• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Gabrieli - Jubilati Deo, Omni Terra

Share/Bookmark

Gabrieli - Jubilati Deo, Omni Terra

Giovanni "big-screen" Gabrieli knew how to make the halls of San Marco resound with the splendid sounds of brass and organ. A student of his type-setter uncle, Andrea, and Orlando Lasso, Gabrieli was the first to use carefully determined groups of instruments and singers, with precise directions for instruments and divided into more than two groups. With acoustics in the church, changing little in four hundred years, the instruments, correctly positioned, could be heard with perfect clarity, even at distant points.

His "Jubilati Deo, Omni Terra" is no exception and in fact one of the finest examples of his developed art. It features no less that 11 instruments including; 2 trumpets, seven trombones (alto, tenor and bass), tuba and pipe organ. All combined to produce a magnificent texture of tonal color and a never ending cascade of blended musical themes. The work consists of an opening Sinfonia and repeating, alternating "vocci e stromenti" and "voce senza stromenti" sections, each variations on the sinfonia and preceeding themes.

My rendering of this work was performed entirely using Finale 2006, 34-pages of 12 stave entry, and the instruments of the GPO and JABB libraries as follows;

Cor. 1 e Cant. - Tprt 1 Plr 1
    Cor. 2 e Cant. - Tprt 1 Plr 2
    Tromb. 1 e Alt. - Tenor Tbone Solo
    Tromb. 2 e Quint. - Tenor Tbone Plr 1
    Tromb. 3 e Ten. - Tenor Tbone Plr 2
    Tromb. 4 e Oct. - Tenor Tbone Plr 3
    Tromb. 5 e Non. - Tbone 1 Open (JABB)
    Tromb. 6 e Dec. - Bass Tbone Open (JABB)
    Tromb. 7 e Sext. - Bass Tbone Open (JABB)
    Fag. e Bass - Tuba 1 Solo
    Organ - Haupt Mix X 2 staff lines of two voices (four total)

The spacial placement is as follows;

TTrb4 TTrb3 TTrb2 TTrb1 Tpt1 Tpt2 Organ TTrb4 BTrb1 Btrb2 Tuba

The organ is located in the center with each instrument L/R equally spaced around it.

www.garybricault.com/mp3/GabrieliJubilatiDeo.mp3

Here is a second version that I am including at the request of another listener. It has an echo "hang time" of around 3 seconds. I replaced the organ with five brass players; 2 Trpts, 1 FH, 1 Trb and 1 Tuba.

http://www.box.net/shared/fvdb8d30r7

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Re: Gabrieli - Jubilati Deo, Omni Terra

I think this sounds great. 34 pages of 12 staves in finale, now that is a lot of work. I would be blurry eyed after that much entry. It was well worth the effort. A nice musical selection. Thanks for posting this Gary.
    -jay

Hi, Gary

This sounds simply wonderful! I was completely immersed and right There in the venue for this magnificent performance.

And what more appropriate music could I listen to this Sunday morning? That's an added bonus.

Great work, Gary. Thanks for the concert.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Quote Originally Posted by jaynkate01
    I think this sounds great. 34 pages of 12 staves in finale, now that is a lot of work. I would be blurry eyed after that much entry. It was well worth the effort. A nice musical selection. Thanks for posting this Gary.
    -jay
    jay,

I am glad that you enjoyed it. Yes 34-pages is a lot but it went fairly quickly (thankfully!!). The outcome is stunning I think. It was a little tricky working through balancing the voices for the best effect.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by rbowser-
    Hi, Gary

This sounds simply wonderful! I was completely immersed and right There in the venue for this magnificent performance.

And what more appropriate music could I listen to this Sunday morning? That's an added bonus.

Great work, Gary. Thanks for the concert.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)
    Hi Randy,

I am pleased that you enjoyed it. The title says it all about the music. One would be hard pressed to find a work that can produce the breadth and depth of sound as this one does. It is truely his hallmark work.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

sorry I haven't gotten around to listening to this before..

I've always loved Gabrielli's music.

This was lots of fun, and the antiphonal effects are too cool.

I think I might have preferred it with a bit more reverb for that "humongous decadent renaissance cathedral" effect. Have you tried one of the "church" settings in Ambience Reverb?

Out of curiosity, what would this sound like without the organ? Me has a huge weak spot for brass music. Does the organ end up having a lot of "unique" material not doubled in the brass?

Great wonderful Gary!

Greetings from Germany.

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by qccowboy
    sorry I haven't gotten around to listening to this before..

I've always loved Gabrielli's music.

This was lots of fun, and the antiphonal effects are too cool.
    Thanks. It was lot of fun to produce.

I think I might have preferred it with a bit more reverb for that "humongous decadent renaissance cathedral" effect. Have you tried one of the "church" settings in Ambience Reverb?
    As far as I can tell there are no presets on this version of the Garritan Ambience that came with the GPO bundled with Finale.

Out of curiosity, what would this sound like without the organ? Me has a huge weak spot for brass music. Does the organ end up having a lot of "unique" material not doubled in the brass?
    To satisfy your curiousity here is a second version of the original posting. It has an echo "hang time" of around 3 seconds and I muted the organ voice. The organ itself does not add a lot of new material to the 10 brass voices.

http://www.box.net/shared/xti1vei1yo

Enjoy!

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist
    Great wonderful Gary!

Greetings from Germany.

Gunther
    Thanks Gunther. I am glad that you enjoyed it.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

oh my, oh my, oh my!!!
    Gary, that senza organum version with the added delay is DIVINE!!!!

It sounds like it's one of those huge medieval cathedrals!!!

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast