• Register
  • Help

Topic: Possible to make Solo Strings = chamber strings w/ Keymap?

Share/Bookmark

Keymap: possible to make Solo Strings = chamber strings?

Hello everyone,

I was wondering if its possible to turn VSL solo strings for EXS into a chamber ensemble using Keymap. I would imagine its possible given keymaps amazing toolset, as you can pitch-shift (to create the same notes without phasing) detune, even change the vibrato rate, panning, etc. but I would like some feedback from users as to how practical this really is. Perhaps instead of creating actual chamber patches from solo strings, would it be better to simply use pitchbend information to create the ensemble?

Thanks in advance for your reply!

Re: Keymap: possible to make Solo Strings = chamber strings?

Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon
    Hello everyone,

I was wondering if its possible to turn VSL solo strings for EXS into a chamber ensemble using Keymap. I would imagine its possible given keymaps amazing toolset, as you can pitch-shift (to create the same notes without phasing) detune, even change the vibrato rate, panning, etc. but I would like some feedback from users as to how practical this really is. Perhaps instead of creating actual chamber patches from solo strings, would it be better to simply use pitchbend information to create the ensemble?

Thanks in advance for your reply!
    Jon, I am sure it is possible as you can map the different instruments to different key ranges and assign i.e. the mod wheel to play certain samples in the range where two instruments perhaps overlap but given the CPU efficiency of the EXS24 I am at a loss as to why one would ever want to do this. But perhaps I am not understanding what you wish to accomplish properly.

As i say if none of the string instruments ranges overlapped it would be slam dunk but they do and crossing voices is an integral part of i.e. string quartet writing.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Re: Possible to make Solo Strings = chamber strings w/ Keymap?

yeah, I didnt explain myself well. What I'm looking to do is to turn solo instruments into a chamber ensemble; e.g. take solo violin samples and turn them into a violin ensemble of 6 players, etc. I was thinking some very realistic results could be achieved using Keymaps toolset.

Re: Possible to make Solo Strings = chamber strings w/ Keymap?

Quote Originally Posted by JT3_Jon
    yeah, I didnt explain myself well. What I'm looking to do is to turn solo instruments into a chamber ensemble; e.g. take solo violin samples and turn them into a violin ensemble of 6 players, etc. I was thinking some very realistic results could be achieved using Keymaps toolset.
    Ah, I understand now.

That said, what makes an Ensemble interesting to me is that i.e. no two violinists and/or their instruments respond exactly the same so personally I would rather use solo instruments from different libraries to achieve that.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

Go Back to forum