• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Violin Concerto Second Movement

Violin Concerto Second Movement (and now Third mvmt)

Friends, here is another movement of the Violin Concerto I'm working on. I posted what I thought would be the middle movement a few weeks ago but following a suggestion from Ron Pearl, I've decided the earlier item should be the first movement. I've given it a bit more pace to better suite this role too.

So, this is the second movement and like the first, it needs further development (and tweaking). What I'm doing at this stage is setting the mood and I'll return to each movement later to improve composition.

A more lively movement is required to complete the concerto. Progress has been slow over the past few weeks due to my Dad being in hospital and me preparing for a career change. Perhaps some of this is reflected in this inner movement.

Any guidance re composition and rendering is always greatly appreciated.

Added 19th Aug: A sketch for the third movement has taken shape quicker than I expected (due to it raining all day yesterday!) and that is also posted on myspace. G

Re: Violin Concerto Second Movement

Just by coincidence I had just visited your myspace page and saw two movement from the concerto for violin; I have been a way, so I thought that perhaps I had missed the post of another movement - turns out to be great timing!

I listened to both, and I have to say, regardless of the order, these pieces are just beautiful. I know I keep saying things like how "English" they sound, but the way you use modality - along with an extended harmonic language - makes this music very memorable. And English sounding. The movements are rich, thematically, and the solo writing seems inviting ( a violinist should have more insight to give...). There are elements of a folk-style in the solo part, in places, and that is quite effective.

Yes, a quick movement to round it out would be the safe way to go, but just write what feels right - your intuition is giving you great results!

Beautiful, beautiful writing.

Thanks for sharing this.
    Ron Pearl

The music is truly beautiful. It is very tender and warm. I enjoyed it very much. If I can comment on one thing: the soloist seems to play at rather high velocities even though the music is quiet and legato. I don't hear that in any of the other orchestral instruments. Perhaps you can lower the velocities a little to make the attacks more tender too.

I enjoyed your music very much, thank you.
    Kind Regards

Louis Dekker
    My Music Site

Pour être grand, il faut avoir été petit.

Beautiful work, Graham!

The style is quite modern.

This is a terrific epic sweeping soundscape. I can easily envision this as an accompaniment for film.

My only critique would be in the area of reverb. At times the strings seem to compete with each other. I might suggest to divide the strings with EQ allowing them to fall in their own range/space.. or perhaps reduce the reverb during those conflicting sections.

Just a thought

..Very nice!!

It's beautiful music, totally engrossing in its arrangement. The recording is sounding wonderful, and I know you'll have fun doing the final edits - reducing some velocities here and there as has been suggested and whatever other finalizing tweaks occur to you as you go to that stage.

Thanks very much, Graham.

Randy B.

Truly beautiful, what a nice melody!

Graham, I enjoyed listening and the peace, which lets your music ring out so marvelously!

My Best

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Wilton, NH

Very nice. It is so gentle and yet somehow brooding – I think of wide open spaces under a low grey sky… Very lovely.
    Trent P. McDonald

This one is coming along nicely. You were asking for suggestions, which is great, because I love these listening room posts where we all get to chip in. So here's mine. Having set the mood -- which you do very well -- I could imagine the solist building up to some kind of emotional climax and then falling away again to the initial mood. But it's very nice, and I'm only a learner myself, so take my suggestions with a pinch of salt!
    Vista / Sonar Home Studio 6 / GPO 2d edition / Melodyne Uno 1.8

Ron: What a coincidence - you must have checked in to myspace just as I was uploading the file (and waiting for my pizza to arrive!) Thanks for listening in and your supportive interest in this little project. I hope to start sketching out a more upbeat finale today - and your comments about 'folk-style' has just provided me with a source of inspiration for this. So a special thanks for pointing that out.

Louis: Thanks for listening in. Your helpful comments about the velocity are of great interest to me so thanks for pointing this out. I'm working with Finale (only) and I have put a few tiny breaks between some of the soloist's notes to try to emulate the tiny gaps that might occur when changing notes. But I've overdone it so I need to revisit this.

Jeff: Thanks for your kind words and guidance. I'm currently applying Ambience and a small amount of EQ across the entire recording and, as you suggest, I could improve this by working at track level. I think upgrading to the new player will help here - and that's my next project.

Randy: Thanks for your encouragement. Perfecting and tweaking is the best part of the project - especially hearing the piece come alive. It's great fun pulling it all together and hearing other people's impressions along the way as this forum allows.

Gunther: Thank you my friend. I'm particularly pleased you enjoyed the melody as that is something I like to achieve with my compositions.

Trent: Thanks for listening in and commenting. The wide open spaces and low grey skies are very much a feature of Dartmoor where I live. And I draw inspiration from this!

Diligamus: Thanks for your helpful observations. I think you're absolutely right about the need for a climax. I was going to build this with the orchestra but it might be best to use the soloist as you suggest. I think I know where this needs to be placed in the piece - and really, I should have done this before posting. But it's great to get feedback first - and in this case, confirmation that this is what I need to do next. So thanks for your thoughts on this.

San Jose, Ca, USA

Beautiful and peaceful "Violin Concerto" composition!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast