• Register
  • Help

Topic: Music XML import broken in 2.0?

Share/Bookmark

Music XML import broken in 2.0?

I have contacted tech support which seems non existent on weekends though very pleasant during weekdays. Export from Sibelius 5 using Music xml 3.4 results in Notion unable to recognize the xml file. I must be honest and admit that my main interest in Notion is the conducting feature, I do all notation work in Sibelius.
    David.
    Last edited by davidoro; 08-18-2007 at 10:09 PM. Reason: typo

Re: Music XML import broken in 2.0?

Worked from Finale 2008 (export)> import into Notion.
    some things like repeats did not come through but no errors.
    Visa versa from Notion to Finale 08 worked so much better than before.
    Tempos are still the elusive translation however I've gotten used to duplicating the N-Tempo track to a clave with into measures and midi mapping inside of Pro Tools for accurate grids and production.

G5 dual 2.7 PPC
    OS 10.4.10
    Notion 2.1
    Finale 2008 (M-XML versions???)

PS M-XML in Sibelius, is this built in or an add-on?

PS2 (Post Quirk)
    What I did find was that when imported then saved-as, Notion had the m-xml version still up. i.e. The saved-as seemed to quite when I was naming it. I closed the M-XML version (no save warning) then went to recent and opened the seemingly crashed Notion file and all was fine.

Thanks for your response. Music xml export is a third party add-on in Sibelius, ie it's not built in. I tried exporting both from Sib 5 and Sib 4 and it won't open. For the record NONE of my xml files from Sibelius will now open in Notion, even ones that opened in the previous version of Notion.
    David.

In case anyone else is affected by this ie anyone else exporting xml from Sibelius, there is in fact an issue that will be fixed in the next update according to Libby in Tech. support.
    Thanks,
    David.

Hi. Thanks for the update.
    Curious. How does a standard midi file do from Sibelius?
    (I'm not too tech'ed on the complete data-difference.)

Possibly a preference file or font cache that could be tossed?
    (Check for duplicate or corrupt fonts)

BTW:
    I've had some odd system behavior from old font caches. Not this scenario but a thought for you.

I have steered clear of midi files for sometime. I was never very adept at tidying them up the way others seem to be. xml import into Sibelius has been quite successful and i was looking forward to the new improvements in Notion. There is a core problem that is beyond my limited techo capabilities so I'll paste in what Libby sent me:
    This is the report,
    The xml file you sent us is in UTF-16 encoding, which is the default for files exported from Sibelius. Although we handle UTF-16, I have found out that we only handle big endian, not little endian. This issue will be fixed and implemented in the next update.
    Many thanks,
    David.

Quote Originally Posted by davidoro
    I have contacted tech support which seems non existent on weekends though very pleasant during weekdays.
    Our tech support hours are 9am to 7pm Eastern, Monday through Friday. Just a heads up.

Quote Originally Posted by Jason Windsor
    Our tech support hours are 9am to 7pm Eastern, Monday through Friday. Just a heads up.
    Thanks for this Jason, but I must admit, I think that is odd. It should be available 7 days even at least by email on the days when closed. All the more when you consider that the bug I uncovered by trying to open an xml file generated by Sibelius made it past both your own in house testing and beta testing, assuming you have those tiers of product testing. I'm a professional music but most amateur musicians would probably do most of their work on computer music programs at weekends when no tech support is available.

In closing, I want to emphasize again how friendly and dedicated the help has been when I reported any difficulties I was having.
    David.

Go Back to forum