• Register
  • Help

Topic: Are the Vienna Instruments worth it?

Share/Bookmark

Are the Vienna Instruments worth it?

I'm sure this has been done, but I searched and couldn't find a direct discussion of how much advantage the VIs give over the old library.

I've had the Vienna Pro Edition for about 3 years now, but never actually used it. I get very limited time in the studio, and the learning curve of the performance tool, in combination with Gigateleport always seems too daunting, when I can just sit down with GPO and write music. Naturally I'm starting to feel like VSL was a silly purchase.

But I've just got myself back into the black, and rearranged finances so that I'll have a little bit of cash spare each month, and I could feasibly save for the VIs. More importantly, my wife is on board. If I use my user's discount to go for the extended editions, then I will feel less stupid about the money I spent on VSL - more like it was an investment - as long as I'm going to use the VIs. Otherwise it' just good money after bad.

So are there any users, who've used both, who could briefly say just how much easier the VIs are in practise?

Re: Are the Vienna Instruments worth it?

I have Opus1 and currently got myself the Apassionata strings.
    I could never wrap my head around the perfomance tool but i find the matrix/cell system in the VSL instruments rather easy to use and the sound of the Apassionatas is a lot better then the Opus strings for my music.

I still use a couple of the Opus sounds in Kontakt but since my main use for orchestra stuff is strings i am very happy with the Apassionatas!

Hans

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    I'm sure this has been done, but I searched and couldn't find a direct discussion of how much advantage the VIs give over the old library.

I've had the Vienna Pro Edition for about 3 years now, but never actually used it. I get very limited time in the studio, and the learning curve of the performance tool, in combination with Gigateleport always seems too daunting, when I can just sit down with GPO and write music. Naturally I'm starting to feel like VSL was a silly purchase.

But I've just got myself back into the black, and rearranged finances so that I'll have a little bit of cash spare each month, and I could feasibly save for the VIs. More importantly, my wife is on board. If I use my user's discount to go for the extended editions, then I will feel less stupid about the money I spent on VSL - more like it was an investment - as long as I'm going to use the VIs. Otherwise it' just good money after bad.

So are there any users, who've used both, who could briefly say just how much easier the VIs are in practise?
    Hi. I have both Pro. Ed. and the VI. What makes it difficult to answer is that I actually used the Pro. Ed extenssively and loved it. So it's hard to say if it's worth it for you - do you even like the sound of VSL? If yes, then that's a start. Personally - if I was content with using GPO I dont think I would bother throwing money after VSL.

But let me tell you what I appreciate about the VI:

1) I can load far more samples than I can with GS3 - About twice as many! So when I upgraded it almost felt like I got 3 extra computers

2) One midi track per instrument. I like that!

3) You can tweak and set up your own personal programs (matrixes). In the past I always use dthe keyswitch instruments in Giga, but I always got bothered when an instrument I used dident have such patches, or if they were missing a specific articulation. That's over now! I can create my own!

To be honest - once set well I did not feel a huge difference. This is mainly because I had my slave computers set up so when I started them they loaded all the right programs and instruments. I'm doing the same with the VI now, so I never worry about loading stuff.

This means that with both the VI and Pro. Ed. you need to do a lot of work to make a load and play template. This also means that if your not the kind of guy who enjoys setting up his template and studio, then I'm not sure the VI will change that. Sure it has some standard presets, but I think most people make their own. So if you in the past dident want to bother setting up your Pro. Ed (?!?!? you must have been rich ) then you may run into the same problem with the VI (although it's easier - no performance tool).

Thanks to both of you. Marcussen, I really wish I was rich. The Pro Edition was always just a 'pie-in-the-sky' dream for me, but one that I talked incessantly about to my wife. I used to excitedly play her the demos and talk her through all the things that my Siedlaczek library couldn't do.

Then, one day while I was at work, my wife pulled down an email about the student sale (I was doing an Masters at the time. I think the reduction may have been as much as 50%) and desperately wanted to make me happy, so she phoned me and told me to order it. It meant going into debt, but I could never have dreamt of buying it without the reduction, so I jumped at it.

I don't really have a problem with setting up (although it's very convoluted on my current system, since Gigateleport needs routing to the performance tool for some instruments, and straight to GS fo others - the whole VST thing is already going to save me an amazing amount of work). I think the biggest advantage of the instruments for me would be if the 'interpretative' engine takes much work out of the programming. How well do you find that works?

Thanks to both of you. Marcussen, I really wish I was rich. The Pro Edition was always just a 'pie-in-the-sky' dream for me, but one that I talked incessantly about to my wife. I used to excitedly play her the demos and talk her through all the things that my Siedlaczek library couldn't do.

Then, one day while I was at work, my wife pulled down an email about the student sale (I was doing an Masters at the time. I think the reduction may have been as much as 50%) and desperately wanted to make me happy, so she phoned me and told me to order it. It meant going into debt, but I could never have dreamt of buying it without the reduction, so I jumped at it.

I don't really have a problem with setting up (although it's very convoluted on my current system, since Gigateleport needs routing to the performance tool for some instruments, and straight to GS fo others - the whole VST thing is already going to save me an amazing amount of work). I think the biggest advantage of the instruments for me would be if the 'interpretative' engine takes much work out of the programming. How well do you find that works?
    Honestly I think, and have said to VSL, that they overhyped the intelligence of the VI a bit too much. It's still good and useful though, and things can be set up to to an extent to adapt to your playing:

At one point I set up my solo cello so really soft playing would do portamento. Regular velocity playing would be legato and when I played hard it would switch to a staccato note. Works quite well!

The most common interpretations the VI will do is switch between fast and slow legato. This also works quite well.

Back to the sound... Do you like the sound of VSL, or does GPO sound just as nice (or almost) to you?. Because as I said - if that's the case then I wouldn't bother upgrading. It's a lot of money if your not blown away by the quality.

In short I think you will find that the VI is easier to set up than your old system (and fun to make your own patches), however it all comes down to the sound - and if you like it

Oh - another cool trick is how easy it is to form new articulations. Like adding a harsh attack to a sustain, or making a patch that allows you to crossfade from vibrato to non-vibrato etc. It's just drag and drop.

Thanks again. I love the sound of VSL. There are parts of GPO that I love too - the solo clarinet is just fantastic - but across the whole orchestra I have to say that I much prefer VSL. I find it a lot more inspiring when I sit and improvise stuff.

Having said that, I think, for me, there's a trade off between the realism of the samples themselves, and the realism of what they'll do. For instance, I find the sound of the VSL violin samples rather 'better' than those of the Strad, but the realism of the way the Strad plays makes it my choice every time. Which means I probably ought to wait for GPOA. But there's no telling how long that may be. And if I can make my VSL investment more useable now, then I'm quite tempted.

From what you've said so far I'm pretty sold. I didn't realise that you could set up the 'intelligence' part of the VI yourself, or the bit about being able to make new articulations. I think I may well go for the strings I and II this month, which I should be able to run on my current set-up. Then I'll save for a couple more machines and add the other instruments later.

Hey Pingu,

Marcussen has already pointed out many of the advantages the VI has over the Gigastudio version. In my opinion, the difference is vast. Being able to load almost 2.7 GB of samples on a slave machine with 3 GB of RAM blew me away a few days ago (it took some /3GB switch fiddling and a lot of advice from some really smart people).

I few techniques I regularly employ with the VI that would be rather clunky and difficult with the Gigasamples: 1) I build many of my instruments with doubled samples. For example, I pair every solo flute sample with the equivalent ensemble flute sample, so that I can easily crossfade from one player to three players using the mod wheel. Another great example is with strings. I pair Chamber Strings (small ensemble) with Ensemble strings (larger), which often sounds very nice blended 50/50. I much prefer having these instruments loaded on ONE track together so that I don't have to mess with tons and tons of tracks.

I'm slowly phasing my Gigastudio machine out. It still has a few indispensible instruments, but I'll eventually transfer them to K2. I'm so glad to be nearly done with that quirky, clunky, finnicky program!

Hope this helps, good luck making your decision,

Alex

Thanks again. I love the sound of VSL. There are parts of GPO that I love too - the solo clarinet is just fantastic - but across the whole orchestra I have to say that I much prefer VSL. I find it a lot more inspiring when I sit and improvise stuff.

Having said that, I think, for me, there's a trade off between the realism of the samples themselves, and the realism of what they'll do. For instance, I find the sound of the VSL violin samples rather 'better' than those of the Strad, but the realism of the way the Strad plays makes it my choice every time. Which means I probably ought to wait for GPOA. But there's no telling how long that may be. And if I can make my VSL investment more useable now, then I'm quite tempted.

From what you've said so far I'm pretty sold. I didn't realise that you could set up the 'intelligence' part of the VI yourself, or the bit about being able to make new articulations. I think I may well go for the strings I and II this month, which I should be able to run on my current set-up. Then I'll save for a couple more machines and add the other instruments later.
    Alright, then your gonna love the VI. One of the great thing is how customizable it is. There still are a few features I would love VSL to look at*, but it's still very powerful as is.

* As it is now you have to select globally for a matrix if its to be velocity controlled or modwheel controlled. It would be great to be able to tell the VI that short notes should be velocity sensitive while long notes should be controlled by the modwheel.

Go Back to forum