• Register
  • Help

Topic: Kirk Hunter

Share/Bookmark

Kirk Hunter

Hey... I'm new to Logic Pro and I've been reading that EXS is great as far as cpu and such is concerned... I already own the Kontakt set of emerald, but I was wondering if I would benefit from crossgrading to the EXS set. I would love to really get into this sampler... I love Kontakt, but it just makes sense to us all the tools in Logic together...

Thanks in advance.

Re: Kirk Hunter

Quote Originally Posted by rdonnelly
    Hey... I'm new to Logic Pro and I've been reading that EXS is great as far as cpu and such is concerned... I already own the Kontakt set of emerald, but I was wondering if I would benefit from crossgrading to the EXS set. I would love to really get into this sampler... I love Kontakt, but it just makes sense to us all the tools in Logic together...

Thanks in advance.
    I would say yes. Save Kontakt for libraries the EXS24 cannot do.
    Composer, Logic Certified Trainer, Level 2,
    author of "Going Pro with Logic Pro 9."

www.jayasher.com

I would recommend that you use kontakt, since Kirk built it for kontakt, the exs controls will be a little lacking in functionality and interface as far as your experience with kontakt. Kirk is still working on mastering the programming in the exs24 so kontakt would be more efficient (beleive it or not) Don't get me wrong, Kirk has done stuff with the esx24 that most developer's didn't even think was possible. So if you have the money, and really like your exs24, the you should do it to see if it does it for you.

I guess I'm really looking for what will suit my computer best. Right now with Kontakt I'm running 3 different instances of it in Logic, I haven't decided if I'm better off running kontakt as a standalone, and I'm able to get some work done, but the way my enviroment is set up I'm not really able to freeze anything... I haven't really figured that out yet.

I guess I just can't decide if I want to spend the extra money and find out that I'm not any better off than I was with Kontakt. I guess if I used EXS then I would be opening a different instance for each instrument... or maybe even for each articulation.... I wonder when I would reach my limits...

Any suggestions...

What kind of computer do you have?

It is really simple. Sonically there is no significant difference. The more CPU efficiency is the issue the more using the EXS24 instead of Kontakt will help you.

www.jayasher.com

I have an imac 1.83 GHz intel with 2 gigs of ram

I don't feel like I can run Kirk's samples well, at least not the way I'm trying to with Kontakt. So I guess I'm just wondering if you think I could load a full orchestra with the EXS version...

Quote Originally Posted by rdonnelly
    I have an imac 1.83 GHz intel with 2 gigs of ram

I don't feel like I can run Kirk's samples well, at least not the way I'm trying to with Kontakt. So I guess I'm just wondering if you think I could load a full orchestra with the EXS version...
    I think if you choose the right combo of instruments, yes. I can on my G5 Dual 2.0. which has 4 gig but until recently only had 2.

BTW, here is something people don't always understand about the EXS24 and it is also true for Kontakt I believe. If you have 16 EXS24s assigned to one voice or 1 EXS24 assigned to 16 voices the CPU hit is exactly the same. A lot of patches in every EXS24 library default to way many more voices than needed, i.e. flute, oboe, etc. so if you lower the number of voices and save the preset you have more power. It takes some time but may be worth it.

www.jayasher.com

You have a point with the amount of voices... I was working with that last night and was able to do much more... I also started purging samples if I didn't need them at the moment, which helped a ton...

Thanks for the information, I guess I just need to really think about what I want to do... it's just hard to shell out more money for the same samples in a different format.

Go Back to forum