• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 21

Topic: Capuzzi Andante and Rondo

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Capuzzi Andante and Rondo

    Andante and Rondo for Tuba (the Andante)
    Performed by Benjamin Maisonet (me)


    http://www.box.net/shared/0db7ndxsf3
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

    My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

  2. #2

    Re: Capuzzi Andante and Rondo

    Hi

    I really like the peice. I find that the tuba sounds like it is in a different room however, a bit like the piano and tuba were recorded separately (which I guess they were)

    Maybe the early reflections are a little high on the reverb?

    Have you considered using Ambience as your reverb? The non Garritan version is available (free) from http://magnus.smartelectronix.com/

    Ambience is VERY configurable

  3. #3

    Re: Capuzzi Andante and Rondo

    i played the piano through my headphones and then played along on tuba. lol. i tried to get the tuba to have the same reverb as the GPO piano, but the program was too complicated. I appreciate your reccomendation ill look into it now.
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

    My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

  4. #4

    Re: Capuzzi Andante and Rondo

    Hi Benjamin, I have very little experience with Tuba music and so it was with great interest that I opened this delightful piece.

    I can sense your frustration with the reverb settings and I can agree with that aspect - there is methinks too much reverb on both the piano and the tuba.

    But let that not detract from teh beauty and sensitivity of this lovely piece, which I can only imagine requires a great deal of skill to achieve.

    I must say I was impressed - I had always thought the tuba a much more limited instrument than demonstrated here.

    So thank you for the edification and allowing me to enjoy your piece.

    Alan

  5. #5

    Re: Capuzzi Andante and Rondo

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanPerkins
    Hi Benjamin, I have very little experience with Tuba music and so it was with great interest that I opened this delightful piece.

    I can sense your frustration with the reverb settings and I can agree with that aspect - there is methinks too much reverb on both the piano and the tuba.

    But let that not detract from teh beauty and sensitivity of this lovely piece, which I can only imagine requires a great deal of skill to achieve.

    I must say I was impressed - I had always thought the tuba a much more limited instrument than demonstrated here.

    So thank you for the edification and allowing me to enjoy your piece.

    Alan
    Alan,
    Congrats on coming to the wise & mature decision about the capabilities of the tuba (and its smaller brother, the euphonium).
    For some time, I've been threatening to do a tutorial for Garritan library users on the tuba and euphonium, in the hope the users would react as you did.
    This has kicked me in the tail to finish those tutorials, so others can reach the same conclusion you did.

    Thanx...Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

  6. #6

    Re: Capuzzi Andante and Rondo

    Quote Originally Posted by tubajedimr
    i played the piano through my headphones and then played along on tuba. lol. i tried to get the tuba to have the same reverb as the GPO piano, but the program was too complicated. I appreciate your reccomendation ill look into it now.
    Nice recording stylistically...I do second the comments about the reverb.

    PS--I am a working euphonium player...studied with Harvey Phillips & still work with him on his projects...I'm on the board of his foundation as well.

    Always be a champion for the tuba & euphonium!!! Please keep us posted as the euphonium concerto evolves...I have my radar out for this one

    Jim
    Jim Williams
    Professor of Capitalism
    N9EJR
    Indianapolis Brass Choir
    All Your Bass Sus&Short Are Belong to Us.

  7. #7

    Re: Capuzzi Andante and Rondo

    http://www.box.net/shared/0db7ndxsf3

    Ok guys. Here it is. Redone with the Ambience suggestion. It does sound better I think, but I'd like to know what you think.
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

    My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

  8. #8

    Re: Capuzzi Andante and Rondo

    Quote Originally Posted by AlanPerkins
    Hi Benjamin, I have very little experience with Tuba music and so it was with great interest that I opened this delightful piece.

    I can sense your frustration with the reverb settings and I can agree with that aspect - there is methinks too much reverb on both the piano and the tuba.

    But let that not detract from teh beauty and sensitivity of this lovely piece, which I can only imagine requires a great deal of skill to achieve.

    I must say I was impressed - I had always thought the tuba a much more limited instrument than demonstrated here.

    So thank you for the edification and allowing me to enjoy your piece.

    Alan
    Always my duty to open the eyes of the unknown tuba abilities to anyone who needs it.

    http://www.box.net/shared/0db7ndxsf3
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

    My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

  9. #9

    Re: Capuzzi Andante and Rondo

    Hi, tubajedimr

    What a wonderful pairing, the delicate Piano and the heavy Tuba. It's a happy marriage, and I really enjoyed hearing your composition.

    I'm not clear on which version I've heard - You re-did the recording with Ambience, and it's uploaded to the same link as originally posted--?

    Whatever the case - what I heard was far too wet with reverb, to my ears. The Tuba's low frequencies are really getting exaggerated with all those reverb reflections. And the piano has that effect which always makes me sigh - the poor pianist is SO far away from me, since more reverb of course gives the illusion of distance.

    If you're now using Ambience, but this is true of any traditionally programmed reverb plugin - just use a percentage, and not an especially high percentage, of the reverb. You don't want to use the full default 100% wet setting of the reverb - That's what makes so many recordings we hear sound like they're being played at the bottom of the Grand Canyon.

    So - even though I'm not clear if I heard the new version, I'm saying that what I heard was definitely being marred by too much drenching with reverb. I hope you experiment more, and take as critical a listen to your results as you can--Just ask yourself if the recording sounds like live music, or if it sounds overly muddy and distant.

    Randy B.
    (rbowser)

  10. #10

    Re: Capuzzi Andante and Rondo

    Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, tubajedimr

    What a wonderful pairing, the delicate Piano and the heavy Tuba. It's a happy marriage, and I really enjoyed hearing your composition.

    I'm not clear on which version I've heard - You re-did the recording with Ambience, and it's uploaded to the same link as originally posted--?

    Whatever the case - what I heard was far too wet with reverb, to my ears. The Tuba's low frequencies are really getting exaggerated with all those reverb reflections. And the piano has that effect which always makes me sigh - the poor pianist is SO far away from me, since more reverb of course gives the illusion of distance.

    If you're now using Ambience, but this is true of any traditionally programmed reverb plugin - just use a percentage, and not an especially high percentage, of the reverb. You don't want to use the full default 100% wet setting of the reverb - That's what makes so many recordings we hear sound like they're being played at the bottom of the Grand Canyon.

    So - even though I'm not clear if I heard the new version, I'm saying that what I heard was definitely being marred by too much drenching with reverb. I hope you experiment more, and take as critical a listen to your results as you can--Just ask yourself if the recording sounds like live music, or if it sounds overly muddy and distant.

    Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Sorry Bowser, this isnt my composition. It is the work of Antonio Capuzzi. I used GPO steinway and my own playing. I used a computer mic to record while simultaneously playing the piano part through stereo mixer.
    Yours Truly,
    TubaJediMaster
    May the Fourth Be With You

    My demos:
    http://www.box.net/shared/ejtluyupfb

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •