• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: music for the morning sunlight (string quartet)

music for the morning sunlight (string quartet)

This string quartet uses 2 violins, a viola and a cello. Please listen and comment. Thanks -Jay

Re: music for the morning sunlight (string quartet)

Nice writing, Mr. Jay. Good blend. Tasteful progressions. Sad but pretty.

Thanks for posting your fine music.

My best,

Larry G. Alexander

Hi, Jay

Your rich sense of musicality comes through so nicely in this morning sunlight piece.

I felt it could use some smoothing out, to better carry the slightly melancholic, gentle mood that's otherwise permeating the composition.

I'm listening again with admiration.

Randy B.

Hi Jay,

I like this little piece of yours! It is well written.
    It is really delightful to hear how the instruments take turn and weave one into the other in continuous playfulness.
    It is a very gentle piece but I miss some gentle dynamic expression to go with it

Thanks Larry. The piece does get a little sad at points. I did try to make it more cheery at the end though.

Thank you very much Randy. In what way would you suggest smoothing it out? I am always interested in improving my stuff.

I am glad that you liked it Yudit. Getting just the right dynamic expression is always challenge.

thank you all -Jay

Very nice Jay.

I would say you are classically romantic. It is very gentle and light. The balance sounds good to me (not to much left or right of center but definitely in a stereo field).

The only comment I would give as a suggestion (and perhaps personal taste affects this) is to get a little more dynamic contrast and a little more rubato in places. Loosen up the timing a little.Push it forward and then pull back at the cadences. Again, personal taste so take it with a grain of sand.
    [Music is the Rhythm, Harmony and Breath of Life]
    "Music is music, and a note's a note" - Louis 'Satchmo' Armstrong

Shelton, Washington State

I thought it was very nice.

I think through out this piece there were short happy moments that would fade back into sadness, like a eulogy.

Bellingham, WA

I was quite carried away with your period piece. I don't hear happy, sad, etc. but major, minor melodies and harmonies and this is very well done. I agree with RichR, that a little stretching at the cadences would work well within the confines of this idiom.
    Very easy to listen to.

Hello Jay,

this is a nice melody, sometimes sadness..., so it is very good to describe the morning sunlight in china, where the air is so dirty...., or in a film to describe the next day morning after a big fight in a war.... .

Many feelings inside, I like it!

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Rich thanks for listening and commenting. I am glad that you liked it. I appreciate your suggestions. I think I have the dynamics and tempi where I want it for now, but I plan to experiment with it some.

Phil, I think flipping back and forth between major and minor modes changes the mood of the piece. Thank you for liking it.

Steve, I am pleased that you like this. I guess the cadences could be stretched out more. Thanks for commenting.

Thank you for liking this Gunther. I was originally thinking of a string quartet sitting on the porch in the early moring, playing this song in the morning sunlight. It ended up developing into something a little more moody than I originally intended. Thanks for listening and commenting.

Go Back to forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast