• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: "Crypt" question

Share/Bookmark

"Crypt" question

Is this avant-garde library meant to supplement a traditional libray? If I were to use it to write a piece for string quartet & prepared piano, would I require something like VSL's solo strings to handle the more traditional techniques & Crypt for all the extended techniques? The reason I ask is because VSL is having a huge sale on non-V.I. instruments.

Re: "Crypt" question

Can you please, specify which "crypt" library you are talking about? I've never heard of such a name and google is not being helpful, no matter how kindly I ask.

I've never heard of this library, but I'm interested in checking it out. Do you have a link??

Thanks,

Alex

Quote Originally Posted by kip
    Is this avant-garde library meant to supplement a traditional libray? If I were to use it to write a piece for string quartet & prepared piano, would I require something like VSL's solo strings to handle the more traditional techniques & Crypt for all the extended techniques? The reason I ask is because VSL is having a huge sale on non-V.I. instruments.
    Unless the concept has changed significantly over the past year then you can safely buy VSL without overlap.

Although I don't think "crypt" is a VSL library. Couldn't find much sign of it by googling it.

-A

I believe "Crypt" is a project-in-progress from Bela D.

Also, I believe the VSL Horizon solo strings (the ones that were on sale) have already been discontinued and are no longer available.
    Dan Powers
    www.danielpowers.info

"It's easier to be a composer than it is to compose."
    --Ray Luke (1928-2010)

"Unless the concept has changed significantly over the past year then you can safely buy VSL without overlap."

Thanks for your response.

What I'm after is to have, for now, a small chamber orch made up of solo instruments with the hope that I can write post-modern music with.

So just to be clear: if I were to buy Horizon solo strings and supplemented it with solo string articulations from the Crypt, I would be better off then buying V.I. solo strings std. & ext. library. The question now is whether Crypt will consider articulations like sul ponticello & sul tasto as part of their set up. I mention this only because so many developers do not include them like VSL, Hunter etc...

P.S. I guess Bela d Media will use N.I. as their sample engine for Crypt?

It's probably going to be difficult (or maybe even impossible) to match them. Sometimes it's even hard to match articulations from within the same library! (Especially considering that it's a solo instrument library).

You might want to get in touch with the folks at Bela D to see if they know the VSL Solo Strings library well enough to say if it will blend with their own.

Where can I find info on "Crypt?" I scoured the Bela D site, didn't find anything.

If you're going for a chamber sound, you might want to consider VSL's Chamber Strings. Although I think you'll be hard pressed to find any serious extended technique. (you can check out the articulation list on the VSL site)

-Alex

Quote Originally Posted by danpowers
    I believe "Crypt" is a project-in-progress from Bela D.

Also, I believe the VSL Horizon solo strings (the ones that were on sale) have already been discontinued and are no longer available.
    They are still available in some places in Europe.

kip:

PLEASE read the posts! Many people are asking for further info on "crypt", and nothing is to be found. Yes, I could just ask Frank, but in all, try to be more precise to what you ask.

Sul pont, and especially sul tasto are not really contemporary techniques. If you want contemporary techniques, I would suggest searching over at xsamples ( http://www.xsample.de/html/solo_strings.html ). 4.08 GB for solo strings. That seems... enough...

Go Back to forum