• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Piano and Flute

Share/Bookmark

Piano and Flute

I do a lot of improv on the piano. This is a improv'd piece to which I added a flute. Both the piano and flute are from JABB and I am sure the mix is not all it can be. I am learning how to use Garritan Studio to mix and haven't figured it all out yet. I have tried to find a tutorial on the ambience section, but no luck so far, so this is the best I've come up with.

As I said, the piano is improv recorded into Sibelius and I scored the flute by inputting the notes by mouse and then recording thru JABB.
    Any suggestions to make a better sound thru Garritan Studio would be appreciated.

Here is the MP3
    http://www.box.net/shared/51xlydgvve

Re: Piano and Flute

I liked your piano improvisation with flute.

For sound I wonder if separating them more left and right would give more dimension to it.

And you might try a little reverb, especially on the flute for a fuller sound.

Phil

Quote Originally Posted by fastlane
    I liked your piano improvisation with flute.

For sound I wonder if separating them more left and right would give more dimension to it.

And you might try a little reverb, especially on the flute for a fuller sound.

Phil
    Thanks for the listen. I know how to change the pan and will try that, but if I add reverb to the flute, then the piano gets it as well and that I do not want. I haven't figured out how to change the ambience for just 1 instrument in Garriton Studio.

Another unpredictable, fun excursion with "Rolifer In Wonderland!" You're a wild man!

--You're using Garritan Studio - This means you haven't upgraded to Kontact Player 2, since that supercedes the need for using Studio in a notation program - That's my understanding anyway. I'm still using Kontact Player 1, and have used the Studio a tiny bit, on the rare occassion when I wanted to get a score through Overture.

But I can explain what the problem is that you're having with not being able to separate your signals so each track can have a different amount of reverb. What I'm describing is the same for using Studio or the regular single Kontact player.

With an instance of Kontact open in Studio, in the dark window on the left hand side of the player, in the bottom right hand corner of that window, see the icon that looks like a sideways pitch fork? Next to it are the numbers 1/2. That's referring to the first pair of stereo outs from the player. You want the instrument in the first slot to be assigned to that default setting of 1/2. But from then on, as you add instruments, you need to click on that 1/2 and choose the next pair of stereo outs. Instrument number two will be assigned to 3/4, then it's 5/6 on up through 15/16. You see? Each number is for one of the two tracks that makes up a stereo send.

Now you'll have your instruments coming out of different channels - tracks - and you can assign different reverb to each.

Another tech note - You have some digital clipping going on in this recording. That's just a matter of the signal being too hot. You need to check your playback levels carefully before committing a project to audio.

And the panning suggestion already made will be helpful. The JABB piano is in very wide stereo, sounding by default as if it's slightly left. Move the Flute towards the right, maybe between 25 and 35% somewhere. That'll be a good adjustment also.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Another unpredictable, fun excursion with "Rolifer In Wonderland!" You're a wild man!

--You're using Garritan Studio - This means you haven't upgraded to Kontact Player 2, since that supercedes the need for using Studio in a notation program - That's my understanding anyway. I'm still using Kontact Player 1, and have used the Studio a tiny bit, on the rare occassion when I wanted to get a score through Overture.

But I can explain what the problem is that you're having with not being able to separate your signals so each track can have a different amount of reverb. What I'm describing is the same for using Studio or the regular single Kontact player.

With an instance of Kontact open in Studio, in the dark window on the left hand side of the player, in the bottom right hand corner of that window, see the icon that looks like a sideways pitch fork? Next to it are the numbers 1/2. That's referring to the first pair of stereo outs from the player. You want the instrument in the first slot to be assigned to that default setting of 1/2. But from then on, as you add instruments, you need to click on that 1/2 and choose the next pair of stereo outs. Instrument number two will be assigned to 3/4, then it's 5/6 on up through 15/16. You see? Each number is for one of the two tracks that makes up a stereo send.

Now you'll have your instruments coming out of different channels - tracks - and you can assign different reverb to each.

Another tech note - You have some digital clipping going on in this recording. That's just a matter of the signal being too hot. You need to check your playback levels carefully before committing a project to audio.

And the panning suggestion already made will be helpful. The JABB piano is in very wide stereo, sounding by default as if it's slightly left. Move the Flute towards the right, maybe between 25 and 35% somewhere. That'll be a good adjustment also.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    I found the pitchfork and changed the track numbers, but get no sound other than 1/2. I see no place in studio that says use this track or whatever. I have been searching for a tutorial on studio or jabb and can't find anything either. Do you know if when I buy Sib 5 and GPO for sib, whether or not they come with Kontact 2 and if Jabb will then work with it?

I'm still using Kontact Player 1, and have used the Studio a tiny bit, on the rare occassion when I wanted to get a score through Overture.
    Now Overture 4 can handle GPO as plain VST, in other words no need for Studio anymore. I just finished setting up all tracks (my new piece) with their counterpart in GPO KP1.

Raymond

Quote Originally Posted by Raymond62
    Now Overture 4 can handle GPO as plain VST, in other words no need for Studio anymore. I just finished setting up all tracks (my new piece) with their counterpart in GPO KP1.

Raymond
    I use sib4 and Jabb and Studio

Sorry that didn't help, Rolifer- You need input from a Sibelius user, which I'm not. I just think there has to be a way in the notation program for you to point each staff line to which track its instrument is coming from inside Studio.

"...I see no place in studio that says use this track or whatever..."

I don't understand that part. In studio you just select instruments, put them each on different tracks, and do whatever tweaking of volumes etc that you want. All the rest has to be done inside the host program you're using for recording/rendering.

But at least you found the track selector--I assure you, that's the Only way to get any work done, otherwise EVerything will be coming out of one channel--like trying to watch 16 TV channels simultaneously inside one screen, and trying to make sense of them.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Sorry that didn't help, Rolifer- You need input from a Sibelius user, which I'm not. I just think there has to be a way in the notation program for you to point each staff line to which track its instrument is coming from inside Studio.

"...I see no place in studio that says use this track or whatever..."

I don't understand that part. In studio you just select instruments, put them each on different tracks, and do whatever tweaking of volumes etc that you want. All the rest has to be done inside the host program you're using for recording/rendering.

But at least you found the track selector--I assure you, that's the Only way to get any work done, otherwise EVerything will be coming out of one channel--like trying to watch 16 TV channels simultaneously inside one screen, and trying to make sense of them.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    I appreciate that you tried to help. I wish there was a place to go to find out how to use studio. I get the reverb from ambience, which is a part of studio, but not made by Garritan. The guy that makes it, does not have a set of directions.

Great work Ron! Sorry I almost missed this one.
    You must feel very satisfied and spent after such a free-thought outpour of musical randomness.

Michael
    "...Wiktor's a Jekyll-Hyde personality..." - Lycos Music
    http://www.miserymadebeautiful.com

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast