• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Topic: To the Dreams of My Life (JaBB)

Share/Bookmark

Smile To the Dreams of My Life (JaBB)

I just thought some of you would enjoy this little ballad.

If you feel the urge to comment, please do. You can comment on mix and musical content. I really do welcome everyones' critiques.

To the Dreams of My Life

By the way, everything is JaBB with the exception of the Strings (GPO) and the drums which were generated using the RealDrums in Band in a Box. If I ever learn to write good drum parts, I will use the JaBB drums because IMHO they sound excellent.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Rich

Re: To the Dreams of My Life (JaBB)

Rich,

Very, very nice. I like the melody and the orchestration.
    Drums sound nice, too. BIAB seems like a good solution for those of us who aren't percussionists.

Keith Walls

Thanks Keith,

RealDrums is a crutch but it can help us rhythmically challenged non-drummers

Rich

Rich,
    Nice and sweet Melody! I like it very much!
    Little critiques if you don't mind?

The drum patterns sound "not bad", except it is a bit too loud/Dry in the mix, while the bass is needed louder and dryer! Lack of balancing between the Bass and the Kick, in other words!

What I would do are to remove the Reverb/panning on the Bass, add Bass volume level (15-20% more) and reduce the Drum/Kick (about 15-20% less + no panning for the Kick if it was).

Hope this helps,

Long

What a very very nice melody and arrangement!

Rich,

I like it! It is late midnight here in Germany and your music now describes exactly the atmosphere. Calmly and peacefully.

Thank you for posting this!

My Best

Gunther
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Long,

You are absolutely right. I felt something didn't feel (sound) right and I believe you have pin pointed it. Duh, I learned that in sound engineering class and didn't really balance the bass and kick. Thanks for the hint. I will work on it again and use your suggestions.

Gunther,

Now, if I could just get the lyrics to this piece .

Thanks for the kind remarks. It is obvious from my title that I was thinking of a calm relaxed type of music when I wrote this.

Rich

Rich,

Very nice piece. When you get the percussion down a bit it will be nicer yet.

Gary

www.garybricault.com

Gary,

Thanks for the comments. Thy are appreciated. As a matter of fact, I just uploaded a different mix and took some of Lhong's suggestions on the Bass and Drums. The drums were lowered in DB level and the bass was re-done with a dryer sound. I hope this makes the difference in the mix.

Rich

Hi, Rich - It's always great to hear new music from you.

So, I'm hearing the new mix mentioned in your last post? It's a very pleasant tune, I can sure say that much with certainty.

What I'm hearing seems unclear in the bass - My understanding from this thread is that earlier you had even more reverb on the Bass? I'll tell you, my rule of thumb is to have exactly Zero reverb on the Bass - My mixes are so thick with instruments, I find the pop approach of having a totally dry Bass works best.

"...the drums which were generated using the RealDrums in Band in a Box. If I ever learn to write good drum parts, I will use the JaBB drums because IMHO they sound excellent..."

I don't know what happens exactly with "Real Drums" - are they audio tracks that you can do groove-clip type editing with? Or are they MIDI tracks? Because if they're MIDI tracks, you could use the data to drive the JABB drums. But I think you must mean they are editable audio tracks.- If you'd prefer to use the JABB trap set, and it sounds like you would, it's worth investigating the various MIDI drum track programs so you can assemble what you like and then use your kit of preference, JABB, for the final output.

The lead instruments seem to dominate So much in this track, and are resonating in some pronounced frequencies, throwing the balance of the mix off, especially in the first half.

I kept having the impulse to grab some controls to fix things as I listened, because it seemed Almost there - things like those mentioned above just kept interfering for it to be a satisfactory play back. But the essence of what I was hearing underneath it all was so mellow and nice.

Randy B.
    (rbowser)

Randy,

Thanks for the comments. First, the bass is dry in the mix. The drums were pulled back so that the kick and Bass matched as closely as I could get it. RealDrums is a Band in a Box generated Audio wave drum file. It is mixed by whatever scripting is in Band in a Box to connect various drum loops that are from an appropriate style. These loops are mixed somewhat at random in that every time BIAB plays the file, the drum line can be fresh and different (which obviously makes no difference when you drop the file into a sequencer). There is not much I can do with the file after it has been generated short of learning BIAB's scripting and set up my own criteria. I believe it would be easier to learn to program midi drum parts or (as you stated) midi drum loops and organize them. I am not comfortable with that, yet, but plan to develop better drum part writing.

I'm still learning Kontakt Player 2.2.3, so that comes first.

The lead instruments seem to dominate So much in this track, and are resonating in some pronounced frequencies, throwing the balance of the mix off, especially in the first half.
    I'm not quite sure what you are getting at here. I know that in my wave files on my sound card and in my studio, I don't hear the resonating frequencies. What is resonating? Mid-range? bass-range? Do you mean it sounds "muddy"?
    Too much reverb perhaps? I do know that my mp3's played on soundclick's player sound muddy to me. I usually download the file and listen on my sound card through a wave editing file.

I guess that is the hardest part of engineering. That is trying to make the piece sound good on the weakest of playback units. This is why I ask for comments and critiques and your points are well taken. I just need to know what you meant by the resonance problem. Obviously, if I don't hear it, I can't fix it. I Will give it a more critical listen. That's the nice thing about computers. You can always re-do, re-do, re-do and tweak until you are happy.

Rich

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast