helped me on the phone was extremely patient, very helpful, and very knowledgeable. ADK only builds DAWs, and most of them are musicians who understand all the things that come up for us. They tweak the system to get the very best performance, and are even installing Sonar (from my SN) and tweaking that as well.

In any case, this will be a HUGE jump up for me. I've been using my P4 DELL with 1GB RAM for some time, and I'm really looking forward to a major speedup in my work-flow. I'll be keeping my old machine for all my other apps, and use the new one solely for audio work, to keep it from getting cluttered.
    - Jamie Kowalski

What kind of sound processing does it have?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanPerkins
    What kind of sound processing does it have?
    I'll be using a Presonus Firebox.
    - Jamie Kowalski

Congratulations!

What type of drives (size, speed, Sata? Sata II)? Did you consider
    eSata?

OS? XP32? XP64? Vista32? Vista64?

Like many people, I've been considering getting a newer system but can't
    decide about 32 vs. 64 bit or dual core vs. quad core. I just read an article
    tonight that said that octo core systems will be out in early 2008.

I guess with technology you just have to jump in at some point. There will
    always be something newer, faster, bigger, etc.

Can we expect your offerings in the Listening Room to increase 8 fold?

- k
    "An artist is someone who produces things that people don't need to have, but that he - for some reason - thinks it would be a good idea to give them."

- Andy Warhol

At under $300, there's no reason NOT to go Quad-core on the PC platform!
    "AAAAUUUUGGHHHHHHH!!!!!!" -- Charlie Brown

Well, it sounds expensive! And great, but I seem to be falling behind in technology. I have no idea about quad core or dual core. I guess it's time to look up a few things.

I configure my drives differently: OS & applications; data; backup. Would you mind explaining your rationale for me? How do you handle backup?

Richard

Go Back to forum