• Register
  • Help

Topic: Do GigaStudio drivers run in the background all the time?

Share/Bookmark

Do GigaStudio drivers run in the background all the time?

I was just wondering if GigaStudio 2.5\'s .sys and driver files run in the background at all times, even when you\'re not running GigaStudio itself. Is this why so many antivirus apps have issues with Giga? I think Giga has a FILESPY.SYS that does SOMEthing..not sure what.. and my theory is that FILESPY.SYS gets in the way of the OS hooks that antivirus apps use for their resident auto protect defenses (that scan files as soon as they\'re accessed/opened/copied/run/etc).

Just curious. I ditched Norton Antivirus because it just couldn\'t pull its weight. Now I\'m trying other antivirus apps... Bitdefender and Avast are my favorites, but Avast\'s virus DB is not as comprehensive as Bitdefender\'s. However, Bitdefender\'s auto protect has some issues.. it just seems to stop working, and I don\'t know if it\'s because of Giga or other software, or if it\'s a big in Bitdefender.

Anyway... anyone know details? Is it possible to shut off these background Giga drivers until I\'m actually using Giga?

Thanks!

Re: Do GigaStudio drivers run in the background all the time?

The file running is msg32. YOu can see it if you hit cntr-alt-delete. You can shut it down from there if you need to for any reason. You would need to reboot to use Giga though. The filespy thing you mentioned is not Giga relates as far as I know. They have a file on the root of the C drive called \"scope\" which \"scopes out\" all the movements, deletions or additions of gig and wave files for the database.

Hope this helps
    Dave

filespy.sys version 2.53.0.5 10/31/202 14:33:30
    Company NemeSys Music Technology
    Internal Name: FileSpy.sys
    Original Filename: FileSpy.Sys
    Productname: GigaStudio FileSpy
    ect ....
    disable file monitoring and you get rid of this troublemaker. filespy hooks into the system as a legacy device starting after boot if enabled. msg32.exe is an automatically started process running all the time, even if GS is never started.
    if msg32 stops you can bring GS *back to life* again doubleclicking \\win\\system32\\msg32.exe instead of restarting windows
    christian

Hi!
    How do you disable file monitoring in Win XP?

select settings, quicksound, uncheck monitor file activity, reboot
    hth, christian

christian,

Man.. you are a LIFE SAVER. I swear Giga\'s filespy is the main reason I\'ve been having problems with blue screens and crashes and my other antivirus apps being freaky.

Shows what I know. It must be the latest version of the scope program I was thinking of. Thanks for the info.
    You will probably want to occasionally refresh your database manually then.
    Take care
    Dave

Actually, the auto refreshing never even worked properly for me anyway. If I made a change to a .gig file (added a couple articulations), I had to rebuild anyway.. or maybe just \"refresh.\" But rebuilds were always necessary when adding new .gig files. I don\'t see what the purpose of the file monitor was.

When it works properly, the file monitor can be real cool. From some reason and for some people, it is buggy. When it works, all you have to do is open up GigaStudio and it knows where everything is. Performances are supposed to work, even if you move the instruments around or even change their names. Unfortunately, it doesn\'t seem to work as it is supposed to and you have to refresh or rebuild the database.
    Dave

Go Back to forum