• Register
  • Help
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Topic: Dongles

Share/Bookmark

Dongles

I have been using dongle free apps for years, but recently have added K2, GVI, AZ, Muse, and Cubase 4.

Seems like everybody hates them, but in the future most apps will require them. Unless you use a DSP based Platform, which does rule supreme still.

But I was nervous about these little blue sticks even after I put 5 licenses on one stick.

Since I play live and tend to get rather involved with the audience, the thought of theft had occured, which really made me nervous. So I simply put the dongle inside the DAW ( 4U ATX ), and sleeved it as well. Now I can relax in knowing that it ain't going anywhere w/o me seeing it happen.

As a precaution, I put all of them on my Cubase 4 dongle, as that is a worthless app live IMO, and if it does get lost, I still have all of the other dongles to make a new one with. The Cubase 4 CD does however make a great coaster for my drinks, so it wasn't a total waste of money.

Re: Dongles

Quote Originally Posted by scope4live
    I have been using dongle free apps for years, but recently have added K2, GVI, AZ, Muse, and Cubase 4.

Seems like everybody hates them, but in the future most apps will require them. Unless you use a DSP based Platform, which does rule supreme still.

But I was nervous about these little blue sticks even after I put 5 licenses on one stick.

Since I play live and tend to get rather involved with the audience, the thought of theft had occured, which really made me nervous. So I simply put the dongle inside the DAW ( 4U ATX ), and sleeved it as well. Now I can relax in knowing that it ain't going anywhere w/o me seeing it happen.

As a precaution, I put all of them on my Cubase 4 dongle, as that is a worthless app live IMO, and if it does get lost, I still have all of the other dongles to make a new one with. The Cubase 4 CD does however make a great coaster for my drinks, so it wasn't a total waste of money.
    I use Sonar, Fruity Loops, NI, and Sony products and I don't have to worry about losing a dongle or keeping track of one.

GVI was my first dongled product. It's not as bad as I thought.

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy
    GVI was my first dongled product. It's not as bad as I thought.
    Mine too. It's been in there so long that when I installed Steinberg's VGuitar2, I couldn't remember what it was for. Soon we'll have to buy dongle hubs.
    Sonar6PE,GS3Orch,GVI,Reason3.0,Batt.3,StylusRMX w/Exp,Trilogy,B4ll,VGuitar2,TranslatorPro,CoolEditPr o2.1, K2500XL,2xIBMM51P4530HT/80GBSATA/3GBDDR/350watts,2xWD149GBFW,Delta1010,MidiTimepieceAV,2x1 604,20/20,on & on..........

Chance favors the prepared mind. Since I will be galavanting in the hallways where the dancers stretch out to warm up for the shows, having my dongles locked inside of the DAW is the perfect solution. You can download and transfer several license's to one USB device. Pick the one least used and save the others in a safe place at home. I pick Cubase 4 for that, since it is unsuitable for live work, and if it gets lost oh well, I will transfer my tracks from hardware to Sonar via Creamware's 32bit integer recording app., which BTW sounds better than 32bit floating point. Only noticable during the summing process, but that's where it counts for me anyway.

Chance favors the prepared mind. Since I will be galavanting in the hallways where the dancers stretch out to warm up for the shows, having my dongles locked inside of the DAW is the perfect solution. You can download and transfer several license's to one USB device. Pick the one least used and save the others in a safe place at home. I pick Cubase 4 for that, since it is unsuitable for live work, and if it gets lost oh well, I will transfer my tracks from hardware to Sonar via Creamware's 32bit integer recording app., which BTW sounds better than 32bit floating point. Only noticable during the summing process, but that's where it counts for me anyway.
    Who is that masked man? (Excerpt from "The Lone Ranger")
    -Rajay
    Sonar6PE,GS3Orch,GVI,Reason3.0,Batt.3,StylusRMX w/Exp,Trilogy,B4ll,VGuitar2,TranslatorPro,CoolEditPr o2.1, K2500XL,2xIBMM51P4530HT/80GBSATA/3GBDDR/350watts,2xWD149GBFW,Delta1010,MidiTimepieceAV,2x1 604,20/20,on & on..........

Quote Originally Posted by rajay
    Mine too. It's been in there so long that when I installed Steinberg's VGuitar2, I couldn't remember what it was for. Soon we'll have to buy dongle hubs.
    I always looked for alternative products that don't need a dongle. There was a big thread at KVR on this. Most people refuse to buy products protected by iLok but Syncrosoft seems OK.

It would have been better if GS3 used a dongle. I have 3 machines and at least you get find out which machine it works or doesn't work on.

I figured the GVI $75 upgrade wasn't a big risk to try dongled software.

IK Multimedia dropped the dongle. I wonder why? Maybe it hurt their sales.

Quote Originally Posted by kitekrazy
    IK Multimedia dropped the dongle. I wonder why? Maybe it hurt their sales.
    Maybe they didn't want to eat the cost of the dongles anymore. Kinda makes one wonder... at what point does a software maker figure there are enough dongles out there to sell a piece of software with just an activation code that the customer uses to put a license on the dongle they already have?

- G

Developers must pay for those services, but they do protect the developers IMO. Transferring several elicenses to 1 dongle is no trouble.

Think of all the sales previous developers lost because of guys buying LSAD for example, then turning around and re selling it after they installed it on their HDD's.

Greed is mans purest emotion no doubt, but the cowardly little beotch's that pull these stunts only cause us to lose good developers IMO.

Vintaudio made some really good content for us, but I suspect he would have still been making content if he could have made a few more nickels and dimes.

Just My 2 cents.

I got GVI recently, and misplaced the dongle. I have a dongle for VSL which uses the same type of licening. How do I either replace the dongle, or get the one from VSL to work?

Developers must pay for those services, but they do protect the developers IMO. Transferring several elicenses to 1 dongle is no trouble.

Think of all the sales previous developers lost because of guys buying LSAD for example, then turning around and re selling it after they installed it on their HDD's.

Greed is mans purest emotion no doubt, but the cowardly little beotch's that pull these stunts only cause us to lose good developers IMO.

Vintaudio made some really good content for us, but I suspect he would have still been making content if he could have made a few more nickels and dimes.

Just My 2 cents.
    Cakewalk seems to be thriving without any elaborate scheme. I wonder why that is?

Go Back to forum