• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: Anybody try the Tascam CVPiano yet

Anybody try the Tascam CVPiano yet

Anybody had a chance to try the Tascam CVPiano (Continuous Velocity Piano) yet. I am out of town and so have not had a chance to try it out for myself. Can't wait to get back to try this myself. Anybody try this yet??

St. John's NL

Re: Anybody try the Tascam CVPiano yet

It is pretty sweet. CPU intensive, but easy on the RAM. AFAIK, it's a free downlaod, too (or you already have it if you have GVI).

Hi Belbin:

Thanks for the feedback. I am still out of town and have not had a chance to try it yet. Do you know if you have to have GVI for it to work. I thought I heard it can be used as a stand along as well. Not 100% sure though. I do not have GVI, I only have GS3. Hope I can get this to work as a standalone.

I noticed that one right away when I installed GVI. It sounds really nice for a mere MB sized piano. That is the prime example of DEF in action.

I have added a little custom device to enhance it's sound even more. It's made in the Scope platform, and it is called PolyEK. It's a mid/side style EQ that works off of velocity polyphonically as well. And CVP sounds even better.

I think we will see alot of DEF based instruments in the near future. As the old GB sized libraries are nice, but wreak havoc on the memory subsystem, DEF based libraries have eliminated large uneeded layers, at the cost of CPU cycles, but still, with quad cores getting better, and developers optimising their apps for 64bit, and SSE4 / quad cores, I encourage this. As live performance is an apps real test, DEF excells there on my DAW's. It allows more instruments, all at the cost of CPU cycles. Since HDD's have topped out as far as maturity is concerned, this is a move in the right direction, at least until Seagate and Western Digital release their 8GB cache HDD models. Just kiddin' there, it was wishful thinking. Who knows what we will see w/ HDD's, but until then certain developers will not rest on their laurels and wait,...................right Mark?

Can someone post a brief demo of a slowish song? Maybe Amazing Grace, or something else in the public domain?

Thumbs up Re: Anybody try the Tascam CVPiano yet

Loaded it up yesterday. My machine is not powerful by today's standards P4 2.8mhz. As background, I use Gigastudio 3 Orchestra.

An observation in general; I am fairly surprised the NS boards are not plastered with more posts or samples about this tool - 2 days after release. Free, very novel approach and an important instrument (piano). The general and Gigastudio forums are just not lighting up - everyone on vacation? Industry that crowded with newness? A few years ago, I am sure the thread count would have been well into the 3 digits.

That aside, sorry I was not able to create a sample for anyone, but thoughts are:

Nice things so far discovered:

1. Install was a snap.
    2. Its seemingly free (no day counters, annoying pop-ups or anything).
    3. I was able to get up to 64 voices (32 notes) on my machine before CPU started not liking me. I set polyphony to 96, did a left hander and drove the machine nuts. . .leading to nice things number 4. . .
    4. Nice little reset button on the interface stopped all the notes and allowed me to lower max polyphony without leaving the session
    5. The piano plays nicely, smooth transition on velocity and key range
    6. Haven't played many Kawai's so not a sound I am overly familiar, but I found myself just noodling for a while. . .so for sure, a piano I will work with.
    7. The sustain pedal resonance up and down is a very cool effect. Adds a lot to interacting with the instrument
    8. Tascam included their effects for chaining in the tool.

Things I am curious about:

1. The PDF in the download talks about using the '.gig' file in Gigastudio but all I see in CVPiano is the ".gvi" file. So I assume that for this freebie, it comes as "rompler". What are plans for GS?
    2. The sustain pedal effect is very dramatic. . .wish there was a way to go in between on the resonance added. . maybe there is and I have not discovered yet. . also a limition of binary nature of midi sustain pedal.

Overall, you would be crazy not to take the time to download and give a try even if a Kawai is not your goto piano preference. Two very enthusiastic thumbs up. I hope that many 3rd party folks jump in and run with the concept of 'lite' mega libraries.

Here's a pic of what Scope does to an already responsive instrument.

The CVP is inside of the ASIO 2 module shown. It gets sent to a tube emulation device with inserts. In the insert is the fabulous DAS DynaPara EQ which is a 6 band mid/side dynamic parametric equalizer. It then gets sent to another custom device where each layer of the CVP gets it's own EQ attached through velocity. So if you liked CVP, you'll love it in a DSP based platform.

Another example of a great piano is Muse's DEF version called Classical Grand, and Jazz Grand. To make matters even more complicated, I still use Vintaudio's Upright Clinton, and it is my favorite jammin' 88'r. It seems as though you are sitting on a bench in a great honky tonk saloon, only the pedal up/down and the Lexicon PCM91 create the perfect ambience. DEF can make some instruments better and worse. It's a hit and miss in IMO. But when a developer creates using DEF from the get go, it's amazing how many more variations you can cram into a gsi.file, and for live players, this means you can fill up several instances of GVI with enumerous variations as well. It is more CPU intensive, but since GVI is multi core optimised, as well as Bidule, those cheap quad core Intels are perfect and beg for more. I still love my ancient Northwood, but it shall recieve proper burial in my studio where multiple takes are tolerated. Live, it'a quad cores and GVI, as GS3 just can't keep up.

I still haven't found the perfect piano for Debussey, and Chopin, but I am certain that GS4 should do that. Afterall, they always release free content that causes other developers to take notice. The trend of the new " GigaPiano " should be another leap. That's what causes sales for newly released products.

Strength And Honor,

Nice piano. I'm finding that I get a better sound from the low velocities if I use the Nonlinear velocity curve rather than the default Special velocity. They tend to have a little more volume with that setting, so the higher velocities don't jump out as much.

Some things I don't understand, however. (No real manual was included in the download.)

I really like the ability to choose from the many microphones. I don't quite understand, however, the Replacement microphone feature. You choose one mic in the Original Mic section, right? But why would you then choose an another mic in the Replacement mic area instead of just changing the original mic? I understand that the feature gives us more sound shaping ability, but what is the logic behind it?

And what does the V button do on the GigaPulse pages (it's to the right of the picture of the mic over the strings). Does it just turn on the impulse? Seems like an odd place to put such an important command. (And what does "V" stand for?

And does anyone have a reference that would tell us what the qualities of all of these mics are? Which tend to cut or accent which frequencies?

Hate to respond to my own post, but I found the answers to my questions after downloading the GigaPulse manaul from Tascam's site. You can find the page from which to download the Gigapulse manual here: http://www.tascam.com/details;8,7,48,19.html

1. The V is actually a down arrow that changes the picture to its left. Lets developers include a page with information about the sound space as well as a picture. There is no additional page for this default sound stage, so clicking on the button does nothing.

2. The Original mic drop down list lets you remove whatever effect (filtering, etc) the orginal mic had on the recording. (So we have to find out what mic was used to record this piano.) The Replacement mic drop down list lets you choose a new mic. You can leave both flat, but if you want to create the sound of a given mic, you should first eliminate the sound of the other mic by choosing it from the Original mic drop down list.

(By the way, the MD421 Emulated sounds great with this piano with just a "000 none--flat" setting for the Original mic.)

I´m new at the forum .
    I have one question about instalation - when I unziped it i can find only .giv files and .gx99 which can´t be open neither by CVPiano nor my GS3 Solo which I use. Is that anything else necessary to do ?
    Thanks for your help.

Go Back to forum