• Register
  • Help
Results 1 to 8 of 8

Topic: difference between full GPO and Finale 2008 GPO

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    difference between full GPO and Finale 2008 GPO

    Hi all,

    I just upgraded to Finale 2008 (from version 1!) and have a question about the included GPO samples.

    So far, I think they are really good. But is there a difference in the sound quality between the Finale version and the full version of GPO? I know you get more instruments with full GPO but is there a difference in bit depth, number of velocity layers, number of keys per zone, etc?

    Would a Finale score played back using Full GPO sound much better than if it were using the Finale version of GPO?

    Thanks,
    Charles

  2. #2

    Re: difference between full GPO and Finale 2008 GPO

    I'm with Tom - full version is better.

    Upgrade from version 1? Wow, good luck to you. Finale 2008 is great.

  3. #3

    Re: difference between full GPO and Finale 2008 GPO

    Quote Originally Posted by Prince of Music
    I would have to say... for SURE.... while the included Finale GPO is nice... there is no comparison to the full version.

    Tom
    This is interresting.

    I use full GPO with Finale 2008. Originally I thought that the Finale set would be the same quality as in full GPO but it makes sense that the full GPO patches would be better quality.

    Whatever, I certainly would upgrade to the full GPO, it's well worth it.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

  4. #4

    Re: difference between full GPO and Finale 2008 GPO

    unless I hear differenly from someone from Garritan's company, I'd have to say that I see no difference between the Finale Edition GPO sounds and the "full version" sounds other than the more limited choice in instruments.

    As a matter of fact, the Finale edition library had one advantage over the Full version in that the solo strings had sampled tremolo while full version did not.

    how about something official from either Gary himself or someone else at Garritan instead of off the cuff "oh yeah, the sounds are better" from people who actually have no idea?

  5. #5

    Re: difference between full GPO and Finale 2008 GPO

    Thanks for the replies everyone. I think I hear a difference too between the demos of the full version online and what I hear from Finale 2008. But that could be a result of any number of things like reverb, eq and such.

    I'd like to know if there are any technical differences between the two versions as well.

    In any case, GPO seems like a bargain for what you get.

    Quote Originally Posted by reberclark
    Upgrade from version 1? Wow, good luck to you. Finale 2008 is great.
    Yeah, I started with version 1 way back when and became fairly proficient at it. Then I switched to DP and Logic for years as my main composing apps. Now I thought I'd give Finale a try again. It's like meeting up with an old friend.

  6. #6

    Re: difference between full GPO and Finale 2008 GPO

    Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    unless I hear differenly from someone from Garritan's company, I'd have to say that I see no difference between the Finale Edition GPO sounds and the "full version" sounds other than the more limited choice in instruments.

    As a matter of fact, the Finale edition library had one advantage over the Full version in that the solo strings had sampled tremolo while full version did not.

    how about something official from either Gary himself or someone else at Garritan instead of off the cuff "oh yeah, the sounds are better" from people who actually have no idea?
    I think you're correct. The samples are not higher quality in GPO Full. There is just a significantly more complete orchestral set.

    So to answer... would a Finale score played back with full GPO sound better? No. And if the instrumentation provided in Finale is sufficient for your needs, I would not recommend getting GPO. Then again, you may get GPO and realize "hey, I'm glad I have this instrument now."

  7. #7

    Re: difference between full GPO and Finale 2008 GPO

    Quote Originally Posted by tfishbein82
    I think you're correct. The samples are not higher quality in GPO Full. There is just a significantly more complete orchestral set.

    So to answer... would a Finale score played back with full GPO sound better? No. And if the instrumentation provided in Finale is sufficient for your needs, I would not recommend getting GPO. Then again, you may get GPO and realize "hey, I'm glad I have this instrument now."
    Well, I had always believed that the Finale set has the same samples with the full GPO having a signicantly more complete instruments set. Until we hear differently from Gary or Tom I think it's safe to go back to believing that.

    Personally it doesn't change anything for me as I always use the full set anyway, although ... as the Finale set has sampled strings tremolo then I shall be exploring that.
    Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

  8. #8

    Re: difference between full GPO and Finale 2008 GPO

    now, after having been bitchy and kranky with my first post on this topic, I'd LOVE to add that the full version DOES have some wonderful advantages over the Finale edition GPO...

    While you can basically construct a full orchestra from the FInale edition GPO, with teh full version you have considerably more choice in the instrumental solos as well as a few samples that have particular effects, like the aggresive brass sounds, which are wonderful as overlays to the regular brass instruments for those "special" moments.

    another thing that makes getting the full version a no-brainer (apart from the great low price you get as a Finale user) is the entire set of both 1st and 2nd violins. When setting up an orchestra you can actually use unisons of 1st and 2nd violins without getting that annoying "strobing" effect that the SoftSYnth gives when you overlay the same sound.

    With the FInale edition GPO you would be stuck either using a non-KS string set for the 2nd violins (in other words, one that doesn't automatically switch from arco to pizz where needed) or you would have to use the same Violins KS for both 1st and 2nd violins... and that comes with the problem mentionned above.

    So, final analysis:
    Finale edition GPO = great, wonderful addition to a fine product.
    Full version GPO = GREAT, WONDERFUL ADDITION TO A FINE PRODUCT

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •