• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Data Recovery

Share/Bookmark

Data Recovery

Has any ony here had to resrt to data recovery? I seem to have lost a drive last night that, unfortunately, was not recently backed up. It seems that prices differ and that even Best Buy does it through a third party. (They wanted $300 to look at it and then upwards of $1400 depending on how detailed the recovery would be) Any success stories on recovering a drive would be greatly appreciated.

All the very best,

Darren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com
    "Every time you play a wrong note God kills a kitten."

Re: Data Recovery

I would try Disk Warrior before resorting to data recovery. I once lost a drive after two days of live recording, and Disk Warrior recovered it all. I don't know if there is a P.C. equivalent.

If the drive still spins up and is still detected by the computer on initial bootup (i.e. if it's failing but not totally dead), you will likely be able to use Ontrack Data Recovery software to recover the data yourself.

If you can't get the hard drive to detect and spin up, you will need to send it off to a data recovery shop.

The computer cannot see the drive. I've used software recovery before and have had success. This, however, is a different animal...

Daaren
    www.darrenpasdernick.com

Possibly try a live Linux CD like Kanotix or Ubuntu and see if one of them can see it.
    If they did, then you could just copy your data over to an other drive in Linux and reformat the questionable drive after you boot back to windows.

I've had a drive die on me. (not fun)

Tried to recover it myself using an off the shelf software program,( happened a few years ago, can't remember which program) ...but no luck.

Brought it to a Data recovery place. I was told it was too far gone to retrieve... the technician said it was probably due to my attempt of initially using a recovery software.

If a drive dies the best thing to do is stop running it immediately.

In my case it was a free analysis to see if it was retrievable... $500.00 to retrieve.

$1400 seems a bit steep...I would shop around to various places... you may even search out of state for a better price and ship it there.

Sorry, not much help...

`jeff

Quote Originally Posted by jsp2
    I've had a drive die on me. (not fun)

Tried to recover it myself using an off the shelf software program,( happened a few years ago, can't remember which program) ...but no luck.

Brought it to a Data recovery place. I was told it was too far gone to retrieve... the technician said it was probably due to my attempt of initially using a recovery software.

If a drive dies the best thing to do is stop running it immediately.

In my case it was a free analysis to see if it was retrievable... $500.00 to retrieve.

$1400 seems a bit steep...I would shop around to various places... you may even search out of state for a better price and ship it there.

Sorry, not much help...

`jeff

I think the way the recovery places work is "Free Analysis" then "We can retrieve your data" then "pay up" I guess it all depends upon how badly you need the stuff. I had backed up a while ago but then went through a huge recording phase. I am afraid I have lost a lot of vocal and guitar tracks as well as one or two songs. Usually after I record something I'll dump it to audio CD to play in my car to start writing lyrics and melodies. Thankfully I have a lot of my songs in this format. Now, however, is the attempt to reconstruct all of them trying to remember which patches I used and which notes I played.

If I new it would be $500 I'd do it in a heartbeat but 1500 to 2000 bucks can buy alot of new VST's!

Back up often,

Darren

PS JEff if you have the name of the $500 recovery place I would appreciate it.
    www.darrenpasdernick.com

Sorry, Darren

I can't recall the name of the company, It was a local business, about 5 years ago while I was living in Vancouver/ Canada.

~Jeff

Speaking of backing up, making it easier to do might make it a task more often performed.
    I use .bat files and all of my back up is a 1 click operation.

Since I started using these, I back up after EVERY work session, because it's so easy. Just 1 click and it's done.

Essentially what it does is that it copies any changed or new files from point
    "A" to point "B" (you personally define the locations) and doesn't bother with anything that hasn't been changed.

All you need is an other physical drive, a network machine or even an other virtual drive, and a .bat file similar to the one below.
    External drives are also just as valid. All you need is a drive letter.

You'd ( of course ) need to tweak the paths drive letters and machine names to suite yor environment.

If anyone has any problems understanding this please ask and I'll help you tweak it for your own personal use based on your file paths.

This is also doable on a MAC as far (as I've ~heard~) but I don't know the correct syntax for MAC or file type to save as. Possibly someone else will help with that platform.

------------------------------
    xcopy /s /D /Y C:\progra~1\noteta~1\favori~1\*.* J:\backup\c_drive\sonar\noteta~1\favori~1\
    xcopy /s /D /Y C:\PROGRA~1\ECHODI~1\Console3\gina24~1\*.* J:\backup\c_drive\echo\sonar\
    xcopy /s /D /Y E:\a64_mix\*.* J:\backup\a64_mix\
    xcopy /s /D /Y E:\a64_mix\miscmix\*.* J:\backup\a64_mix\miscmix\
    xcopy /s /D /Y E:\sk_film\*.* J:\backup\sk_film\
    xcopy /s /D /Y E:\skgmu\*.* J:\backup\skgmu\
    xcopy /s /D /Y i:\forte\*.* J:\backup\k_drive\forte\
    xcopy /s /D /Y E:\demo_r~1\*.* J:\backup\demo_r~1
    xcopy /s /D /Y \\nf7s\E\sibeli~1\*.* \\nf7s\J\backup\sibeli~1\
    pause
    ------------------------------

It has happened to me. Spinrite for $80 will do it for PC. If not, go with Ontrack. Send in the drive to them. It is between $100 and $200 for them to diagnose and then the bigger bucks to recover. I have done both. Good luck.

Go Back to forum