• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "Silent Night"

Share/Bookmark

"Silent Night"

I promise that this is my last Xmas tune.
    In 1967/8, while at the University of Alabama, I relunctantlly agreed with the new choral director to put on a Xmas concert. I did arrangements such as this one, plus "We Three Kings Rock" and "Hark, the Angel Harold Swings" hoping to offend and/or have everybody in the audience (of that very conservative area) running for the doors. A few did leave, saying the music was "sacreligious." However, that sacriledge became an annual tradition that marks the beginning of the season and still goes on today.

Go to this web site if you are curious to hear a controverial arrangement.

http://www.alexandermusic.com/resources/SilentNight.mp3

Re: "Silent Night"

Hi, Sosmus

MMmm nice--Just as I enjoyed your first post, I am So Loving your sense and style of arranging. SO nice!

But - I don't get it. I was waiting for the "sacreligious" part--Like, I thought maybe an electric guitar was going to slam into the lush chords, or a heavy metal drum kit was going to take over---Are you serious that people ever found these objectionable? What the...?

On the tech side - There are the same issues of you not yet taking advantage of GPO's special tools, primarily the Legato function. I think you said you couldn't access that in your program or something?--But the strings are still coming across like keyboard chords, choppy and not as realistic as GPO strings so easily can be with the use of Legato.

Reverb is needed too. - Hope you can get into ways you can add the things that will make your recordings even better, taking them beyond the "computer music" arena.

Thanks for coming back with more - And I for one am certainly not tired of hearing Christmas stuff this early, no problem at all.

Randy B.
    (rbowser

I have uploaded the latest version of Steve's "Silent..." chart.

Sounds mighty good, neighbor. Looking forward to more from your talented pen.

My best,

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

Randy B:
    I did turn on the Finale "legato" but you say it needs more. How?

As to the sacrilege, if it was not I, IV, V, I or not in the Broadman Hymnal then you're going to that place we can't mention. Luckily, it was just a few disgruntled tone deaf folks.

I want better sounds but I don't want to get so immersed in the production that I ignore the writing. I'm going to get better, it will just take a while.

Thanks for the thanks and advice.

Steve

Steve, these are superb harmonies. How do you do them? Would you mind posting a PDF of the score?

For humanizing the performance -- I understand that Finale has a Humanize Playback function. Unfortunately I don't know anything about it, other than what what I've read on these forums, as I don't use Finale myself. Maybe one of the Finale users can point you in the right direction as to how to apply it. From what I understand, it makes the playback sound more natural with a minimum of effort on the user's part.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

to diligamus:
    I will certainly post the score. I have two versions, the published type that conductors would use and a psuedo-midi one that I used for making aiff's and mp3's. Which would you prefer? Maybe some one can look at what I'm doing and help me with the "tweaking."
    I do use the "human playback" and a legato setting but evidently that is not enough. I write the score and then have the instruments play it back, just the way I do with live players. I don't want to get so caught up in production that it takes away from writing new stuff.
    Thanks for asking.
    Steve

We're almost neighbors.

Quote Originally Posted by sosmus
    We're almost neighbors.
    I was just thinking that! By about 50 miles anyway.

For myself I'd love to see the most full version you have, pseudo MIDI and all. I'd like to see how you do the harmonies, but I'm also curious about this "other world" of the notation program user. (I am a Sonar man myself.) If any Finale users happen to drop by, that would be the most informative for them too.
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Beautiful arrangement! The harmonies are indeed superb.
    Sean Patrick Hannifin
    My MP3s | My Melody Generator | my album
    "serious music" ... as if the rest of us are just kidding

Glad that you finally got this posted to the forum. Very nice work...great harmonizations and presence of the piece. It is amazing what Finale can do when the time is taken to put the piece into place in the notation of the work.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

RBowser;
    I think Larry has reloaded a newer, edited version. See if you can hear a difference.
    Thanks,
    Steve

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast