• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Game Music

Share/Bookmark

Game Music

Nobuo Uematsu is a bloody genius. I first heard this tune sixteen years ago and it hasn't left my head since. I've transcribed it by ear twice but it still completely mystifies me...

This is the "original" tune (actually my first transcription with square waves from a real gameboy)
    http://www.suspenlute.com/stuff/SAGAWRLD.XM.mp3

This is my first try at it with GPO: Harpsichord, Violin, Viola, and Cello.
    http://www.suspenlute.com/01/Chris%20Plor%e1n%20-%20Overworld%20(Nobuo%20Uematsu).mp3

This is a different rendering using SIR reverb in response to some comments below.
    http://www.suspenlute.com/01/Chris%2...Uematsu%29.mp3

Comments on production are very welcome, as I'm going to have serious trouble using this software for work and worship if all the instruments continually sound like they're playing in a phone booth.

-Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Re: Game Music

It's a nifty little ditty. I actually think the reverb sounds okay,

BUT

if you think it should be more dry ...

... take a look at this EXCELLENT tutorial!

http://garritan.info/index.php/Adjus...ience_in_Sonar
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

diligamus - I modified the mix slightly. How about now?
    The problem I keep having is that the more wet output there is, the more muffled the sound is, whereas the more dry output there is, the more unrealistic the sound is. Whatever it is I'm doing wrong, there's really nothing positive there, it's just a trade between two evils.

-Chris
    There is the music of Johann Sebastian Bach. Therefore there must be a God. You either get this one or you don't - Kreeft & Tacelli
    The will to achieve is not sufficient. Some things should not be achieved. - Rimsky-Korsakov
    Musicians are just these guys that want to make music. Okay, they want to have a wonderful lifestyle, but the majority just want to make really great music. - Jon Anderson

Chris,

This is a very interesting tune. The output sounds fine to me as I hear it. I guess you need to decide is the instruments are in balance with each other. But otherwise, well done!

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by suspenlute
    diligamus - I modified the mix slightly. How about now?
    The problem I keep having is that the more wet output there is, the more muffled the sound is, whereas the more dry output there is, the more unrealistic the sound is. Whatever it is I'm doing wrong, there's really nothing positive there, it's just a trade between two evils.
    It still sounds good to me but I am an amateur so easily pleased!
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Hello, Chris "Suspenlute"

#1 - I have to tell you how Happy I am to see you here with a musical post. To know that you're finding some time to exercise the talents you were given does my heart good.

This is a Very fun piece of music, I can see why you're attracted to it. - Is that the whole piece? - So short!

Your performance of it sounds great to me, very accomplished and energetic.

Reverb issues hmm? You've undoubtedly seen the various conversations on these Forums about Altiverb, and when listening to the results people get from using that convolution plugin, it's difficult to not be impressed. However, it's beyond the budgets for many of us.

BUT, the core ingredient of Altiverb is the impulse responses it uses - the recordings of "air" recorded in various spaces, which does the miraculous job of making recordings sounding like they're recorded in those various venues - from Churches, Opera Houses, Jazz Clubs etc.

That technology of convolution reverb is available inside more humble playback engines such as the free S.I.R. - You may want to investigate those to see if you can be happier with your mixes, because from your post, I can see that you are being very critical of your results - I think your ears are sensitive and require a more sophisticated reverb program than the Ambience that you're using.

Meanwhile, sticking with the Ambience plugin which you used on this - It sounds to me like you've chosen one of the smaller if not the smallest presets in it, and very possibly dialed back its parameters so it sounds even smaller - Thus your description of sounding like things are inside a phone booth is at least somewhat accurate.

Using too little reverb indeed makes virtual instruments sound less realistic, because we never hear instruments devoid of reverb in Real Life. There Has to be at least some reverb to add a missing life-like ingredient to samples. Thank heavens the Garritan Libraries don't have reverb sampled into them though - That would have severely limited the usefulness of the samples, forcing users to be stuck with a certain amount of reverb.

I would suggest you use a much larger reverb setting - a Concert Hall in Ambience, and then control the massive sound via the wet/dry sliders or via Sends in your mixer. I really feel you'll be happier with the results you could get from experimenting in that direction.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

#1 - I have to tell you how Happy I am to see you here with a musical post. To know that you're finding some time to exercise the talents you were given does my heart good.
    Randy: Thanks for your response. Finding time to exercise my talents was never a problem. Exercising them for my own entertainment and edification? That's well nigh impossible.

This is a Very fun piece of music, I can see why you're attracted to it. - Is that the whole piece? - So short!
    Yeah that's the whole song. It's video game BGM so it doesn't last long because usually you'll be attacked by something or other before the song has completed. If you're curious, the FIRST version I transcribed (many years ago) is available for a short time here using real gameboy samples and sounds basically identical to the original except for a lack of panning.

Your performance of it sounds great to me, very accomplished and energetic.
    Now that really warms my heart because it's not really a performance, just mouse entry and a new method of fast humanizing attacks that I've recently discovered (since FL Studio has no human playback or humanizing algorithms that actually work).

That technology of convolution reverb is available inside more humble playback engines such as the free S.I.R. - You may want to investigate those to see if you can be happier with your mixes, because from your post, I can see that you are being very critical of your results - I think your ears are sensitive and require a more sophisticated reverb program than the Ambience that you're using.
    When it comes to the audio issues I generally try to be as "sensitive" as humanly possible when listening to my own tunes. I'm still slowly learning to judge musical and aural quality separately but I don't want to use that as an excuse for failing to focus on the latter (not to mention the PA in my church makes all my mistakes 300dB louder ).

BUT---... I had a very old version of SIR on my computer and I'd found it slow and very difficult to use. Your response made me curious so I went to their website and wow- it looks like lots of development has taken place since I downloaded it. I'll definitely be looking further into its possibilities at the earliest opportunity.

Thanks
    -Chris

With a large room preset in Ambience I should mention that I usually find the result sounds less like a phone booth and more like the end of Led Zeppelin's "Over The Hills And Far Away"

-Chris

Hello again, Chris

Good deal, glad you checked out S.I.R. again. As someone said on a thread awhile back in the General Discussion Forum, the IRs in it sound as good as any. It's just that AltiVerb and some other companies have developed sophisticated engines to run the IRs and are charging good money for their work. There's a constant delay issue with S.I.R., but their site explains how to accurately compensate for it when needs be.

'...Finding time to exercise my talents was never a problem. Exercising them for my own entertainment and edification? That's well nigh impossible..."

I'm not following what the distinction is. Unless the talents you're referring to in the first sentence or those other than your musical talents?

"...Now that really warms my heart because it's not really a performance..."

Of course it's a performance! In my book, any way in which notes/sound can be put together so the output is music audio - whatever that method entails results in a performance. People who don't have limbs can, with the proper tools, create musical performances too, for instance.

Thanks for explaining the brevity of the piece. AH yes, game music - that stuff I never hear since I never play video games. - ! -

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Oh man - I'm back again already. Your response came in right ahead of my new one.

"...With a large room preset in Ambience I should mention that I usually find the result sounds less like a phone booth and more like the end of Led Zeppelin's 'Over The Hills And Far Away'..."

hehe--Yes, it will sound like that if you're using it at full strength. You gotta remember that standard reverb plugins like Ambience have these defaults which are never intended to be used full strength. What you hear is the full Potential reverb - but you add just a percentage of that processed sound to the mix.

The best way to control it is with a Send on a track's audio channel going to a Bus which has the full tilt Ambience. You dial that Send in to only about 1/4 of its full range.

If you have to use a reverb plugin directly, and I guess people have to in most notation programs - ? - then you accomplish the same mix by changing the dry/mix proportions directly in the plugin. The dry has to be Way more than the wet, and the two balanced so that you don't overload the signal.

The larger rooms Will sound more like what you're looking for used in SMall amounts. Repeating - the default full strength reverb is never meant to be used, unless you want a special Outer Space effect.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast