• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast
Results 1 to 10 of 41

Topic: Video Editing Software

Share/Bookmark
  1. #1

    Video Editing Software

    I am in the process of converting 15 years of family VHS tapes to DVD. My goal is to get them into my computer then edit them so that voice over tracks, music tracks (GPO original music), and graphics can be edited.

    Can anybody suggest a decent video editing software package that does not have a huge learning curve.

    Thanks

  2. #2

    Re: Video Editing Software

    Quote Originally Posted by Thomas J
    I am in the process of converting 15 years of family VHS tapes to DVD. My goal is to get them into my computer then edit them so that voice over tracks, music tracks (GPO original music), and graphics can be edited.

    Can anybody suggest a decent video editing software package that does not have a huge learning curve.

    Thanks
    i-movie works and it's included in all versions of mac OSX 10.3 and up.

  3. #3

    Re: Video Editing Software

    Premiere Elements from Adobe - Solid, intuitive, EAsy but not dumbly limited, and is built to interact seamlessly with any version of Photo Shop you may have, which of course is The program for creating titles and graphics.

    Randy B.
    (rbowser)

  4. #4

    Re: Video Editing Software

    Sony's Vegas Movie Studio + DVD Architect (not the full Vegas version) is a great package. I have used it for short films, presentations, and just re-formatting. It's relatively inexpensive and thorough.

  5. #5

    Re: Video Editing Software

    I have to agree with Randy on this: PE 3.0.2 is the newest version of Premiere Elements, and is by far the most stable video editor I've ever used. It's somewhat more stable than Vegas, and much more stable than Pinnacle Studio. It also integrates a very good DVD Menu Editor, and supports most every video format used today, including HDVideo. As Randy said, you can create highly-customized templates, specialized titles, and graphics for PE with any version of Photoshop. (You can find Premiere Elements and Photoshop Elements bundled for around $149)

    It's also inexpensive: $99, or $64.95 if you can purchase from Academic Superstore. There's also a $30 mail-in rebate if you choose to use it. Unless you plan to do professional video work, PE is a great option. I believe the only major features different from Adobe Premiere are what royalty-free media is included, and full surround-sound audio support.

    Finally, for your VHS capture, you might consider this: http://www.amazon.com/ADS-Tech-API-5.../dp/B0007KI7SU
    This external IEEE1394 capture card captures in DV-AVI, and is bundled with Premiere Elements. I've not personally used it, but this is what everybody on the Adobe Forum recommends.

    My apologies if I sound like a salesman, but I've just had PE3 for a couple of months, and I've been extremely pleased.
    Best of luck,
    David Guinness

    Dell P4 2.66GHz, 2GB RAM, Windows XP Pro SP2, Finale 2007c, GPO and JABB with KP2
    HP AMD 2.3Ghz Dual, 3GB RAM, Vista Home Premium, Finale 2008, GPO, JABB, Gofriller Solo Cello with KP2

  6. #6

    Re: Video Editing Software

    Quote Originally Posted by RickD
    i-movie works and it's included in all versions of mac OSX 10.3 and up.
    Use iMovie '06, not iMovie '08. Apparently, iMovie '08 has less functionality than iMovie '06.

    Windows - Adobe Production Premium (Arm, Leg, and First Born)
    Mac - Final Cut Studio ($1,299)
    Linux - Vino (Free)
    Colton J. Provias
    Film Score Composer, Location Sound Mixer, and Sound Editor
    Full-stack Web Developer

  7. #7

    Re: Video Editing Software

    If you are a Windows user, I can strongly recommend Vegas - especially for a musician/audio engineer. I use Sonar for MIDI, but I always do my mixing in Vegas. The full version is very powerful, but is much cheaper than Adobe Production CS3 or Final Cut.

    Vegas' user interface simply falls to hand. It follows most Windows UI conventions, and you can do most everything on a single large window. We use it for our Colonel Crush series, usually under time pressure.

    This past weekend we produced a 48-hour film. We got musical. I sequenced the temp MIDI in Sonar, exported the waves, then recorded the voices in Vegas. The workflow is perfect for looped multi-take recordings and punch ins. After recording a continuous set of takes, you just playback the loop and press "T" to hear the next take. As soon as you say "that's it!" you can move to the next phrase.

    The latest version of Vegas is 7. V8 will be announced next month. We do standard def, and still use V5. Take a look at B&H Photo and other online retailers. You can get pre-7 versions of Vegas (DVD only) for next to nothing.

    If you're on the Mac, never mind...

  8. #8
    Senior Member Steve_Karl's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2004
    Location
    Pittsburgh, PA 15206 USA
    Posts
    1,425

    Re: Video Editing Software

    Quote Originally Posted by JonFairhurst
    If you are a Windows user, I can strongly recommend Vegas - especially for a musician/audio engineer. I use Sonar for MIDI, but I always do my mixing in Vegas. The full version is very powerful, but is much cheaper than Adobe Production CS3 or Final Cut.

    Vegas' user interface simply falls to hand. It follows most Windows UI conventions, and you can do most everything on a single large window. We use it for our Colonel Crush series, usually under time pressure.

    This past weekend we produced a 48-hour film. We got musical. I sequenced the temp MIDI in Sonar, exported the waves, then recorded the voices in Vegas. The workflow is perfect for looped multi-take recordings and punch ins. After recording a continuous set of takes, you just playback the loop and press "T" to hear the next take. As soon as you say "that's it!" you can move to the next phrase.

    The latest version of Vegas is 7. V8 will be announced next month. We do standard def, and still use V5. Take a look at B&H Photo and other online retailers. You can get pre-7 versions of Vegas (DVD only) for next to nothing.

    If you're on the Mac, never mind...
    Jon,

    So, you're using Vegas also for the final render of your web movies?
    They do look great.

    Steve

  9. #9

    Post Re: Video Editing Software

    I am a Pinnacle Studio user, have been for years. While it is true version 8 had stability problems I have not had a single problem since version 9. The upside to Pinnacle is 1) Price - $79 - $99 depending on what you buy, 2) Plug in support. If you want an effect and you don't have it you can go to the download plug-ins section, download (and pay for) the right plug-in and use it without leaving Studio. I also think the user interface is very intuitive. I think I looked at the manual once.

    I've also seen Vegas (though I haven't used it) and it looks like a good program. Adobe products are ok, but to me to pricey.

    -Kevin
    We are the music makers, we are the dreamers of dreams …
    24" 2.4 Ghz iMac, OSX 10.4.10, MOTU 828 MKII, 2 Glyph 250 Gig external drives, Logic 9, Finale 2008 GPO, JABB, Strad, Gro, Reason 4, EWQL Storm Drum, Adrenaline, Symphonic Choirs, SO Gold,All Arturia Synths, Many NI Synths, Spectrasonics Synths, KH Strings, VEPro on a Windows 7 4x 2.8 Ghz 12 gig of RAM

  10. #10

    Re: Video Editing Software

    Thanks to all that have offered their suggestions and recommendations. You have certainly given me enough research to do.

    Best to all!

    Tom

Go Back to forum

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •