• Register
  • Help

Topic: JABB Horn Section Patch Demo

Share/Bookmark

JABB Horn Section Patch Demo

This post is a demo of a horn setcion patch I made awile back. The Patch includes the lite versions of the JABB Alto, Tenor & Bari sax - Open trumpet, Open Trombone, Harmon mute trumpet & Trombone and allows different ensembles to be built, This patch is not meant as a replacement for ensemble building but could come in handy for quick sketches or trying out voicings. The demo includes three instances of the patch one with reeds, trumpets & trombones. I take no credit or blame for the music - it is a straight rendering of a Band in the Box demo for their Basie Style.
    I'm posting this for comments / opinions on the horn sections to determine if this and possibly other section patches are worth pursuing - I'm a little to close to it.

Horn Section Demo

Mike

Re: JABB Horn Section Patch Demo

Hello, Mike

This sounds fine, but let me make sure I'm understanding what you're doing. - You're basically creating more Multis to put in your JABB folder so you can call them up for quick set ups, is that right?

I've never used any of the Multis in either GPO or JABB, always needing to assemble specific ensemble needs on a per-project basis, but I can see how they could come in handy when writing for standard combos. And you find using the Lite instruments is good for low CPU usage while you work on a piece, but then you replace those with the better sounding full instruments, right?

And what did you mean when you said "...The demo includes three instances of the patch one with reeds, trumpets & trombones..."

Three? - I'm sorry, I'm not following.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-

And what did you mean when you said "...The demo includes three instances of the patch one with reeds, trumpets & trombones..."

Three? - I'm sorry, I'm not following.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Randy,

These are individual patches not multies - a single instrument contains the sustain & legato samples for the three sax's & 4 brass. The patch (script attached to the instrument) lets you define different ensembles amongst the 7 sample sets included in the instrument and the instrument can sound multiple notes at once. similiar to a string section patch.

The demo has the brass on a single midi channel with two section patches (instruments ) playing it. The reeds are a seperate midi channel that the third section patch (instrument) plays

Hope this is clearer

Mike

Hey, Mike

Thanks for explaining. -- Get this. I've never done Any of what you're talking about--So, actually, I still don't get it!

Oh well! - I've understood that people do something with the text files of instruments, but I've never quite understood what they're doing, and I haven't heard (that I'm aware of) clear examples of how what they're doing is an improvement--or, --? - I just load up the instruments as they are, and start playing!

Simple Randy
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    I just load up the instruments as they are, and start playing!

Simple Randy
    (rbowser)
    Randy,

That's exactly what you would do with a horn section instrument, except instead of playing a single line it will play chords -Why didn't I just say this the first time?

Mike

Mike, this sounds good. I think it is a good idea to use for quick sketches.
    -Jay

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01
    Mike, this sounds good. I think it is a good idea to use for quick sketches.
    -Jay
    Jay

Thanks for the feedback

Mike

Can't say I follow what you're doing with the patchwork, Mike;
    but it indeed is a pretty decent sound, overall! Panning seems
    a bit wide in places -- if that's even relevant to what you're
    doing.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com

Quote Originally Posted by etLux
    Can't say I follow what you're doing with the patchwork, Mike;
    but it indeed is a pretty decent sound, overall! Panning seems
    a bit wide in places -- if that's even relevant to what you're
    doing.

Best,

David
    www.DavidSosnowski.com
    Thanks for you're comments

I guess I did a poor job of explaining what I'm trying to do. what I'm calling a section patch is a new JABB instrument that can be selected into the K2 player like an alto sax for instance. This single instrument contains the samples from the lite Alto, Tenor & Bari sax's and the open & harmon mute Trumpet & Trombone. This instrument responds to a single midi channel but unlike say an alto sax it will play chords. This instrument provides controls to create any combination of the included samples to play. This is not meant to replace ensemble building using the individual instruments on seperate channels but if the sound is good enough would be usefull for scetching out horn parts or trying out voicings on a single staff outputting to a single midi channel.

The demo has 3 instances of this instrument responding to 2 midi channels

One instance of the instrument only has the open trumpet playing 1 only trombone - both of these instruments responding to a single midi channel that contains the brass part. Another instance is set to only play the sax samples responding to the midi channel containg the reeds part.

Does this help clarify or further confuse? At any rate David your comments were what I was looking for

Thanks again

Mike

Go Back to forum