• Register
  • Help

Topic: GIF Memory

Re: GIF Memory

You probably have a video card (or built-in video) that steals some RAM from the main system. It\'s much better to have a video card that has its own RAM.

Try right-clicking MyComputer, select properties and look at the amount of RAM listed. If your amount is a power of two (e.g. 256 MB, 512, 768*, 1024, 1536*, 2048) then your video card has its own RAM. Otherwise your video card is stealing your resources.

* = not a power of 2, but a combination of different sized memory sticks.

GIF Memory

Can anybody help? There doesn\'t appear to be a software section so is it OK if I post here?

When I run multiple apps, like GS, GSeditor, Sequencer, and 2 instances of Samplitude, the graphics start to break up. Another program I had up once showed an error message saying I was short on GIF memory. Is that right? What is it? Can I do anything? It is a pain.

Thanks for reading

Thanks for replying. It sais 1022 Mb of RAM. The video card is Radeon 9200 with 128Mb. Might that not be enough?

1022. Suspicious. You might check your BIOS for video shadow RAM. If that\'s enabled, disable it. You should really be seeing 1024.

Is it enough? Type Crtl-Alt-Del and take a look at the task manager to see how much you\'re using at any given time for each app. 1GB is good. 2GB is better. [img]images/icons/smile.gif[/img]

Go Back to forum