• Register
  • Help

Topic: Sibelius 5 and the GPO libraries

Share/Bookmark

Sibelius 5 and the GPO libraries

I'm running Sib5 on Vista, and have the upgraded Kontakt2 version of GPO. While using sibelius4, I used GPO via Maple Midi with much success.

I'm trying to get Sibelius 5 to use my GPO sound library instead of the default "Sibelius Sounds Essentials". When I go to the midi device setup within sibelius and make the kontakt 2 player the active midi device (with the device type saying "Kontakt" not VST), and on the RHS of the screen it wants you to select a Soundset. It gives me a list of libraries that I assume were the ones auto installed with Sib5 because I don't own just about any of them . One listed there is GPO which is all well and good. It appears to be the full version of GPO as there are tons of instruments at my disposal when I go into the mixer and select instruments for my various voices. Is there a way to tell for sure? Since I already had GPO when I installed the Sib5 sound samples, and i don't know how "expansive" the Sib 5 built-in GPO samples are, how can I tell if I am using the built in Sibelius GPO or my full GPO library?

I'm also assuming that because the "device type" is Kontakt and not "VST", I am not using this as a VST plug-in but rather through the built in Kontakt2 player in Sib5. Is this a bad thing? Do I want the Kontakt player midi device to show up as a VST plug in or is what I have a good setup as is? Forgive me if this is a stupid question as I am very new to MIDI setups in general.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Scott

Re: Sibelius 5 and the GPO libraries

Quote Originally Posted by sbuck143
    I'm running Sib5 on Vista, and have the upgraded Kontakt2 version of GPO. While using sibelius4, I used GPO via Maple Midi with much success.

I'm trying to get Sibelius 5 to use my GPO sound library instead of the default "Sibelius Sounds Essentials". When I go to the midi device setup within sibelius and make the kontakt 2 player the active midi device (with the device type saying "Kontakt" not VST), and on the RHS of the screen it wants you to select a Soundset. It gives me a list of libraries that I assume were the ones auto installed with Sib5 because I don't own just about any of them . One listed there is GPO which is all well and good. It appears to be the full version of GPO as there are tons of instruments at my disposal when I go into the mixer and select instruments for my various voices. Is there a way to tell for sure? Since I already had GPO when I installed the Sib5 sound samples, and i don't know how "expansive" the Sib 5 built-in GPO samples are, how can I tell if I am using the built in Sibelius GPO or my full GPO library?

I'm also assuming that because the "device type" is Kontakt and not "VST", I am not using this as a VST plug-in but rather through the built in Kontakt2 player in Sib5. Is this a bad thing? Do I want the Kontakt player midi device to show up as a VST plug in or is what I have a good setup as is? Forgive me if this is a stupid question as I am very new to MIDI setups in general.

Thanks in advance for your help.

Scott
    Scott,

Sib 5 doesn't come with GPO: it's just set up to use it easily. Any sound you
    are getting using the GPO Soundset is GPO. You can check this by clicking on the dial icon in the Mixer - the Kontakt Player Window will open, showing all the loaded instruments; as the score plays, you will see the audio light up the various instruments. Try a score using GPO; then activate another instance of the Kontakt Player, and select the Sibelius Sounds - you will hear a difference (hint: GPO is better...). The only trick is to remember which Kontakt Player corresponds to which soundset - they will have numbers after them to help you keep track.

Hope this helps.
    Ron Pearl

ronaldmpearl.com

myspace:

http://myspace.com/rmpearl

Thanks Ron, that clears up a big part of this. I thought Sibelius Sounds stuff installed a subset of GPO samples. I swear I read that somewhere.

I have hit the dial button and watched the kontakt player audio levels light off. Woohoo!

Quote Originally Posted by sbuck143
    Thanks Ron, that clears up a big part of this. I thought Sibelius Sounds stuff installed a subset of GPO samples. I swear I read that somewhere.

I have hit the dial button and watched the kontakt player audio levels light off. Woohoo!
    They did. The whole essentials library is basically a "demo" of other libraries. When I say demo, I don't mean it will stop working after x amount of days, I just mean it's a bunch of snippets from other libraries, like GPO, JABB, CAMB, VDL, and instruments from there line of sounds like Kontakt GOld and Rock and Pop.
    You can tell if you open, for instance, a marching band score. If you open the kontakt player window with the essentials library loaded, a bunch of instruments will be from GPO, some from JABB, others from CAMB, and the percussion sounds will probably be VDL.

Go Back to forum