• Register
  • Help

Topic: Favourite Orchestrators?

Favourite Orchestrators?

Hey Folks,

Just wondering if anyone had favourite orchestrators? Being young, I'm quite new in listening to classical/serious music, but from what I've listened to I really like Prokofiev as an orchestrator, artistically speaking at least.

Re: Favourite Orchestrators?

Stravinsky, John Williams and Ligeti are my idols as far as orchestration goes. The only problem with Ligeti is that he is often using all the parts in an ensemble as though they were soloists in an extremely difficult concerto - the results are incredible, but most players aren't willing to put in that kind of work just to be a part of an ensemble effect, so don't necessarily take him as a role model.

Mahler, Wagner, Ravel, Debussy, Shostakovich, Takemitsu.
    Dan Powers

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers
    Mahler, Wagner, Ravel, Debussy, Shostakovich, Takemitsu.
    How did I forget Takemitsu?

Ok, I know almost nothing about classical music, but I'm wondering why the question was posed using the word "orchestrators" instead of "composers". Please elucidate.

The question had to do with the way different composers approach the task of writing for orchestra, the unique ways some composers have of using orchestral color as an element of composition. Some composers have a distinctive way of using orchestral color, and some are justifiably regarded as masters of the art.

And we all have our favorites.
    Dan Powers

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

Beethoven and Rimsky-Korsakov stir my soul, and of course Mozart.

Los Angeles

Yes, Beethoven is recognized in all the modern books on orchestration as every bit as genius in how he said what he said. It's curious that you hear a don't study Beethoven for orchestration creed from some people as if studying perhaps the greatest composer who ever lived is somehow a negative. If you consider that well composed music is what orchestrates best and even easiest then LvB is a perfect model.
    Dave Connor www.daveconnor.net

Go Back to forum