• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: GS3 orch or GVI?

Share/Bookmark

GS3 orch or GVI?

Hi,
    I have been using GS3 Ensemble for a year or two, and use the system for backing in a live situation with "Texture" as a sequencer. I am considering upgrading to GS3 Orch but would like to know if there is a case for going to GVI instead.
    Also, can I use my current sample library in GVI?
    The main reason for the change is more polyphony and Gigapulse.... any suggestions or comment welcome.
    cheers
    Bryan "Kiwi"
    (have posted on LGS also, no reply yet)

Re: GS3 orch or GVI?

Quote Originally Posted by Bryan H
    Hi,
    I have been using GS3 Ensemble for a year or two, and use the system for backing in a live situation with "Texture" as a sequencer. I am considering upgrading to GS3 Orch but would like to know if there is a case for going to GVI instead.
    Also, can I use my current sample library in GVI?
    The main reason for the change is more polyphony and Gigapulse.... any suggestions or comment welcome.
    cheers
    Bryan "Kiwi"
    (have posted on LGS also, no reply yet)
    You've really answered your own question. GVI also uses a dongle, so in a live situation you misplace the dongle you won't be able to use it.

There is also what appears to be higher reported stability and compatibility w/GVI. This may not be a fair observation, as it seems to me that GS3 has become quite a bit more stable over the product's life so far. If you like ensemble and it works for you, maybe GS3 is the ticket. Also, don't forget (even though this may not matter to you) that GVI will be Mac compatible (Projected this fall), and that it's so far compatible with vista32 and winXP 64 (correct me if I'm wrong, anyone). Apparently it's able to load much more content as well. (2.5+ GB). The drawback is that you won't get much gigapulse flexibility: It only loads libs with embedded impulses, and (AFAIK), you can't load standard impulse sets or import impulses in .wave format like in GS3 Orch. This is probably the same capability as you have with ensemble, so if you're looking for more Gigapulse features, that's +1 for GS3.

Other than that, if money enters into your decision, you'll have to check out the difference in upgrade costs between GS3 and GVI.

Hope this helps,
    Belbin

Edit/P.S. Kitekrazy is right, though. Unless you work out an internal usb soultion....

i seem to recall that you can get lower latencies with GS3 than with GVI--was i dreamng?

Smile Re: GS3 orch or GVI?

Thank you all for your input.
    It seems the original choice appears best, and I will upgrade to GS3 Orchestra.
    It is my intention to use Gigapulse for live vocals also, and that would seem to eliminate GVI as pointed out by Belbin.
    Thanks again
    cheers
    Bryan

Bryan,

Just remembered that GS3 Orchestra owners can also upgrade (more like a crossgrade) to GVI for $75. If you get GS3 and like it, many of GVI's services will probably be redundant, but it'll be there as an inexpensive option down the road.

Congrats on taking the plunge! GS3 Orch. is an exciting beast.

-Belbin

Thank you all for your input.
    It is my intention to use Gigapulse for live vocals also, and that would seem to eliminate GVI as pointed out by Belbin.
    Thanks again
    cheers
    Bryan
    Bryan, seems I read another post within the last couple days that addressed that question. I believe the responder said something like routing your patch or whatever through an instrument that has GP imbedded. Any help here?
    Sonar6PE,GS3Orch,GVI,Reason3.0,Batt.3,StylusRMX w/Exp,Trilogy,B4ll,VGuitar2,TranslatorPro,CoolEditPr o2.1, K2500XL,2xIBMM51P4530HT/80GBSATA/3GBDDR/350watts,2xWD149GBFW,Delta1010,MidiTimepieceAV,2x1 604,20/20,on & on..........

Thanks for that Belbin, will keep that option open.
    Hi Rajay, can you remember what forum you were on, or the title of the post?
    Would really like to read it.
    cheers
    bryan

Thanks for that Belbin, will keep that option open.
    Hi Rajay, can you remember what forum you were on, or the title of the post?
    bryan
    Had to look a bit. It's Ted Vanya's post here on 06/02/07. I've been gone awhile and had some catching up to do so I had to go back aways. If I'm not mistaken, Belbin answered Ted's question about how to run a sample thru an embedded GP instance. Help me out Belbin. Did I get it wrong again? Hope this helps Bryan.
    Oh yeah, the post is titled, "Giga libs to GVI". Good luck.
    Sonar6PE,GS3Orch,GVI,Reason3.0,Batt.3,StylusRMX w/Exp,Trilogy,B4ll,VGuitar2,TranslatorPro,CoolEditPr o2.1, K2500XL,2xIBMM51P4530HT/80GBSATA/3GBDDR/350watts,2xWD149GBFW,Delta1010,MidiTimepieceAV,2x1 604,20/20,on & on..........

Right. You can run a .gig instrument through an embedded impulse, but you can't embed an impulse yourself without gigapulse pro (incl. w/GS3 orchestra). Thus, you're only available impulses will be the one you recieve as part of commercial libs for the format (and that's not many).
    Also, GVI will not let you route audio in, as it takes MIDI and dishes out audio only from it's loaded instruments. Therefore, you coldn't process live vocals as bryan has stated was his wish. One might Keep Gigapulse VST as an option for this sort of work. In fact:

It'd be worth consulting with TASCAM on wheter gigapulse VST contains the same tools for embedding impulses as gigapulse pro. That might mean you could get GVI for host-ability and higher voice count (it's performance is reportedly better, but still depends on your system and what you're asking of it), while using gigapulse VST to process live vocals and/or samples, with the added option of encoding gigapulse presets to load directly into GVI....

Too many possibilities In fact, looking into gigapulse VST open the floddgates and begs the question, "What about all the other VST convolution plugs out there...?".

I think I'm becoming more of a hinderance than a help here.

-Belbin

Go Back to forum