• Register
  • Help

Topic: Convolution and iLok

Convolution and iLok

I've been planning to buy convolution reverb for a long time. I'm very convinced Altiverb is the best there is and I tried the demo some years ago (their demo section has been offline for some time).

There's just this one but. iLok. Both Altiverb and Waves require this horrible device that dooms us to live in agony. xD No, I'm overdoing. But I'm just stating here aloud that I refuse to buy a product that requires some physical device to run for no reason. It's a different thing if this device is some device that actually does something and is really needed, but as a laptop guy, I just won't buy stuff like that.

So Gary, heed my call for help. With your new sampler with convolution and all the new amazing stuff, let us have a way to use it as a convolution reverb fx for normal audio too. I don't care if this is even with some extra price, since I was willing to pay over 500 euros for Altiverb.

So whoever gives a product that settles for some software based authorization, I'm fine with that and I will become a happy customer.

I'm just so sad things go this way. I know there has been lots of discussion about copy protection in one other thread and maybe I'm cross-talking, my apologies.

But it's just so sad. Same thing with the very cool orchestral percussion library called Storm Drum. Oh why oh why.

I don't know if I could live with a USB key. I don't want to. It almost feels like giving up free will and becoming a slave. I will find some other way and fight that stupid system. I want to pay for software I use and I'm happy to, but I don't want to pay for software that comes with conditions like this.

Re: Convolution and iLok

HI Karvasika,

I totally agree about hardware locking, but it looks like you have a choice. I just looked at audioease's website and they offer a software solution choice as well:

An Altiverb Authorization can be stored on your computer (via challenge/response) or on an iLok smart Key USB dongle. Both methods authorize your machine right away, there's no waiting. The authorization process is designed such that you will be guided through it step by step.
    Authorization instruction
    Run the Altiverb installer application from your CD-Rom or from your download. It will guide you through the authorization process step by step. At a certain point you will need a computer connected to the internet, but it does not have to be your Altiverb computer.
    1. Authorizing using the iLok Smart Key
    The iLok smart key enables you to carry many of your authorizations with you wherever you go using a single key. It's portable, iLok enables you to easily move authorizations from one computer to another. Use your software at home, at the office, at a studio, or at a friend's house.

Authorizations are stored in the safe, secure iLok - not on a computer or hard drive. iLok is immune to problems caused by machine upgrades, disk maintenance, hardware failures, and software updates.
    iLoks can be purchased at www.iLok.com, or www.digidesign.com.
    Audio Ease will swiftly supply new authorizations for broken or lost iLok dongles. Altiverb iLok licenses can be freely moved between iLoks in your account and can be put on any iLok dongle, including your Pro Tools or Waves dongle.

2. Authorizing using Challenge Response
    If you use this authorization method, you authorize your computer. This means only the authorized computer can run Altiverb. If you sell your computer, you may want to authorize a new computer. In that case we will ask you to de-authorize your old computer first, and then authorize your new computer. Please email Audio Ease when you need this.
    If, at a later stage, you obtain an iLok Smart Key, we can put the authorization from your computer into your iLok Smart Key Please email Audio Ease when you wish to do so.

You just saved my day! I totally missed this! I guess I had read it but somehow managed to forget that.

Well, I still agree with myself when it comes to other such products, such as Storm Drum. I'm very happy being an Ableton Live user since the sequencers seem to have the key too nowadays. At least so far Live doesn't have it..

Sorry for being a bit over dramatic. xD

I totally agree with you Karvasika. I too flatly refuse to buy software that uses dongles and this is the main initial reason I went with Sonar instead of Cubase.

I second your plea to Gary with his 'Real Spaces'. For those who actually prefer dongles the choice of authorisation sounds an ideal solution.
    Patience is a virtue, sensitivity is a gift

I never have had any problem with the iLok...... .

For me, it is a great thing. You can install your program on many computers and when you push the iLok into it, all works fine without new registration.... .

"Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

And when you lose the device?

Quote Originally Posted by AlanPerkins
    And when you lose the device?
    This device is same important as my wife.... .
    "Music is the shorthand of emotion." Leo Tolstoy

Listen to me, tuning my triangle http://www.box.net/shared/ae822u6r3i

Bag the boondoggle dongles in the bog!

Go Back to forum