• Register
  • Help

Topic: VSL VI, GVI, Kompakt, Play + other virtual instruments going to work together ok?

VSL VI, GVI, Kompakt, Play + other virtual instruments going to work together ok?

Just been reading up a bit about all these virtual intruments as i've been out of the loop for a few years and basically I want to know if these virtual instruments are all going to get on together in the one session? Running them all as vst''i's or whatever in 1 instance of software like cubase/sonar going to work ok?

It seems all the developers are making their own engines. But are they going to be friendly with each other in the virtual world. So does anyone have experinces with using VSL VI, GVI and other stand alones like the Kompakt player, etc, all together in 1 session. Example would would be 10 VSL VI in channels 1-10 then 10 GVI giga instuments in channels 11-20 then 10 different version of kompakt or something etc, in channels 21-30, Then keeping in mind the new Play from east west that is not released yet, but lets add channels 31-40 for Play in this example... now the question is are we still alive and making great music or have we jumped out the window due to frustration?

What's the good or bad word on the street.

Re: VSL VI, GVI, Kompakt, Play + other virtual instruments going to work together ok?

From my experience: don't mix sample playback engines when you are sample hungry. They are usually not designed with competition-friendly intelligent processor recourse handling. If, for example, the Native Instruments engine loads up 10 instances it will by design assume to have certain resources available. When a second engine is opened it assumes to have access to the same or similar resources and you will find drastic performance issues arising once they each load up and play serious amounts of samples. Naturally this only comes around when you have limited CPU power and free RAM available. A quad core MacPro with 8 GB RAM will allow you to do a lot more than a modest off-the-shell Dell machine. And the only work around I know that really works is track freezing. If you " freeze" a track, you will adequately unload the recourses assigned to a certain (Virtual Instrument) engine and work with an off-line audio rendition of the same instrument track. You can playback and mix these tracks without problems but you can not change the midi info or even plug-in settings. but this allows you to open more and other Virtual Instruments and freeze these tracks also when you're satisfied with the results, avoiding conflicts between different plug-ins. The downside of this method of working is that it basically fixes your initial tempi for the rest of your working process.
    So my initial advise would be to simply choose your favorite engine and stick with it. Add second and third engines only in the final stages of your work, when you can avoid conflicts and start using frozen tracks.
    Best regards,
    Michiel Post

Go Back to forum