• Register
  • Help

Topic: MIDI problem, GPO piano vs. JABB electric piano

Share/Bookmark

MIDI problem, GPO piano vs. JABB electric piano

In Cubase, I have on one track the GPO Steinway, and on another track the JABB electric piano. I have mod wheel volume settings in place on both tracks. Routing: one goes to GPO channel 1, the other goes to JABB channel 1.

When I click on the piano track, I hear the Steinway just fine, and can input MIDI data. If I click the virtual keyboard on the left of the Cubase window, I can hear the notes, and see the clicked notes change appearance; same thing if I click notes on the virtual keyboard in the GPO setup window. When I play my MIDI keyboard in this track, Cubase acknowledges MIDI data being sent (via a meter) and records and/or plays the Steinway sounds. All is well, there.

When I click on the electric piano track, I hear nothing, and my keyboard does NOT input MIDI data. If I click the virtual keyboard on the left of the Cubase window, I can hear the notes, and see the clicked notes change appearance; same thing if I click notes on the virtual keyboard in the JABB setup window. When I play my MIDI keyboard in this track, Cubase acknowledges MIDI data being sent (via a meter) but doesn't record or play the elec. pno. sounds.

Any ideas why this might be, and what I need to do to fix it?

Thanks,

Rebecca
    MacBook Pro, OS X 10.5.4; full GPO, JABB, C&MB; Cubase SL3.1.1.944; Finale 2007c; KP2.

Re: MIDI problem, GPO piano vs. JABB electric piano

It sounds like you haven't set the proper MIDI-in controls on the track for the electric piano. Make sure that "omni" or your midi keyboard's MIDI-IN is selected in the input menu for that particular track.

Hope this helps,
    Reegs

Nope, both tracks are set to accept MIDI input from any source.

Good try, thank you! Any other ideas?

R.
    MacBook Pro, OS X 10.5.4; full GPO, JABB, C&MB; Cubase SL3.1.1.944; Finale 2007c; KP2.

Hmmmm, I can't untangle the problem from what you've described, Rebecca, but it has to be a signal routing problem. You have the matching audio VSTi tracks for both GPO and JABB I take it?

But something in your first paragraph indicates an error - you said you have mod wheel cc1 data in both tracks, but those keyboard instruments don't respond to cc1. Their volumes are controlled just by velocity. - That isn't what your problem is, but wanted you to know about that mistake.

I'll think some more!

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Hi Tom,

Never mind. Just figured it out. Cubase has a little crooked arrow icon that it calls an "Input Transformer". The Steinway track, it was set to OFF. The EP track, it was set to Local. Once I set both to OFF, both tracks work.

Life is peachy again.

My friend Craig, a guitarist, laughs at me and says I need one of those T-shirts that say "MIDI: Where's the sound?"

Thanks for your time!

Rebecca

Go Back to forum