• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: How much RAM?

Share/Bookmark

Question How much RAM?

I'm about to order my machine for running the Vienna strings. I don't know if there's any point loading more than 2GB RAM though. I was going to buy WinXP 64bit, which I understand should address plenty of RAM. The motherboard and processor are 64bit compatible. But I believe that Cubase 4 is a 32bit host, and I'm not sure about the VI player. If Cubase is only 32bit, does this mean I will still be limited to loading 2GB?

Re: How much RAM?

You can load around 2.5-2.7GB in XP32. Probably around 3.5ish in XP64 (I haven't tested this), but you have to make sure that all the divers are available.

D

Hi Pingu,

here is an optimized PC configuration for the use with big sample-instruments and with 3 GB RAM. Sorry, the most is written in german, but some in english and you can read the technique details... .

http://www.da-x.de/PC-Audiosysteme/4-Kern-Systeme/Audioworkstation-Extreme-Quad::9872.html
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist
    Hi Pingu,

here is an optimized PC configuration for the use with big sample-instruments and with 3 GB RAM. Sorry, the most is written in german, but some in english and you can read the technique details... .

http://www.da-x.de/PC-Audiosysteme/4-Kern-Systeme/Audioworkstation-Extreme-Quad::9872.html
    Vielen Dank germancomponist. Ich spreche seit 14 Jahren gar kein Deutsch, doch ich kann immer noch ein kleines Bisschen verstehen.

Quote Originally Posted by Pingu
    Vielen Dank germancomponist. Ich spreche seit 14 Jahren gar kein Deutsch, doch ich kann immer noch ein kleines Bisschen verstehen.
    Hey coooool! Hast du einmal in Deutschland gelebt? = Have you lived in Germany a time?
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Quote Originally Posted by germancomponist
    Hey coooool! Hast du einmal in Deutschland gelebt? = Have you lived in Germany a time?
    Na klar! Zwischen 1991 und 1993 war ich Missionar der Kirche Jesu Christi der Heiligen der Letzten Tage (Mormone). Ich lebte ein ganzes Jahr in Berlin, vier Monate in Magdeburg, drei Monate in Eisenhuettenstadt und fuenf Monate in Schwedt an der Oder. Leider hatte ich die Sprache nicht vorher studiert, und weil ich sie deshalb sehr rasch lernen musste, habe ich sehr viele Unarten gelernt, und mein geschriebenes Deutsch ist einfach schrecklich.

Pingu,
    On the machines I mentioned in the other thread I have 4 gigs of RAM in each -- and I can load about 2.5 gigs of sounds in each under Windows 32 bit and the 3 gig switch. The VI player is not 64 bit yet. Here's hoping soon though.

I would recommend getting 4 gigs of RAM as it's fairly inexpensive right now. You'll want to load up as many patches as possible.

My thinking was, because 4 gigs of RAM is 4 separate modules they would fill up all the slots in my motherboard. But the 1 gig modules are the easiest to find and the cheapest at the moment. But the plan is, when I upgrade to 64 bit and VI is 64 bit, I will build another computer, move two of the modules to the new computer, and then buy 2 sets of 2 gig modules for each computer. So in the end I would have 2 computers with 6 gigs RAM each -- if you follow me.

Well, anyway, more RAM the better.

Mahlon

Thanks Mahlon. That's pretty much the way I've decided to go too, in fact I ordered a quad core with 4GB this afternoon. I think when 64bit becomes viable I'll probably just kepp this machine as it is, with just Cubase and the Vienna strings on it, but add some 64 slaves. I've been poking around the FX-max site, and it sounds like the host version of FXTeleport will continue to be 32bit, whilst the server/wrapper part will be 64 bit.

we actually just upgraded to 16Gb

http://www.da-x.de/PC-Audiosysteme/S...GB::10389.html

Quote Originally Posted by Disko300 View Post
    Thanks for that. I was kind of surprised to see this thread come back, but also very excited. With VSL Player about to hit, and be 64 bit ready, I'm thinking I could now get a slave which would run a significant part of my orchestra in one go, and leave my older machines to handle other stuff. I'll be looking at this again in September when I get my paycheck for exam marking.

Go Back to forum