• Register
  • Help

Topic: GPO, Finale 08 and Human Playback Error Message

Share/Bookmark

GPO, Finale 08 and Human Playback Error Message

I am using full GPO in Finale 2008 with Human Playback.

Whenever I have a score with any instrument needing two staves such as a piano, harp etc., I keep getting the following Human Playback warning message:

Human Playback Message

Some instruments are sharing the same MIDI channel which may cause playback problems.
    This is resolved by changing MIDI dhannels within the Instrument List.
    Do you want to continue with HP?

I checked the Instrument List and the only instrument sharing a MIDI channel was two staves of the piano.

Even scores created using the Finale 2008 Setup Wizard bring up this error message. I would have thought that the Setup Wizard would have set everything up to avoid any error messages.

I mentioned this in the Finale forums and received one reply which suggested that it should be safe to ignore the message unless there are different performance markings in the two staves. In this case, then each stave would require it's own channel and I fully understand this. I also know that most scores would have different performance markings in keyboard staves.

Can anyone here help me with the following two questions?

(1) Are differing performance markings in each stave the only issue to affect 'Human Playback' when sharing a MIDI channel in this way or are there any other issues?

(2) Should I be assigning a separate MIDI channel to every stave anyway whatever the situation come what may?

Below is a screenshot of a sample score which throws up the Human Playback error message.

Thanks.

Michael
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

Re: GPO, Finale 08 and Human Playback Error Message

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk
    I mentioned this in the Finale forums and received one reply which suggested that it should be safe to ignore the message unless there are different performance markings in the two staves. In this case, then each stave would require it's own channel
    I would say it depends on the performance markings. If they don't involve controllers, you shouldn't need two staves. At least, that is the case with F07. I guess F08 is similar in this respect. A piano, f.ex., relies completely on velocity for volume modulation, and since velocity is per note data you can have different volume on the two staves. You should use note attached dynamics expressions for this.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    I would say it depends on the performance markings. If they don't involve controllers, you shouldn't need two staves. At least, that is the case with F07. I guess F08 is similar in this respect. A piano, f.ex., relies completely on velocity for volume modulation, and since velocity is per note data you can have different volume on the two staves. You should use note attached dynamics expressions for this.
    Thanks Nickie,

What about harp, organ and harpsichord, do they need different considerations to the piano in this respect ie. should I be using separate channels for each of the two staves of these instruments? (I always use a separate channel for the organ pedal stave).

Thanks
    Michael

Quote Originally Posted by Michael_uk
    Thanks Nickie,

What about harp, organ and harpsichord, do they need different considerations to the piano in this respect ie. should I be using separate channels for each of the two staves of these instruments? (I always use a separate channel for the organ pedal stave).

Thanks
    Harp and Harpsichord: No. One channel should suffice. Unless you want different concurrent registering (Harpsichord (KeySwitches)) or playing style (Harp (KeySwitches)) on each staff, then yes.
    Organ: Depends. If it has CC controlled swelling and you don't want all staves to be affected by the swelling, then yes. Otherwise no - if you are content with the same sound on both/all staves. In general I would advice you to have one organ staff per channel, so you can have different registration on each staff.

Quote Originally Posted by Nickie Fønshauge
    Harp and Harpsichord: No. One channel should suffice. Unless you want different concurrent registering (Harpsichord (KeySwitches)) or playing style (Harp (KeySwitches)) on each staff, then yes.
    Organ: Depends. If it has CC controlled swelling and you don't want all staves to be affected by the swelling, then yes. Otherwise no - if you are content with the same sound on both/all staves. In general I would advice you to have one organ staff per channel, so you can have different registration on each staff.
    Thanks again Nickie,

I do assign a separate part for each organ registration usually with two staves. I was just checking that, apart from different performance markings issues, there is no other reason for not sharing MIDI channels. You have answered this for me so thanks again.
    Michael

Go Back to forum