• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Minor Swing by Django Reinhardt

Share/Bookmark

Minor Swing by Django Reinhardt

I was inspired by watching my fellow classmate John Jorgenson play in our hometown the other night. It was an amazing concert and it inspired me to focus my JABB testing toward the guitar gypsy jazz of Django Reinhardt.

This was my first attempt at using the guitars in JABB. As a guitar player, I would have liked to have had a bit more control. The string bends do not sound realistic, so that, I admit, is the weakest point of the piece.

This is also my first use of Convolution Reverb. I'm glad Kontakt provides this, as I wanted to experiment with it. Being on the Macintosh, I had to employ a few tricks to get it to work. (it will not import impulses in the plugin).

I hope you enjoy this little bit of Swing that was created using JABB on an Intel iMac using GarageBand '08.

Minor Swing by Django Reinhardt
    Garritan on GarageBand '08 using Intel iMac with 1.5G RAM
    Listen to my collection here

Re: Minor Swing by Django Reinhardt

Your music file requires my installing the Quicktime player which I won't do. Since Quicktime is primarily for Apple computers, it doesn't get along with my PC at all. I installed it once in the past and it attempted to take over my music system, wouldn't let other music players operate and generally screwed things up in general.

I would like to hear your music, but...

Larry
    Larry G. Alexander
    www.alexandermusic.com

REally neat stuff, schneb! You got this baby really swinging--I'm having a great time listening again as I type. ah Do do DO doodley Do- ah Do do do, ah doodley do--Yeeeah.

You said you're not happy with the pitch bends - Might they not be just a little too severe, too deep?

There Was one odd moment when the entire recording seem to warp out, as if the whole master 2 track was being bent - at 1:09. - ?

But without a doubt, one of the best JABB guitar work outs I've heard yet.

Thanks!
    Randy B.
    (rbowser)

I didn't hear it as well for the same reason as Larry.
    I like very much the music of Django and would like to hear it, but...

Yudit

Larry, Yudit (shalom)--via your dual request, I have reposted to MP3. Make sure you hit reload to make sure you get the new page.

Randy, good advice as always. I backed off the pitch bend to "1" which seems to help quite a bit. Really glad you liked it. I like it too. I may just do another Django.

For those interested in the music of John Jorgenson, click here.

Hello again, Schneb

Hey, good deal - glad the pitch bend note helped. Yeah, a value of "1" is better for guitar since the notes don't bend all that much really.

Also good try at getting a more universally available link for your audio - but even after refreshing the page, I'm still seeing your original QuickTime player. - In regards to that, I've had QuickTime on this old Windows 98 machine for a long time with no problems. But everyone's set up is different and so there are no guarantees on how different utilities will react on various computers.

But you best check on what you tried to re-post - things don't appear to be changed.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

OK, the mime-type in the HTML is set for a Quicktime player. Here is the direct link to the MP3.

If I may chime in on Quicktime as well. The latest point version of Quicktime is not intrusive at all. That is, on my WinXP box at work. All it really did was assign quicktime to Apple-specific extensions. If a few, like MP3, are assigned to Quicktime, just go in to properties and change it to your previous. However, I have not found that to be the case with the latest installers. Real Media? That's a different story. You want to talk about hijacking!

Django,

This is a really nice, easy to listen to piece. Very clean and well balanced.

I agree with you about Quicktime installer. Just set it to process the files that you want.

Thanks for sharing it with us.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

This is nice and cool. Django Reinhardt, who else? I really enjoyed this piece.

Thank you, and

Raymond

I really enjoyed this. You did a great job with the rendering on this.

As far as Quicktime, I don’t have any problems at all on my XP machines. As you said, I refuse to install Realplayer – I did once and I had to reformat my hard drive to get rid of all the awful things it did.
    Trent P. McDonald

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast